• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

yellow wagtail - with white throat (1 Viewer)

Michał Jaro

Hi.I have already seen many strange m. flava thunbergi, with white mustaches, white part of the throat. But this bird - has a whole white throat? The best photo also shows a subtle, bright spot behind the eye.
So could it be Cinereocapilla?

Attachments

• IMG_1390 (Copy).jpg
    IMG_1390 (Copy).jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1394 (Copy) (Copy).jpg
    IMG_1394 (Copy) (Copy).jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1391 (Copy).jpg
    IMG_1391 (Copy).jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1393 (Copy).jpg
    IMG_1393 (Copy).jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1392 (Copy).jpg
    IMG_1392 (Copy).jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 97
Sorry, I really don't know what it is, but I am very glad you made these photos. I will be interested to learn what this might be. It is an interesting bird to me.
best, z

It resembles the race cinereocapilla which in the UK we call Ashy-headed Wagtail. White throat and rest of head similar to Grey-headed with a tiny supercilium behind the eye.

Steve

Steve, thanks for your comment. But this is one problem. I took this picture recently in Poland, where cinereocapilla meeting is very unlikely. Hence my doubts - is the bird evident enough that it cannot be thunbergi
(I can't find Ashy-headed Wagtail on the net with a whole white throat )?? What else causes me to suspect cinereo? The head is bluish-gray, blackish color is limited to the mask, and this throat ...

Last edited:
I'm coming back to the thread because I managed to get a little voice - isn't it like cinereocapilla calling?

Attachments

• Recording_122.2.mp3
    56.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Recording_124.1.1.mp3
    48.5 KB · Views: 18
Hi Michal, I can't really add much more to the discussion, but to me, it does look very interesting and a strong candidate for cinereocapilla. Here is an article which may be useful, but the features they used to rule out cinereocapilla aren't present on your bird, for example, as you've pointed out it has an apparently very clear cut white throat, and the head is almost concolourous, with the exception of the darker patch around the lores.
I'm afraid I can't hear any wagtails in your recording, but I've not listened with headphones.
If you've not contacted them already, it'd be worth sending the details to @birdingpoland - they're always grateful for interesting sightings.

Thanks a lot! Unfortunately, the recording is bad and the headphones are useful, with headphones the call is quite clear.
Yes, I read this article and strengthened my guess. I know Birdingpoland, with a lot of respect for them. But good to know the opinion of someone who knows cinereocapilla well from the field. In Poland, probably seen very, very few times. I toss the sonogram - just in case (single call).

Attachments

• Przechwytywanie w trybie pełnoekranowym 02.06.2020 234530.bmp.jpg
    Przechwytywanie w trybie pełnoekranowym 02.06.2020 234530.bmp.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 20
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back