• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Worcestershire Butterflies,Moths and Dragonflies (1 Viewer)

Saw my first Red-eyed Damselfly of the year along the River Salwarpe at Upton Warren NR late morning (see record shot below):

There seems to be quite a few Red-eyed this year, often along the east track, pointing to the garden pond as the source. The Broadmeadow pool could also be their home.

Des.

A teneral Scarce Chaser was present at Hillditch Pool today.

Other species noted were Broad-bodied Chaser, Azure Damselfly, Banded Demoiselle, Beautiful Demoiselle, Blue-tailed Damselfly, Common Blue Damselfly, Large Red Damselfly and Red Eyed Damselfly.

Attachments

• Female Beautiful Demoiselle - Hillditch, 26th May 2014.jpg
    Female Beautiful Demoiselle - Hillditch, 26th May 2014.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 41
This flew in and landed and away in a few seconds at the small pond/hide at feckenham today....
Keith :t:

Attachments

• New Canon 25 022.JPG
    New Canon 25 022.JPG
    430.8 KB · Views: 60
Along the river severn in worcester today I saw Emerald Damselfly, several Banded Demoiselles and a common club-tail. There were also common blue butterflies

Thought this was a dead leaf as my foot brushed against it - but after walking on I decided to have another look and saw it was a moth.....a good 2 inch (50mm) with a brown body......trying to move some grasses it came on my finger and left a milky white liquid behind.
Had to dash back to the car for camera and back again and luckily it was still there.
Couldn't find anything near it on the site I use.

Attachments

• 01062014_25.JPG
    01062014_25.JPG
    245.9 KB · Views: 45
Thanks woodwolf coming to my aid again.......no wonder I could not find it as its a Female and the Male is a spooky White.
Was it going to bed or about to wake up ?

Found this rather stunning immature female Scarce Chaser near the River Avon at Eckington this afternoon:

Attachments

• Scarcechaserfieck.jpg
    Scarcechaserfieck.jpg
    471.9 KB · Views: 70
Some from the fields above Bittell......

p.s......Has anyone seen Brown Argus in the fields above Bittell ?

Attachments

• New Canon 44 015_filtered.jpg
    New Canon 44 015_filtered.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 45
  • New Canon 44 049 A_filtered.jpg
    New Canon 44 049 A_filtered.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 37
  • New Canon 44 012 B_filtered.jpg
    New Canon 44 012 B_filtered.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 47
  • New Canon 44 008_filtered.jpg
    New Canon 44 008_filtered.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 42
  • New Canon 39 029 LOW_filtered.jpg
    New Canon 39 029 LOW_filtered.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I finally bought a cheap actinic moth trap for my garden and tried it out for the first time last night. I guess I was expecting a catch of about half a dozen moths so I was pretty amazed to find well over a hundred (possibly 200) in and around the trap when I inspected it this morning. I didn't have a lot of time to go through them all and I must admit I will need to do a lot more homework in order to identify a lot of them but I'm pretty confident of a few of the species id's as follows:

6 Elephant Hawk Moths
2 Light Emerald
1 Swallow-tailed Moth (very impressed with this one)
1 Common Emerald
1 Buff Tip (very nice)
several Garden Carpet
1 Beautiful Hook Tip
1 Drinker
2+ Flame Shoulder
1 Barred Yellow
1 Small Magpie Moth
Lots of Dark Arches
Various Yellow Underwing spp.
several Willow Beauty
1 Cinnabar Moth
Pugs

possible Varied Coronet
possible Snout

Lots of others - mainly small stuff but also some larger ones I haven't got a clue about. I got some photos of some so I'll try trawling the websites / look through my guidebook to try and match them.

Hopefully, I'll get more time to do a proper session over the weekend - can't wait!

Last edited:
Anyone got any ideas for the following? (sorry about the quality of the images - it was very early morning 8-P)

I'm guessing the last one is a Latticed Heath but I'm happy to be corrected.

Edit: I now think No.2 is a Treble Lines Charanyca trigrammica, still working on the others.

Attachments

• Unknown moth sp1.JPG
    Unknown moth sp1.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 49
  • Moth sp 2.JPG
    Moth sp 2.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Moth sp 3.JPG
    Moth sp 3.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 50
  • Moth sp 4.JPG
    Moth sp 4.JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Possible Latticed Heath - question mark.JPG
    Possible Latticed Heath - question mark.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Had a bit of a mooch about the garden yesterday eve between watering-can refills. Had a couple of bits and bobs. Attached are what I think are a Large Yellow Underwing Moth and a Black Headed Cardinal Beetle...
The moth was scurrying around in the grass (seemed fairly flightless!!??) so I put it on a leaf for a better photo. Soz moth.

Attachments

• LYU.JPG
    LYU.JPG
    667.8 KB · Views: 56
  • BHC.jpg
    BHC.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 48
Anyone got any ideas for the following? (sorry about the quality of the images - it was very early morning 8-P)

I'm guessing the last one is a Latticed Heath but I'm happy to be corrected.

Edit: I now think No.2 is a Treble Lines Charanyca trigrammica, still working on the others.

Yes, Treble Lines no 2. I'd hazard an uneducated guess at Uncertain for no 4, but can't help with the others. I'm into the 2nd year with a 40w actinic, and have just found a jump in numbers/species with the warmer, cloudy nights; 116 species to date. I'm only doing macros.... can't get my head round micros as well! We've been absolutely astonished at the beauty of our moths, and wish we'd started years ago!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back