• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wisconsin Winter Accipiter (1 Viewer)

KeeleyJones

United States
Hello all! I'm new and in need of some help!
We are in northern WI, east of Minneapolis and we have a smaller accipiter hanging around. I'm happy to see it hunting around our bird feeders, circle of life and all. Just means we have decent habitat, right? The question is, what is this bird?
Plumage leads me to think its a broad-shouldered hawk and not a Cooper's hawk, but everything I'm reading says B-S hawks don't stay in Wisconsin over winter? We've had B-S nesting over the summer, so we know they are in the area.
Its def. too small to be a Red Winged and too big to be a sharp-shinned. I'm still new to birding, so I'm not sure how steadfast the winter habitat suggestions are for the B-S are. I'm also not confident in how long immature/juvenile keep their youthful plumage, would it make more sense that it is an immature Coopers's?
Thanks in advance- I appreciate any insight!
Best, Keeley

Thanks! I wasn't fast enough this morning, but I'll keep an eye out. So, its more likely that its a juvenile Cooper's then? Because B-S don't actually winter here?
Yes. (I'm not sure if you're talking about Broad-winged or Red-shouldered but neither is normally found here in winter).

A lot of confusion with names here...
Broad-winged hawk: definitely won't be present in Jan.
Red-shouldered hawk: I think very unlikely to be present in Jan?
Red-tailed hawk: seems unlikely from your description.
Note that judging the size of a lone bird is notoriously unreliable.
I fear there's nothing in your description (including size) that would permit a distinction between Cooper's hawk and sharp-shinned hawk.

A lot of confusion with names here...
Broad-winged hawk: definitely won't be present in Jan.
Red-shouldered hawk: I think very unlikely to be present in Jan?
Red-tailed hawk: seems unlikely from your description.
Note that judging the size of a lone bird is notoriously unreliable.
I fear there's nothing in your description (including size) that would permit a distinction between Cooper's hawk and sharp-shinned hawk.
Red-shouldered isn't really any more likely than Broad-winged in northern Wisconsin in January.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back