• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Worcestershire Butterflies,Moths and Dragonflies (1 Viewer)

Hi Jase. Is this another new site for this species? Do you know of any other sites - apart from Croome Park - in Worcestershire where they can be found?

Hi Andy,
The Trust had recorded small numbers there last year. But there are far greater numbers present this year.

As for other sites. In the light of Jared's rather good Grimley find I went and checked out Holt Sling Pool this afternoon where another 4 Small Red-eyed were present on the algal bloom. I noted 3♂ and 1♀ ( a pair were in cop).

At Camp Lane I only checked out the north end but in the NE corner there were another 3 SRE Damselflies (2♂, 1) again a pair was in cop.

I also checked out Hillditch Pool yesterday late afternoon as it has plenty of floating vegetation but there was only normal Red-eyed present there.

I believe the BDS county recorder Mike Averill has also recorded them at another new site this summer.

Jase

Thanks Jase for your response. I must check out Upton Warren for this species. The seasonal pool on the North Moors springs to mind. Had Red-eyed Damsel on path by Salwarpe earlier in the summer for the first time. Just connected with High Brown Fritillary for first time today-as well as loads of Scotch Argus-at Arnside Knott today. Are HBFs still at Castlemorton Common?

Thanks Jase for your response. I must check out Upton Warren for this species. The seasonal pool on the North Moors springs to mind. Had Red-eyed Damsel on path by Salwarpe earlier in the summer for the first time. Just connected with High Brown Fritillary for first time today-as well as loads of Scotch Argus-at Arnside Knott today. Are HBFs still at Castlemorton Common?

None have been recorded for the last 5 years...the species is now regarded by Butterfly Conservation as being extinct in the County

Hi Andy,
The Trust had recorded small numbers there last year. But there are far greater numbers present this year.

As for other sites. In the light of Jared's rather good Grimley find I went and checked out Holt Sling Pool this afternoon where another 4 Small Red-eyed were present on the algal bloom. I noted 3♂ and 1♀ ( a pair were in cop).

At Camp Lane I only checked out the north end but in the NE corner there were another 3 SRE Damselflies (2♂, 1) again a pair was in cop.

I also checked out Hillditch Pool yesterday late afternoon as it has plenty of floating vegetation but there was only normal Red-eyed present there.

I believe the BDS county recorder Mike Averill has also recorded them at another new site this summer.

Jase

Hi Jason. Small Red-eyes have been recorded at two other sites: Hartlebury riverside pool below Stourport and I saw two last week at Sarehole Mill, Hall Green on a very small piece of suitable vegetation.

Des.

Hi Jason. Small Red-eyes have been recorded at two other sites: Hartlebury riverside pool below Stourport and I saw two last week at Sarehole Mill, Hall Green on a very small piece of suitable vegetation.

Des.

That's great to know Des...Sarehole Mill is a very good record...they will be at Moseley Bog next mate!

Some recent additions to my garden moth list:

Canary-shouldered Thorn
Clouded Border
Maiden's Blush
Poplar Kitten
Black Arches

Attachments

• Canary-shouldered Thorn.jpg
    Canary-shouldered Thorn.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Clouded Border.jpg
    Clouded Border.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 49
  • Maiden's Blush.jpg
    Maiden's Blush.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 51
  • Poplar Kitten.jpg
    Poplar Kitten.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Black Arches.jpg
    Black Arches.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 51
And a few more:

Magpie Moth
Copper Underwing
Lime-speck Pug
Red Twin-spot Carpet
Chinese Character

Attachments

• Magpie Moth.jpg
    Magpie Moth.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Copper Underwing.jpg
    Copper Underwing.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 63
  • Lime-speck Pug.jpg
    Lime-speck Pug.jpg
    377.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Red Twin-spot Carpet.jpg
    Red Twin-spot Carpet.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Chinese Character.JPG
    Chinese Character.JPG
    299.7 KB · Views: 56
And a few more:

Magpie Moth
Copper Underwing
Lime-speck Pug
Red Twin-spot Carpet
Chinese Character

Had Copper Underwing last week in the house - don't think I've had one before, but I don't have a trap so very hit and miss as to what comes in through the windows ;)

Had Copper Underwing last week in the house - don't think I've had one before, but I don't have a trap so very hit and miss as to what comes in through the windows ;)

You should give it a go, Mike - only ~80 quid to set yourself up with an ECO20 actinic - giving hours of entertainment. Money well spent IMO. :t:

Is there a Heath Robinson one...:t:

Ha! Don't know if you intended that as a pun, but there are several types of traps:

- including Heath Traps, of which my cheap actinic is an example

and

- Robinson Traps plus Skinner Traps.

If, however, you meant is it possible to knock together a cheap one from bits and bobs then I'm sure that is possible too. Not sure how much cheaper than the 80 quid this would come in at, though. :t:

Seen at Grimley a few weeks ago...a Damsel....
Black abdomen apart from blue on segment before last one.
Red Thorax.
Pinky/mauve eyes
Top of legs orangy
Wings held alongside body
also pinky where wings meet body.

Any ideas please.

Seen at Grimley a few weeks ago...a Damsel....
Black abdomen apart from blue on segment before last one.
Red Thorax.
Pinky/mauve eyes
Top of legs orangy
Wings held alongside body
also pinky where wings meet body.

Any ideas please.

You saw the immature form of Blue-tailed Damselfly: rufescens.

Des.

Migrant Hawker

An unexpected visitor to my Worcester garden yesterday afternoon which fortunately hung around long enough to be photographed.

John

Attachments

• Migrant Hawker 04140.jpg
    Migrant Hawker 04140.jpg
    393.8 KB · Views: 71
More garden moths:

Dusky Thorn
Yellow Shell
Oak Hook-tip
Lunar-spotted Pinion
Ruby Tiger

Attachments

• Dusky Thorn.jpg
    Dusky Thorn.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 41
  • Yellow Shell 2.jpg
    Yellow Shell 2.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Oak Hook-tip 2.jpg
    Oak Hook-tip 2.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Lunar-spotted Pinion.jpg
    Lunar-spotted Pinion.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 44
  • Ruby Tiger.jpg
    Ruby Tiger.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 38
Purple Hairstreaks still at Old Hills yesterday, also Holly Blue and a cricket (I think) of some variety. Record shots follow:

Attachments

• Purplehairstreak1.jpg
    Purplehairstreak1.jpg
    397.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Hollyblue.jpg
    Hollyblue.jpg
    457.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Buddyholly.jpg
    Buddyholly.jpg
    540.7 KB · Views: 62
A few insects seen at Upton Warren yesterday: Ruddy Darter, Southern Hawker and Roesel's Bush Cricket.

Des.

Attachments

• Ruddy Darter.jpg
    Ruddy Darter.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Southern Hawker.jpg
    Southern Hawker.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Roesel's Bush Cricket.jpg
    Roesel's Bush Cricket.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 63
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back