• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (16 Viewers)

You may very well be correct Steve. Had Walney Island in my mind. Which if I remember correctly was were Niko Tinbergen did his seminal reseach

Crane showing well at Nosterfield this afternoon, on the reserve though not linghams. I have attached a couple of others from ealier in the week, crossbreeds?

The first looks to have some Shelduck in there and the other one looks to have some Snow Goose in there but maybe the experts will set us right

A very pleasant few hours at Swilly this aft. A few waders knocking about including 3 Ruff (or 1 in three different places). And most surprisingly a Swift, easily my latest ever record.

Had my usual Sunday out on the "Moorland Fringe" as it is sometimes called ;) .. Had 11 Common buzzards, 2 peregrines, 2 sparrowhawks, 2 kestrels, a marsh harrier and a cracking goshawk .. Yellow wag heading south and 2 wheatears to add to the tally ..

Crane showing well at Nosterfield this afternoon, on the reserve though not linghams. I have attached a couple of others from ealier in the week, crossbreeds?

Nice! The last picture looks like a Ross's Goose x Greylag Goose, and number 3 is Shelduck x something, probably just a imm Shelduck.

Sam

Looking for a few pointers if anyone could help me here ..

I am planning a trip out to either Bempton or Flamborough while I'm on holiday the week after next but I have never been to either ...I'm hoping to come away with a few lifers such as fulmars, kittiwakes, razorbills, guillemots, as I have never done any birding on the coast ..

Are there any particular areas which I should be looking to spend more time checking out than others for instance ? I'm hoping to recruit a co-pilot who is an experienced birder but may end up going on my own if he isn't available ..

I can imagine that I could possibly see a load of things which I can't identify which may mean that I see lifers and don't know that I have done !!

I'm thinking of being able to split the species of things such as auks, skuas etc ..

Bugger !!!

Last edited:
Bempton

I am planning a trip out to either Bempton or Flamborough while I'm on holiday the week after next but I have never been to either ...I'm hoping to come away with a few lifers such as fulmars, kittiwakes, razorbills, guillemots, as I have never done any birding on the coast ..

Are there any particular areas which I should be looking to spend more time checking out than others for instance ? I'm hoping to recruit a co-pilot who is an experienced birder but may end up going on my own if he isn't available ..

I can imagine that I could possibly see a load of things which I can't identify which may mean that I see lifers and don't know that I have done !!

I'm thinking of being able to split the species of things such as auks, skuas etc ..

Bugger !!!

Hi Dave,
Was at both sites 3-4 weeks ago (see post 15859) you should have a great time there.Check the weather (obviously) Gannets were spectacular but its easy to spend all your time looking over the cliffs! remember to look left towards the Mod defences plenty of Linnets wrens etc also raptors Marsh harrier,kestrel,peregrine etc (if you get chance Filey tip might also be worth a look)

Good luck.

Last edited:

Bugger !!!

Don't know how many Puffins may be still around but a good place to see them is at North Landing in the early evening floating on the water. Also a Barn Owl hunting here too a few weeks ago behind the bar on the cliff top.
Cheers.

Bugger !!!

I think you're going to have a problem finding any Guillemots, Razorbills or Puffins still on the cliffs this late in August. To guarantee those you really need to visit before mid-July. However, you may still get some on the sea - if you go on one of the sea cruises out of Bridlington.

The Fulmars should still be there, but not sure about the Kittiwakes either

Hi Michael, I've only been down there a couple of times. It seems to me as though it is silting up a bit and certainly the spot where I usually go has filled in and does not hold any water.
I went about a couple of weeks ago and all the usual fare was there but I've not followed it as religiously as previous years.
probably worth a visit next weekend as its big tides and should co-incide with the arrival of the first juv curlew sandpipers.

Thanks for the info. Hope this site still holds something of interest, but the next big tides will provide the answer, I suppose.

Bugger !!!

bert get yerself booked on the 4th september skua cruise out of brid we'll all be there, you're a bit late for cliffs full of goodies but a sea watch from flambrough is likely to still throw up most of the things you're looking for though much of them will be juveniles floating on the waves. we did one on the 6th of this month and had arctic skua plus porpoise, seal and a stoat, along with all the usual bird species. also i think me and pete mela are doing a watch on saturday 3rd sept if you're still there

Update on the weather tomorrow; broad band of heavy rain travelling up the East Coast hitting Spurn early afternoon and lasting about 12 hours, easterly breeze throughout. Roll on Wednesday morning.

Ken there were two ruff, problem arose when the birds flew, someone in the hide seemed to think that a t6hird bird had flown in when in fact it was one of the original two relocating.

A very pleasant few hours at Swilly this aft. A few waders knocking about including 3 Ruff (or 1 in three different places). And most surprisingly a Swift, easily my latest ever record.

There had been three ruff at Swillington together on Saturday so there's a good chance they were still a threesome on Sunday. The spotted redshank disappeared minutes before I arrived and never showed during the three and a half hours that I stayed.

good day at old moor yesterday.

green sandpipers, ruff, wood sandpiper, greenshank, redshank, spotted flycatcher, redstarts, whinchat and chris's spotted sandpiper from swilly which turned up sunday :)

notihing massively unusual but about 5 of them were site ticks for me

What's the point, I will never be pro-hunting but I do understand some of the argument of those who are. Shooting a tame pheasant/partridge however I don't understand at all.

Presumably it's a cost issue, a bit like chickens - expensive free range or cheapo factory farmed? I guess raising pheasants that are challenging to shoot is more expensive than factory farming tame birds for wealthy city types to blast at. I doubt the estates like it but whatever pays the bills.

Wryneck at Spurn, Icterine at Flamborough and Greenish Warbler in Northumberland and Norfolk, Rosefinch also in Northumberland

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back