• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birders Yearlist Challenge (1 Viewer)

1st) Canadagurl123 (Canada) - 241 species
2nd) Birding Maniac (Durham, GB) - 227 species
3rd) Kinghorn the bird brain (Durham, GB) - 220 species
4th) Joseph N (Aberdeenshire, GB) - 207 species
5th) Robert Williamson (Norfolk, GB) - 203 species
5th) Muddy Turnstone (Sweden) - 203 species
7th) Zac Hinchcliffe (Lancashire, GB) - 184 species
7th) Jonny721 (Lancashire, GB) -184 species
9th) Halcon (Spain) - 178 species
11th) AlexGuthrie (Angus, GB) - 173 species
10th) Ash1456 (Cornwall, GB) -171 species
12th) Gropperwinch (sussex, GB) - 168 species
13th) CreamColouredCourser (GB) -160 species
14th) Midlands Birder (Midlands, GB) - 144 species
15th) SimmoJunior (London, GB) - 140 species
16th) Geth (Glamorgan, GB) - 131 species
17th) Billsbirding (Surrey, GB) - 129 species
18th) ausmar (Malta) - 127 species
18th) Adin92 (Malta) -127 species
20th) Robin jack (Italy) - 126 species
21st)Loufish (London, GB) - 119 species
22nd) Alexjh1 (Northants, GB) - 117 species
23rd) Middy24 (Northumberland, GB) - 114 species
24th) Cnocell (GB) - 83 species
25th) tjbirdofprey (Spain) - 64 species
26th) nrg800 (Australia) - 42 species
27th) PeterFisher13 (Merseyside, GB) - 32 species
28th) Maltese Falcon (Malta) - 28 species
29th) The Seagull (Aberdeenshire, GB) - 21 species
30th) UtahnBirder (Utah, USA) - 9 species

As you saw the bird before it entered the mist net then you can include it in your list mate :t: Finally managed to get Green Sandpiper today taking me up to 184o:D

I'm up to 147 with a successful trip to the new forest today and some other recent birding.
The new birds to the list are Green Sandpiper, Honey Buzzard (life tick), Goshawk, Tree Pipit, Cuckoo and Stone Curlew (trip to weeting last month).
Also I had forgotten to tick off ruddy duck on my list.

Fair Isle on Tuesday!

As you saw the bird before it entered the mist net then you can include it in your list mate :t: Finally managed to get Green Sandpiper today taking me up to 184o:D

Glad you got your Green Sand you were banging on about:-O

I was wondering if perhaps you could let us know if we are allowed to count birds in the hand that have been caught in mist nets. The reason I bring up the subject is I am all for counting birds you see that have been caught in the mist net. Here are my reasons why I support it:
1 - Many birders go to Fair Isle and some birds may only be seen whilst being rung.
2 - They are still wild birds whether it be before, during, or after ringing they are still wild and always will be.
3 - It would be I beleive unfair if someone was to go to Fair Isle this year and see 6 new year ticks but only whilst the birds were being rung. If the rule was applied that birds being rung cannot be counted I believe that is unfair.

Just a friendly exchange.:t:

Last edited:
I have finally got another year tick after a really year tick free period. 208 - with a couple of Bonxies off Blackdog with Simeon (mr sim), James (jimmyg) and Connor Rand. Also headed to the Ythan and got nice views of of four Spoonbills. Wondering how long it will take me to get to my new target of the year: 220.

Joseph

Glad you got your Green Sand you were banging on about:-O

I was wondering if perhaps you could let us know if we are allowed to count birds in the hand that have been caught in mist nets. The reason I bring up the subject is I am all for counting birds you see that have been caught in the mist net. Here are my reasons why I support it:
1 - Many birders go to Fair Isle and some birds may only be seen whilst being rung.
2 - They are still wild birds whether it be before, during, or after ringing they are still wild and always will be.
3 - It would be I beleive unfair if someone was to go to Fair Isle this year and see 6 new year ticks but only whilst the birds were being rung. If the rule was applied that birds being rung cannot be counted I believe that is unfair.

Just a friendly exchange.:t:

I think birds (wild ones) caught in mist nets should be allowed to be counted! Like you say the are wild if there in a net or not.
Pelagic coming up on the 31st should add stuff like Storm Petrel and Wilsons Petrel and hoping to get seawatching at some point which could boost me by 5-10.

Hi everyone,
Where is everyone going on holiday this year? Anyone staying at home?
Over the summer, i will head down to Cornwall, with seawatching being my aim down there. On the way back i will stop of in Gloustershire, and then at my Grandma's, on the welsh border. I should do some birding in wales from there. Then it is back home for a couple of days before heading of to spain for two weeks. I then have 3 days of birding before going back to school.

But, i have gone through my lists, and i have some species that i don't have the notes i would like for them ect, and i would like to remove these species for fairness.
There is eight species that i am going to remove. Therefore, i would end up up on 219. I will keep them on my personal list though.

Today though, I saw a new species: Greenshank, one of my favourite birds! :) 220

Last edited:
I was speaking to Jonny, and he said that everyone can count birds if they have been caught in mist nets.
I was just adding my opinion...
I havent counted it on here or on my lists (yet:t:) but what does everyone think about the House Finch at Lands End back in May?Wild or not?
I personally dont know, i think the colour isnt good but the supporting cast of WT Sparrow, BH Cowbird, Dark eyed Junco and some N American stuff in Europe helps it.
Good luck in Cornwall BM! You on one of the Cornwall Birding pelagics?

I havent counted it on here or on my lists (yet:t:) but what does everyone think about the House Finch at Lands End back in May?Wild or not?
I personally dont know, i think the colour isnt good but the supporting cast of WT Sparrow, BH Cowbird, Dark eyed Junco and some N American stuff in Europe helps it.

Obviously it is not countable for out little friendly competion but I don't know enough House Finch to comment much about it. However I would tend to think it is the real deal but ship assisted. Best to wait and see what the commitees say or think about it. I have no problem with ticking ship assisted birds. Ask my freinds "I tick owt'!":-O

Hi everyone,
Where is everyone going on holiday this year? Anyone staying at home?
Over the summer, i will head down to Cornwall, with seawatching being my aim down there. On the way back i will stop of in Gloustershire, and then at my Grandma's, on the welsh border. I should do some birding in wales from there. Then it is back home for a couple of days before heading of to spain for two weeks. I then have 3 days of birding before going back to school.

But, i have gone through my lists, and i have some species that i don't have the notes i would like for them ect, and i would like to remove these species for fairness.
There is eight species that i am going to remove. Therefore, i would end up up on 219.

Today though, I saw a new species: Greenshank, one of my favourite birds! :)

Have a nice time BM! I think you should be laughing for sea birds. Should get: Cory's Shearwater, Great Shearwater, Wilson's Petrel and the likes. Be sure to brush up on your sea bird ID before you go to refresh your memory, well thats what I'd do anyway.:t:

Greenshanks are wonderful birds! A few have got me excited thinking they were something else when viewed from a distance.

Have a nice time BM! I think you should be laughing for sea birds. Should get: Cory's Shearwater, Great Shearwater, Wilson's Petrel and the likes. Be sure to brush up on your sea bird ID before you go to refresh your memory, well thats what I'd do anyway.:t:

Greenshanks are wonderful birds! A few have got me excited thinking they were something else when viewed from a distance.

Have been reading most nights on id features. Greenshanks are amazing birds, and i saw some at saltholme today. Last year there was an individual that fed just infront of the visitor centre there for for sometime, giving brilliant views from the cafe.

Don't no if i can get on any pelagics, nothing is booked but at this time i doubt that i will be able to now. Just lots of seawatching, and hopefully will get some interesting species. I am aiming to see Great, Cory's, Manx, Sooty and Balearic Shearwaters (1,4 and 5 would be lifers) and 4 Skua species, Wilson's and Storm Petrel, Sabine's Gull( A bogey species) and Red Necked Phalarope. Of them, i would get 12 new year ticks and 7 life birds. Also I dream of one of those mega that have been seen there- Little and Yekouan Shearwaters, Fea's Petrel, Madeiran Petrel, Black Browed Albertross....:t:

I will put the hopurs in though, as i know you just cant go and sit down, see these species and go.

I would also like to see Chough, Cirl Bunting (In devon on the way to glouster) and just whatever I see.

1st) Canadagurl123 (Canada) - 241 species
2nd) Kinghorn the bird brain (Durham, GB) - 221 species
3rd) Birding Maniac (Durham, GB) - 220 species
4th) Joseph N (Aberdeenshire, GB) - 208 species
5th) Robert Williamson (Norfolk, GB) - 203 species
5th) Muddy Turnstone (Sweden) - 203 species
7th) Zac Hinchcliffe (Lancashire, GB) - 190 species
7th) Jonny721 (Lancashire, GB) -187 species
9th) Halcon (Spain) - 178 species
11th) AlexGuthrie (Angus, GB) - 173 species
10th) Ash1456 (Cornwall, GB) -171 species
12th) Gropperwinch (sussex, GB) - 168 species
13th) CreamColouredCourser (GB) -160 species
14th) SimmoJunior (London, GB) - 147 species
15th) Midlands Birder (Midlands, GB) - 144 species
16th) Geth (Glamorgan, GB) - 131 species
17th) Billsbirding (Surrey, GB) - 129 species
18th) ausmar (Malta) - 127 species
18th) Adin92 (Malta) -127 species
20th) Robin jack (Italy) - 126 species
21st)Loufish (London, GB) - 119 species
22nd) Alexjh1 (Northants, GB) - 117 species
23rd) Middy24 (Northumberland, GB) - 114 species
24th) Cnocell (GB) - 83 species
25th) tjbirdofprey (Spain) - 64 species
26th) nrg800 (Australia) - 42 species
27th) PeterFisher13 (Merseyside, GB) - 32 species
28th) Maltese Falcon (Malta) - 28 species
29th) The Seagull (Aberdeenshire, GB) - 21 species
30th) UtahnBirder (Utah, USA) - 9 species

Weekend trip to Northumberland produced 3 year ticks for me, a slight feeling of deja vu as I got exactly the same 3 species on a July trip to Northumberland last year. Osprey, Puffin and Roseate Tern take me up to 187

Ill join in :) I'm new here, and 16 years old. Who do i email in my list to? May take a while compiling, attempting to remember all the birds i have seen i the last 7 months...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back