• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (69 Viewers)

Cheers Ken....but a bloody big bird this was! Makes me wonder, when at wykeham etc, someone calls Gos 1m away, even if onto it, how on earth do u tell them apart?

This..?girl, was approaching buzzard size, saw her her perched from miles off.Need to see Gos in my face before i can get anywhere near convincing myself about wykeham birds etc.

Paul

The size of birds is very hard to judge, especially at distance. There isn't really any overlap between sprawk and gos. Here's some spurious science for you to consider. If the pine needles in the foreground are about 100mm (4 inches) and the bird is about 4x the size that puts it firmly in the sprawk category

Just a thought :smoke:

Diggers went on site today in Kilnsea marking the start of the Environment Agency's habitat creation works. When they are done all we need is water to fill them

Monday morning 10:00am ;)

Just looking at some forecasts to try and work oput the best day to visit Spurn, how's it looking over the next week Andy? Thinking of Thurs/Fri this week but would a silly shower like the one predicted for Monday be more likely to bring something in, in which case would Tuesday morning be too late?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 65
The size of birds is very hard to judge, especially at distance. There isn't really any overlap between sprawk and gos. Here's some spurious science for you to consider. If the pine needles in the foreground are about 100mm (4 inches) and the bird is about 4x the size that puts it firmly in the sprawk category

Just a thought :smoke:

I think u r right about size distortion .Attach 2 views of same bird, clearer facial pattern.Seems bulky, ?big feet,not matchsticks like sprawk.Though I still feel is sprawk!

Attachments

• sprawk7.jpg
    sprawk7.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 78
  • sprawk8.jpg
    sprawk8.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 87
Some of the people on this thread may remember me and my mission to find my first Woodpecker, I was on here asking for advice at the beginning of the year. I'm happy to say I saw my first one today, a Green Woodpecker, this was at Barlow Common near Drax Power-station. Very very happy! I also got within three feet of a Willow Tit, happy to say that this is what it was and not the one that looks similar (Marsh Tit) as it had a buffy brown undercarriage. Thanks to everybody on here who gave me tips at the start of the year, it was very much appreciated!

Glad you've got one at last nicky, I saw a small family group at the weekend near home and they seem to be easier to find than the GSWs at the moment.

Glad you've got one at last nicky, I saw a small family group at the weekend near home and they seem to be easier to find than the GSWs at the moment.

Had Green & Great Spotted at Skipwith Common this morning - only yards from where I saw my 1st Lesser Spotted a few years ago ;)

I saw a Gt spotted fly over the York Northern Ring Road this afternoon on the way home from Clifton Moor. Also a very nice eye level height common buzzard as we were coming by Wetherby from the A59.

Local influx of Goldcrest

Back at Redhouse, nice to see, at least a dozen.Won't be long before them there redpolls are due!! Won't bore anyone this year!o:)

Attachments

• goldcrest6.jpg
    goldcrest6.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 60
Nice 'Silver Plovers' at Spurn at the moment & lots of other waders with remnants of breeding plumage.

Attachments

• 18-08-11 200GreyPlover00.jpg
    18-08-11 200GreyPlover00.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 80

Users who are viewing this thread

Back