• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Favourite Bird of prey. (1 Viewer)

May i be bold enough to mention another one of my favourite birds and if anyone on here comes from the Falkland Islands then i apologise.
But its the Funiest and most cleverest bird of prey i think i know and that is the caracara.
A bit of a scavanger i know but extremely intelligent.

In terms of raptors seen in the UK, my favourites are Golden Eagle and White-tailed Eagle but all raptors are fascinating. I suppose Harpy Eagle would be one of the best but along with other posters on this thread, my chances of catching up with one are slight. My other main interest is wildfowl and to see Stella's Sea Eagle and Whooper Swan in the snow in Japan would be fantastic :D but again only a small chance for me at the moment.

Free said:
I have to say for me its the Kestrel and the Golden Eagle.

although i do love the Brown on the Harris Hawk ( Why the name 'Harris'?) :h?:

According to this site, the Harris (or Bay-Winged Hawk) was discovered by Audubon and named after a friend who was with him when he made the discovery.
http://www.hawk-conservancy.org/priors/harris.shtml

I too vote for the Harris Hawk as a favourite, along with the Golden Eagle.

cheers,
jim

Love the Peregrine falcon, my favorite bird of prey, very rare here in Tennessee,
they have been relocated here in mountains and seem to be doing o.k. nesting and breeding-----my goal is to see and photograph one.

Definitely Peregrine for me! I am fortunate to live near a number of nesting sites (6 sites within 15 minute drive) , so finding/viewing them is never a problem. I don't really consider myself a birder, but I do routinely spend hours at a time just watching the locals Peregines.

jimtfoto said:
According to this site, the Harris (or Bay-Winged Hawk) was discovered by Audubon and named after a friend who was with him when he made the discovery.
http://www.hawk-conservancy.org/priors/harris.shtml

I too vote for the Harris Hawk as a favourite, along with the Golden Eagle.

cheers,
jim

We have similar tastes. The Harris is also quite un-usual as Birds of prey go as they hunt in Packs .
They are suppose to be quite acceptable to the presence of man aswell which makes them quite a common Falconry bird as as stated above they are also more tolerant of other birds of prey flying at the same time.

But as we all know there is quite often only one animal that the bird of prey fears and i think we know which one!

All of you have mentioned so many of your favourites that you make me feel stingy (though I have declared that I basically do like all kinds of raptors)
So there are some more (officially explained):

Golden Eagle
White-tailed Eagle
Kestrel
Peregrine
Geranoaetus melanoleucus (Blaubussard - I don't know his english name)
Red Kite
Goshawk
Sparrow Hawk
Common Buzzard
European Hony Buzzard
Philippine Eagle

hope that's enough for a while...

Hi Sandra,
Sandra (Taylor) said:
....... and Isabelle who found a shrike & a wheatear; Mr. Cretzchmar who found a bunting; Mr. Terek who found a sandpiper; Mr. Temminck who found a stint ..............................

Sandra
Apologies if you already knew this, but, while Cretzschmar and Temminck were people, 'Isabelline' refers to a colour and 'Terek' is a river in Russia.
Harry

Free said:
I have to say for me its the Kestrel and the Golden Eagle.

although i do love the Brown on the Harris Hawk ( Why the name 'Harris'?) :h?:
My favourite as to be either the red kite or the harris hawk. I was told that the harris hawk is name after the bloke that found it. He also told me that it is actually a buzzard, but the americans don't like to use the word buzzard for things of beauty

Arghhh

It's like being forced to chose a favourite child :stuck:

I have always loved Peregrines, but still not seen one wild.

However, since I found local Barn Owls last summer - they are quite probably my favourite ( but are Owls included in this ? )

Mal Skelton

malskelton said:
Arghhh

It's like being forced to chose a favourite child :stuck:

I have always loved Peregrines, but still not seen one wild.

However, since I found local Barn Owls last summer - they are quite probably my favourite ( but are Owls included in this ? )

Mal Skelton

Get on a train to Exeter, walk half a mile from central station and look up. Bingo!

Peregrines for me, although all raptors have my unsatiable fascination. I can't help getting a knot in my stomach and a racing heart beat when I see a peregrine, and sometimes even a picture of one!
They are also one of the most fabulous birds to speak to people about - i love giving talks about peregrines because there is so much about them that is comepltely awe-inspiring; they are the true masters of the air!
Jim

Last edited:
I love Raptors!!

Apart from the obvious!! I am happy with which ever is in my bins or scope or with my eyes (being myopic doesn't help!!)...at that time!!
Just watching them flying is the real thrill and everything else a bonus!!

(At Minsmere on Sunday I felt happy to watch the Marsh Harriers hunting)

Have to admit Eagles do do it...tho...(see Valencia thread in Vacation Trips for some wonderful pics from Jules Sykes of Golden Eagles )
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=36314

There are so many in the World that I'd love to see.

Ohhh

Never thought about the Marsh Harriers .... watched them while on a boat on the Broads last summer, beautiful views ( and Hobby, Kestrel and Barn Owl ).

Thanks for the info about the Peregrines in Exeter - maybe I can convince gf that we need to visit Exeter for the culture ( "oh, what a coincidence there seem to be Falcons in the area !!" )

Mal Skelton

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back