• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wren & Crane ID (1 Viewer)

birdbath

Canada
I'm hoping to get a confirmation on two bird IDs.

I saw the wren the other day in my back yard (Eastern Ontario) and I'm pretty sure it's a House Wren, but could it be a Winter Wren?

The crane was in a field on Manitoulin Island last August. I think it's a Sandhill Crane, which are very common there. I don't know what else it could be.

Thanks, and sorry for the poor quality photos - they were taken with my cell phone but I will soon invest in a proper camera for birding.

Attachments

• Wren.jpg
    Wren.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 49
  • Crane 1.jpg
    Crane 1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 49
  • Crane 2.jpg
    Crane 2.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 49
Beak is also fairly long. Here it is sticking out of a nest box....and another pic of the tail, along with a pale breast.

Attachments

• Wren in Box.jpg
    Wren in Box.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 20230531_072310.jpg
    20230531_072310.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 12
pretty sure it's a House Wren, but could it be a Winter Wren?
Of those two it's a house wren (structure, especially tail-length + if winter wrens behave anything much like Eurasian wrens they're not likely to sit up on a wire). It's up to you whether you think it's worth excluding Carolina wren - which you probably can't on these views (though one assumes one of those wouldn't be in a nest-box).

I had considered Carolina Wren but there is no white eyebrow stripe. Also very unlikely to see one in my area. The wrens are nesting in my backyard so I'll try to get a better picture and hopefully listen to their song.

Of those two it's a house wren (structure, especially tail-length + if winter wrens behave anything much like Eurasian wrens they're not likely to sit up on a wire). It's up to you whether you think it's worth excluding Carolina wren - which you probably can't on these views (though one assumes one of those wouldn't be in a nest-box).
Why not? They'll nest absolutely anywhere, as long as it's got a narrow entrance and is a few feet off the ground.

(Range includes Toronto, Ottowa, and Montreal, with rarer sightings further north and west.)
I had considered Carolina Wren but there is no white eyebrow stripe. Also very unlikely to see one in my area. The wrens are nesting in my backyard so I'll try to get a better picture and hopefully listen to their song.

Oh, never mind then - that white stripe should be easy to see.

It might help to get binoculars for better views and--if you don't have a camera at hand--for phonescoping, which allows you to take better-quality photos than just a smartphone:
I think (hope) it's quite easy, actually. What you need to do is focus the bins on the object (or--in 99% of the cases--just set the maximum distance with the dial(s)). Then, you should fasten the strap around the screen and hold its end with the left index finger while holding the open flap of the wallet case with your left thumb (not sure if this method works without a wallet-type case). Keep the strap taut to secure the phone to the bins, and be careful not to drop anything when pulling it around--best test the whole procedure over a soft surface first, and always use both hands when fixing the phone to the bins. Now you can align the phone camera with the upper lens (this should be relatively easy). The whole contraption is best held with the left hand by the lower barrel of the bins (and don't forget about the left index finger and thumb). If your left hand gets tired, you can hold your left hand (together with the equipment) with your right hand for some time (or rest the left hand on something)--this way you don't have to release the grip. Here's what the gear looks like and the result (both devices handheld). If everything goes right, you can even use the phone camera's zoom, too (this photo was taken without it).

EDIT: For photos of similar species (some of those out of range for you) see: House Wren Similar Species to, All About Birds, Cornell Lab of Ornithology and Sandhill Crane Similar Species to, All About Birds, Cornell Lab of Ornithology. Also have a look at House Wren - BirdForum Opus and Sandhill Crane - BirdForum Opus.

Attachments

• P1180213.JPG
    P1180213.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • P1180214.JPG
    P1180214.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • P1180216.JPG
    P1180216.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • 20230203_115717.jpg
    20230203_115717.jpg