• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (48 Viewers)

Finally got around to uploading my pictures from last weekends skua cruise, if you're interested click on the link in my signature!

Black Kite at Spurn. A bit grainy, but I'm sure someone else will get some better ones ;)

Attachments

• 18-09-12BlackKite030CanalScrape.jpg
    18-09-12BlackKite030CanalScrape.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 18-09-12BlackKite029CanalScrape.jpg
    18-09-12BlackKite029CanalScrape.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 98
I was down at Fairburn Ings today - finally catching up with the eclipse garganey. Finding the bird was a real pain in the eyes as I was looking South straight at the sun. Not easy scanning a flock of ducks and avoiding catching the sun's reflection on the water. Managed it in the end when a cloud covered the sun for a few minutes. Also whilst there I was put onto a a couple of pintail by one of the regular Fairburn watchers. Turn up for the books was a whinchat on the fence line north of the road. First time in years that I've seen whinchat at Fairburn, and not the only bird on the reserve as the guy I was talking to had seen a different bird earlier this week.

Still a couple of hobbies showing well at Swillington. The downside being lots of people on site due to new gates that have been fitted. Not much else going on with all the disturbance.

Pec Sand at Fairburn

I spent a grand total of 6 hours today viewing New Flash from the road. Pec Sand had disappeared shortly before I arrived at 11ish. No sign until it reappeared at 2pm in short grass on south side of the flash, but it remained extremely elusive, hanging out with Snipe, with rarely more than a head and bill visible. At 4.30, however, it started feeding actively and at 5pm came down to the edge of the water for a wash and showed very well, finally!

Nice supportng cast too: Little Stint, one Garganey, 2 Whinchat, Peregrine, Marsh Harrier, Red Kite.

Ldv

Not a great pic but clearly visible (via the scope) there is a hobby sitting on the right hand post behind the tractor.It was actually ducking down as the tractor went past, sat and watched it play hide and seek for a very enjoyable 20 minutes.

some newish efforts
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zing0414/

Attachments

• h1a.jpg
    h1a.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
I spent a grand total of 6 hours today viewing New Flash from the road. Pec Sand had disappeared shortly before I arrived at 11ish. No sign until it reappeared at 2pm in short grass on south side of the flash, but it remained extremely elusive, hanging out with Snipe, with rarely more than a head and bill visible. At 4.30, however, it started feeding actively and at 5pm came down to the edge of the water for a wash and showed very well, finally!

Nice supportng cast too: Little Stint, one Garganey, 2 Whinchat, Peregrine, Marsh Harrier, Red Kite.

The bird was showing nicely when I watched it at 07.15, the light was good then as the sun was well over to the East, not straight in your face. Stopped off, got the bird and back driving to work inside 15 minutes. Nice easy twitch, gimme more of these.:-O

Users who are viewing this thread

Back