• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Winterwatch 2024 (1 Viewer)

What are your chances of going out on ONE boat trip and seeing Orcas predating seals right in front of you? I doubt they had a lot of time in advance of the series for filming this, so I can imagine this was a genuine one take sighting, although no doubt helped by spotters to help them find the Orca.

Great footage anyway, as long as you're not a seal.

I've been to Shetland but not Orkney, so it's great to see somewhere different on one of the 'watches. Looking forward to the rest of Gillian's segments.

What are your chances of going out on ONE boat trip and seeing Orcas predating seals right in front of you? I doubt they had a lot of time in advance of the series for filming this, so I can imagine this was a genuine one take sighting, although no doubt helped by spotters to help them find the Orca.

Great footage anyway, as long as you're not a seal.

I've been to Shetland but not Orkney, so it's great to see somewhere different on one of the 'watches. Looking forward to the rest of Gillian's segments.
I've been to both and feel that I've more to do on Orkney as I haven't visited the areas good for Short-eared Owls and Hen Harriers, nor do I yet have a photo of Orkney Vole. I haven't seen Orca there due partly to timing of visits, which was influenced at least once by a Bearded Seal twitch. In season I think they can be very good and perhaps a little easier than Shetland.

I've had Orca several times on Shetland where getting a good sighting without the help of locals, spotters and boatmen can be challenging but we've seen them several times and really close once.

John

I've had Orca several times on Shetland where getting a good sighting without the help of locals, spotters and boatmen can be challenging but we've seen them several times and really close once.

John
I've seen regular reports of Orca from Shetland on social media. But I was just thinking how lucky it would be to turn up, go out on your first boat trip and then see behaviour like this.

That being said, my very first boat trip from Tobermory brought us Minke Whales, Common Dolphins and Harbour Porpoises within an hour or two, so when your luck is in....

i think he's a bit of a pervert
Quite apart from relations between male and female being not yet describable as perverted, these are two experienced presenters who have worked together for many years and know exactly how far they can go. It always seems a bit too teenage to me but there's always the off button if it gets too much for anyone.

John

Overall I was a little underwhelmed by the first episode. Did they have to bang on so long about Waxwings ? OK, they're a special bird, but they took almost 20 minutes to talk about them.

Quite apart from relations between male and female being not yet describable as perverted, these are two experienced presenters who have worked together for many years and know exactly how far they can go. It always seems a bit too teenage to me but there's always the off button if it gets too much for anyone.

John
alway smutty innuendo,

I enjoyed it too, especially the Orca segment and the Goldeneye film.

I don't mind the Packham / Strachan combo, it gets a bit silly at times but I can live with that...Packham just needs to stop force-feeding us his political opinions.

Also...I'm pretty sure that was a North American Red Fox on the opening credits, it sure looked like one with that very distinctive face.

I enjoyed it too, especially the Orca segment and the Goldeneye film.

I don't mind the Packham / Strachan combo, it gets a bit silly at times but I can live with that...Packham just needs to stop force-feeding us his political opinions.

Also...I'm pretty sure that was a North American Red Fox on the opening credits, it sure looked like one with that very distinctive face.
Didn't hear any political opinions on either programme?

I am very much enjoying this year's Winterwatch. It has come a long way from the tedious roaring Red Deer stags which dominated the early series. I also really appreciate Gillian's contributions these days. She seems like a completely different presenter when she can work on her own using her own style. As an aside, does anybody know which binoculars she uses? They look like reverse porros to me which is an unusual and refreshingly modest choice. As she spends much of her time looking at small, close subjects, I suppose it makes a lot of sense in her case.

Ron

I am very much enjoying this year's Winterwatch. It has come a long way from the tedious roaring Red Deer stags which dominated the early series. I also really appreciate Gillian's contributions these days. She seems like a completely different presenter when she can work on her own using her own style. As an aside, does anybody know which binoculars she uses? They look like reverse porros to me which is an unusual and refreshingly modest choice. As she spends much of her time looking at small, close subjects, I suppose it makes a lot of sense in her case.

Ron
I did wonder if they were Pentax Papilio's

I’m enjoying the series nice they are talking about different type of wildlife instead of the usual ones they always keep repeating on .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back