• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Would you get an NL Pure 32mm if you already had a 42, or maybe something else? (1 Viewer)

As the Doc knows I have both the VP 825 and NL832 and see the thing a little differently. Im a birder, not a bino collector. I dont buy based on published specs and what they infer about a "logical" set of binoculars to have ... and to hold, (humor intended). These are tools. The conditions too varied to always have the perfect tool for the moment. Convenience demands choices be made with compromises

The little VP resides as I have written, on my desk, behind my 27" Mac desktop and is used most often by turning to the left, looking out the window at a courtyard and green space, where I can see lots of bird activity without moving. I also use them to travel to Seattle to visit family, where they reside in my carry on, back pack and serve wonderfully as an optically great, but rather small, too(?) light package for general birding.

I do have a scope. I bought the NLs primarily for their smaller size and half pound less weight than my EL1042s. Two attributes that become more desirable if you drag a scope and tripod around. Its not so much about weight, but moving the blasted scope/tripod from spot to spot along a trail requiring interaction between the 2 pieces of gear where a larger heavier bino just gets in the way, is a worry, (even with RYO).

In that role, as many here know, the binocular becomes the target locator. As well, do to this handling, setting up of the scope, sometimes its way more convenient, faster to use the bino in a role approaching the primary available optic of the moment. In that case the better optics, wider FOV/AFOV, lovely ergos AND yes the weight, make the NL, for me at least the better compliment. The VP to my mind is too small and too light for this application. I can one hand the NL, with other securing scope/tripod on shoulder. Steady it enough to see well while moving. This is a tougher task with the bigger/heavier EL42 or the lighter maybe too small VP.

As the Doc knows I have both the VP 825 and NL832 and see the thing a little differently. Im a birder, not a bino collector. I dont buy based on published specs and what they infer about a "logical" set of binoculars to have ... and to hold, (humor intended). These are tools. The conditions too varied to always have the perfect tool for the moment. Convenience demands choices be made with compromises

The little VP resides as I have written, on my desk, behind my 27" Mac desktop and is used most often by turning to the left, looking out the window at a courtyard and green space, where I can see lots of bird activity without moving. I also use them to travel to Seattle to visit family, where they reside in my carry on, back pack and serve wonderfully as an optically great, but rather small, too(?) light package for general birding.

I do have a scope. I bought the NLs primarily for their smaller size and half pound less weight than my EL1042s. Two attributes that become more desirable if you drag a scope and tripod around. Its not so much about weight, but moving the blasted scope/tripod from spot to spot along a trail requiring interaction between the 2 pieces of gear where a larger heavier bino just gets in the way, is a worry, (even with RYO).

In that role, as many here know, the binocular becomes the target locator. As well, do to this handling, setting up of the scope, sometimes its way more convenient, faster to use the bino in a role approaching the primary available optic of the moment. In that case the better optics, wider FOV/AFOV, lovely ergos AND yes the weight, make the NL, for me at least the better compliment. The VP to my mind is too small and too light for this application. I can one hand the NL, with other securing scope/tripod on shoulder. Steady it enough to see well while moving. This is a tougher task with the bigger/heavier EL42 or the lighter maybe too small VP.
I can easily one hand my VP8x25 and keep it steady enough. However, I woould agree that the larger FOV of the Nl may come in handier for finding the sweet spot with which to aim your scope. I still don't think I would like lugging the weight and bulk of all the equipment you lug around.

Lately choose the Zeiss SF30 over the NL's.

NL certainly has the looks.

Colours of NL looked a little nicer and brighter, but at the same time a little 'restless' difficult to explain. Weight, field of view, overall handling and especially the focus knob nailed it down for the SF. Feels like Mercedes over a VW.

I find the rolling ball effect on the ELs rather unpleasant, unfortunately. The one or two I have tried - I couldn’t get on with them. The NLs are much easier on the eye.
I have both versions of the EL 8x32s, and in the Mark II version the rolling ball was tamed, at least to my eyes. (I understand that I am less sensitive to the phenomenon than others.) I actually prefer the EL 8x32 SV to the NL because of the greater eye relief.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back