• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (10 Viewers)

See that the branch in question has been identified and photographed, does that mean case closed now?

How do we know the branch photo isn't a hoax?

Only joking of course, I hold no views either way on the matter, learnt long ago that arguing the toss over a bird is futile, and besides life's too short.

How do we know the branch photo isn't a hoax?

Only joking of course, I hold no views either way on the matter, learnt long ago that arguing the toss over a bird is futile, and besides life's too short.
Well there is a few on the relevent thread that may need to get a life,makes interesting reading on a dull night.

Anyone else noted a lack of red kites recently? For the last week or so I've not seen any of the local birds at all. There's normally a couple of birds in my immediate home area and the bird I usually see by Seacroft has been absent as well.

Red kites at this time of year, when they are on eggs are not as active wide range, and tend to stay within thier breeding area, I was talking to Doug Simpson he is the one in charge of the Harewood realese, who I do some spotting for, and thats what he was telling me yesterday, because I said the same as you. hope that helps, MC

Funnily enough it is the opposite for me,not often they travel down the A61 towards Ripon but in the last 10 days we have seen them on every trip.I wonder if it is non breeding birds looking for new territories.

Hi Pete, did Doug ask you to keep a note on your sightings, as we have both been up and around your area, with a few interesting results, but the ones near ris------ is quite hard to get to grips with, I have managed 2 more actice pairs, doug was out yesterday checking a local wood, not heard yet. keep in touch hope back is o.k. you could be right re none breeders ?

Last edited:
Kites

On a rather sad note of the 30 birds released in the Lakes, 20 survived the winter. About par for the course apparently. This makes it all the more shocking that a second bird was found shot recently. (expletive deleted) :C

Cheers for that, learnt something there.
Red kites at this time of year, when they are on eggs are not as active wide range, and tend to stay within thier breeding area, I was talking to Doug Simpson he is the one in charge of the Harewood realese, who I do some spotting for, and thats what he was telling me yesterday, because I said the same as you. hope that helps, MC

On a rather sad note of the 30 birds released in the Lakes, 20 survived the winter. About par for the course apparently. This makes it all the more shocking that a second bird was found shot recently. (expletive deleted) :C

Hi northern loon where was the bird shot, and have you a link, to the story,
how anyone can do this is beyon me.

Ken,I reckon we can all fill in those expletives for you.Nidderdale area where we do most of our watching cetainly does not seem to have a great record

Redhouse and surrounds

Barn Owl now showing well most evenings.One or two cuckoos about.qBest ever numbers whitethroat/blackcap/willow warbler/chiffchaff.2 singing garden warblers.Had patch tick yesterday ,GC Grebe on res....surprising how this water attracts very little, 2 Tufted ducks were 'unusual too.,'

Attachments

• barnowl6.jpg
    barnowl6.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 66
Came close to seeing my first Woodpecker today, heard the distinctive squeaking noise that they make (thanks to the forum members who pointed this out to me earlier in the year) but unfortunately didn't catch sight of the bird. This was at Tophill Low. On the way down to Watton I saw a Buzzard near Leconfield. Didn't see much I could identify at Tophill apart from a Yellowhammer on the way near the railway line, and what I think were Pochards, which when I was there I mistook for Teal, but the Collins Bird Guide indicates are Pochards.

Oh, I saw a Hobby on the way out also, it was being mobbed by a couple of crows. A lot of action for me, usually only see a few Swifts and a Song Thrush out of my window!

Nickynak, you are bound to get a Great Spotted Woodpecker at Tophill eventually - especially on the feeders in winter. They are very common there. Hobby is a great spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back