• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodcreepers from Peruvian west-central lowlands (1 Viewer)

Thibaud

Hi,

I just came back from 2 weeks at the wonderful El Paujil biological station, in the Yanachaga Chemillen NP of central Peru. This is where the last Andean foothills drop down to Amazonia, and the station itself sits around 400 masl.

While I was there, I regularly saw mid-sized woodcreepers, which I think are Xiphorhynchus. Based on the few ebird checklists from the area, Elegant woodcreeper is the expected species, but looking at drawings and photos online, I am having a real hard time telling it apart from Ocellated.

More importantly, I'm not even sure that my photos are good enough to assign the birds to species! (First photo is one bird, the other 2 are another)

What say the experts?

Many thanks in advance.

Thibaud

Attachments

• f31619072 crop.jpg
    f31619072 crop.jpg
    785.4 KB · Views: 25
  • f33510144 crop.jpg
    f33510144 crop.jpg
    712.6 KB · Views: 23
  • f33661952 crop.jpg
    f33661952 crop.jpg
    736.1 KB · Views: 20
Aha that makes good sense. Of course the birds I saw were quiet, and having listened to recordings of both, I can't remember with certainty whether I heard either at any point while there.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back