• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodpeckers (1 Viewer)

Ok then The Merlin, I found one more thing in the Ortho Book and I find this interesting. It states: The diet of the Red-bellied Woodpecker consists primarily of vegetable matter. It will occasionally glean beetles and insect larvae from tree bark. It also on occasion forages for food on the ground and avails itself of suet,peanut butter,sunflower seed,and cracked corn at feeding stations.

Our Downy House fell down in high winds here a few days agos ago,but I am going to get it back up and see if by trying some of these different foods, especially that vegetable matter, I can entice more Woodpeckers to that House.

We have only had one Red-bellied Woodpecker stop in to eat and he did not use the feeders or the box. He hung on the trunk of the Pine Tree next to the driveway.

If none show up, I'll just B :)

Sorry I didn't figure it out soon enough Oldbird! I just want to try the recipe and went off on a side detour thinking I needed to put the mixture through something like a pepper mill. Duh! Sometimes I am sooooo dense,it scares even ME!!!!

I will make this today and let you know how it turns out. I hope the birds here know a homemade recipe when they taste it:))) Yummy!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back