• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (5 Viewers)

Watched a bit ofa tussle between a sparrowhawk and a kestrel this morning. The kestrel came out on top and the sparrowhawk moved on.

Not the result I would have expected especially as the Sparrowhawk is quite regular and can't recall the last time i saw a Kestrel in the area.

I have just discovered in the last few minutes that there are squatters in my House Martin's nest.

It is a small colony of House Martins - originally it was about five pairs, and two of the neighbours for reasons better known to themselves have dangled tape etc. to prevent two nests from being used.

So for the past few years we've been down to just three. Mine has been successful each year.

However, a week or so back I saw a House Sparrow singing from the burgular alarm box below the nest.

Last night my wife witnessed a House Sparrow chasing a House Martin. Sure enough I've just been out, and there are young HS's being fed, which is nice in itself, but is frustrating as I've put them a separate box up! I'd assumed the droppings were from the martins as per usual.

There's just a chance that both species are sharing the nest via two entrances, as it has got quite big now - will do some further checking to see.

Confirmation that both species are sharing the same nest which has grown to X 2 normal martin size nest. I think they have their own entrances but can't be sure. Strange.

Had a turtle dove at Fairburn Ings this morning alongside the new riverbank trail, also cuckoo and green woodpecker. Not too much at Lin Dyke but there was a blackwit, at Pickup there were two little egrets and a yellow wag. No sign or reports of spoonbills but that doesn't mean they've gone yet.

Off topic slightly, but a Hummingbird Hawkmoth was on some Red Valerian in Bishopthorpe this morning.
Cheers,
Jono

Hi Jono - could you give any directions - would love to catch up with one of these?

Anyone know if they usually linger at a site for a couple of days?

Thanks.

Was round at my brother-in-law's house last night close by the edge of Roundhay Park, was amazed to count 22 long-tailed tits in a flock that visited his garden. Apparently that isn't the biggest it has been either!
Very grateful for the tawny owl that was in the trees a couple of gardens along, just need to find a barn owl now and I've got all 5 owls in the bag this year.

... just need to find a barn owl now and I've got all 5 owls in the bag this year.

Not counting Snowy or Eagle?

Went down to Hatfield early doors yesterday hoping to photo the RNG on glass-like water. Arrived to perfect conditions, dead still and a touch of mist on the water. Problem was the bird was in a shady area 50yds north of where I'd got myself ready. By the time it came my way the slightest breeze had picked up rippling the surface, bird never really came close enough. Hopefully there'll be a windless day before it leaves.

Laid on my front waiting for the RNG to pass, looked up to see the Osprey had just passed over and was heading south. Also there a cormorant surfaced in front of me, surprising itself into the bargain. Female Tuftie plus brood and a kingfisher.

On to Boston Park which aside from expected species was quiet. Stopped off at 27 which was also quiet.

Got home to find PC won't start so I'll have to sort the laptop out with the right software before I can sort me snaps out.

Unfortunately, RNG is moulting, so cheek & neck are no longer the pristine colours they were a few weeks ago! :-C

Yeah, I got some couple of weeks back - thought it'd be a nice project to picture the same bird as it progresses through the moult. Before anyone points it out, I do realise how sad I am.

Jim, I'm not aware of any snowy owls in Yorkshire at the moment, if you know of one please pm me;), it would be a nice life tick.
Eagle owls whilst nice birds, aren't tickable as they are not on the BOU list, which Yorkshire Birding magazine follows.:-C
I'll put my hand up to going over the border for the Dunsop Bridge birds the other year, purely as insurance should BOU ever change their mind on the birds.

Hi Jono - could you give any directions - would love to catch up with one of these?

Anyone know if they usually linger at a site for a couple of days?

Thanks.

It was on a small bit of red valerian on Keble Park South. However, I looked again in the afternoon and then this morning and haven't seen it again.
I will post if it reappears.
Cheers
Jono
ps Saw one in Arlesey, Bedfordshire, last weekend too.

Yes, Snowy Owl would be nice, my pedantic point being that as it's on the Yorkshire list you can't say "all 5 owls" (unless you are only counting resident species).

It's hot out there and I did my back gardening this morning doing some gardening. Spending day indoors doing IT tasks and getting really fed up...

I've just noticed that birdguides report a dip on Cattle Egret at Swilly yesterday. Can't say I noticed on any previous reports. Any details? Pretty gutted as it would be a lifer

showed very briefly yesterday lunch, dropped in for 5 mins before disappearing, then was seen to fly on to the main bay late afternoon.

extensive searching could not turn the bird up but it's a massive area and it had proven impossible to track down.

could still be in the area but again this morning after watching and scanning, it didn't show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back