• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

wrong face wrong place! (1 Viewer)

herring99

Anyone ever had one of these experiences before? The threads about birding embarrassments/put downs reminded me of a few situations, you know those ones where your presence was just not appreciated and which make you feel even worse than the put downs!

Two spring to mind, the first was at Eglys Nunnedd reservoir in Glamorgan. There were a few birding types about, so i set up my scope nearby, tried exchanging a few pleasantries to a general stoney silence and so carried on birding. After only a couple of minutes i spotted a lovely male smew and a couple of female scaup. I pointed these out (to another wall of silence) when suddenly an older birdwatcher announces the same news to everyone causing a great stir and much admiring glances from the throng. Another few minutes passed and i noticed there was a great northern diver way out on the water, again i pointed this out, again no response. Low and behold GOD finds the diver and again everyone was impressed. Time for exit stage left!!

The second was at Titchwell where another group were congregated. This was on the shore. Again i set up nearby and was rewarded with an excellent view of an arctic skua chasing a tern near the shore. I excitedly pointed this out to another one of those stomach churning silences when all of a sudden GOD II exclaims arctic skua! I took the hint this time and went elsewhere.

Does anyone else get this or is it just reserved for Newcastle Utd fans with goatees and a taste for loud music!??!

Herring

It's a long shot, but have you considered the possibility that you may be dead and don't actually know it - like Bruce Willis in "The Sixth Sense"?
But then again, as I'm the only one that has replied to your thread, that would mean that either
A: I see dead people
OR
B: I'm dead as well,

Both of these scenarios seem highly unlikely so maybe it's your accent? or do you have 2 heads? or maaaybe you're not using the right equipment ;) (see this thread )
At any rate, I've now put this thread back at the top with my flippant & rather silly reply, so you might get some more sensible ones now! :t:

herring99 said:
... or is it just reserved for Newcastle Utd fans with goatees and a taste for loud music!??!

Herring
Well, what do you expect ;)

Actually, I had a similar experience recently. I was watching a hawfinch in a tree not more than 50 feet away for about 20 mins. Just round a corner was a group of birders who were straining to see one at the top of a 80ft tree. I pointed out that really good views were on offer where I was standing but nobody was interested. It's the "we didn't think of it first" phenomenon.

I certainly think there is a degree of something in the wrong equipment crack.

Are you particularly young?

Are you particularly young?[/QUOTE]

I reckon this could be one of the reasons mate, I get it all the time, but then again I'm 33 and only look 23, (Janine take note ;) )

Another time I've had this response is when I've been made to feel as if I'm tresspassing on someone's patch. As if a nature reserve or stretch of beach is their own personal property. Grrrrrrr!!

Darrenom said:
pduxon said:
Are you particularly young?

I reckon this could be one of the reasons mate, I get it all the time, but then again I'm 33 and only look 23, (Janine take note ;) )

Another time I've had this response is when I've been made to feel as if I'm tresspassing on someone's patch. As if a nature reserve or stretch of beach is their own personal property. Grrrrrrr!!

Do I take it you're smitten?

Well if you're going to do it do it properly

"In Dwimordene, in Lórien
Seldom have walked the feet of Men,
Few mortal eyes have seen the light
That lies there ever, long and bright.
Galadriel! Galadriel!
Clear is the water of your well;
White is the star in your white hand;
Unmarred, unstained is leaf and land
In Dwimordene, in Lórien
More fair than thoughts of Mortal Men."

And yes very sadly I could quote that off the top of my head.

Does sound odd Herring ! I'm a sprightly 32 year old also equipped with goatee and a wide arrangement of load music . I have been told when approaching the reserve that all the resident bird's stay and the rare one's vanish because the resident's are now quite used to the Foo's or Feeder or White Stripes etc etc ....
Basically , and I have discussed this before , there are to every nice 50 birder's you meet one a***hole and it does effect your overall impression of birders in general . Apart from the handful I know from VP I trust very few people when I'm out birding and , generally a very chatty , confident person , I find myself quiet , nervy and quite reluctant to speak to birders I dont know !! Pathetic aint it ?
Last week a bloke in his fifties enter's the hide and sit's , " alright mate ? , there's a few Corn Bunting in the top field just now " I said , quite pleasantly , " SO !! " , he say's and I thought , well I cant put what I thought but it really annoys me . I think like , why bother mate ? if birding or being in the vicinity of humans upsets you ... STAY IN !!! We wont miss you , I assure you .
Sorry , rant over . Basically Herring , ignore them , they have the problem , not you . Good birding ! ;)

Jada,

thanks for the vote of confidence! I am young, only 32 I do have good birding gear (which i'm still paying off), but at the time of the episodes I had a cheap Kowa TN1.

SimonC

I ain't dead, all the bruises i picked up at footy tonight vouch for that and as for Bruce Willis in sixth sense, a lot of birders make me feel more like Bruce Willis in twelve monkeys! By the way you're not a prawn sandwich eater are you?

Herring

herring99 said:
........By the way you're not a prawn sandwich eater are you?

Herring

Huh?........That one has gone straight over my head! unless it's something to do with Manchester United?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back