• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Winterwatch 2022 (1 Viewer)

The mysterious but fascinating thermal light image of geese flying at night was a joy to behold. Like a dark tidal sea flow advancing very slowly landwards. Also enjoyed seeing the very elusive and secretive jack snipe a bird I have seen but not too many times, perhaps only half a dozen or so times in over 50 years of birding. All in all a decent show, even pardoning Megan's appalling pronunciations of Irish place names.

Si

To be fair she mispronounced a few other everyday words that I think were just natural variation in speech. The other presenters do this too. So I would put it down unintended slips rather than her thinking that was how places were pronounced. I'm sure there are names of places we all get wrong.

Indeed, but one would think a presenter would check how names of towns in the country she was visiting were pronounced.

Indeed, but one would think a presenter would check how names of towns in the country she was visiting were pronounced.
The BBC used to have a pronunciation department but judging from output across the Corporation it is either gone or no longer compulsory to consult it.... However I got the impression from other words that Megan mispronounced that I am fairly sure were familiar to her, that what we have been seeing is largely caused by reading from the autocue. I also saw Chris at one point stumble over a word that he must have known and I reckon that was the cause.

John

Autocue! :eek: You mean it is all scripted! :eek: Lordy lordy! 🤣

I think you may well be right.

A small thing that really annoys me every time is Chris Packham's habit of pronouncing 'Extraordinary' as if it is two words. He seems to do it at least once every episode.

While we're on the subject, the increasing tendency amongst BBC news reporters to pronounce 'Mandatory' as 'Man-DATE-ory' also grates.

I feel much better now I've got those off my chest.

A small thing that really annoys me every time is Chris Packham's habit of pronouncing 'Extraordinary' as if it is two words. He seems to do it at least once every episode.

While we're on the subject, the increasing tendency amongst BBC news reporters to pronounce 'Mandatory' as 'Man-DATE-ory' also grates.

I feel much better now I've got those off my chest.
The only bright side is that Chris's pronunciation prevents him from having to emphasise in the British fashion "man-da- TORY" which I think would be complete anathema to him.....

John

To be fair she mispronounced a few other everyday words that I think were just natural variation in speech. The other presenters do this too. So I would put it down unintended slips rather than her thinking that was how places were pronounced. I'm sure there are names of places we all get wrong.

The only bright side is that Chris's pronunciation prevents him from having to emphasise in the British fashion "man-da- TORY" which I think would be complete anathema to him.....

John
My favourite 'don't say it as it's spelt' word was last week when some woman on TV pronounced 'envelope' as the thing you put a letter into instead of meaning 'wrap around'. It was a news reporter I think.

It was a good 2 weeks and 2 weeks at least it should be.

They twice mentioned hoping to be back at Wild Ken Hill in the spring. It is quite a spectacular location and a lot of wildlife but new places should be tried. They have had 3 visits to East Anglia over the last 15 years.

It was a good 2 weeks and 2 weeks at least it should be.

They twice mentioned hoping to be back at Wild Ken Hill in the spring. It is quite a spectacular location and a lot of wildlife but new places should be tried. They have had 3 visits to East Anglia over the last 15 years.
Yes but they report from other locations during every series, and I think they are also keen to run a whole year at each site they use now, which makes a good deal of sense. The main site has to have a wider selection of stuff than most of the fringes of the UK: look at back issues on here and see what people think of Red Deer rut year after year as supposedly a central plank of the programme...

John

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back