• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Favourite Bird of prey. (1 Viewer)

Talon 1

I have to say for me its the Kestrel and the Golden Eagle.

although i do love the Brown on the Harris Hawk ( Why the name 'Harris'?) :h?:

I love the the Peregrine cause it is awesome. Harris Hawks are called this because I think that was the guys name who found it. Probably like Mr Cooper who found the Coopers Hawk.

Gary.

I have 2 favourites.Firstly,the Osprey.This was the species that got me interested in birds in the first place.Secondly,the Hobby.Graceful looking,elegant,fast and a master of the wings.A bit like Shaun Wright Phillips at Manchester City....different class.

I love everything about raptors as they are my favourite type of birds. Hard pushed to actually pick out a favourite but Marsh Harrier would have to be close to the top as they are so graceful. Red Kite also has to be up there for their total beauty and White tailed Eagle because they are so awesome.

Abroad I still love to watch the Griffon Vulture gliding effortlessly across the sky. Beautiful in flight, quite ugly at rest.

top of the list for me - peregrine falcon - superb.

although eagles, owls, hawks, kites etc are ALL exellent, there is just something special about those peregrines....

I love the peregrine falcon
and would love to see
that long white tailed Kite..

Raptors are fascinating.. almost
hypnotic when up close to them

but have just seen the picture
of the white Goshawk.. did not
know there was such a bird.
and it is beautiful..

Last edited:
Kestrels for me, for the reason that they are so common, yet you can't help stop whatever you are doing to watch them hovering and they are the only ones I have managed to take a half way decent photo of.

Mick

I would have to choose the Buzzard as my favourite.The reason being that it was watching Buzzards soaring overhead from my garden got me interested in birding in the first place.

White Hawk is pretty damn special, as is American Swallow-tailed kite.
Tom

Attachments

• White Hawk El Imposible Jan 05 (7).JPG
    White Hawk El Imposible Jan 05 (7).JPG
    278.5 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:
I have to agree with Eddie and Mick,its the Kestrel for me to.Looking out for them as a child when traveling on the motorway.Always has and always will be my fav bird.

Gary.......

Free said:
I have to say for me its the Kestrel and the Golden Eagle.

although i do love the Brown on the Harris Hawk ( Why the name 'Harris'?) :h?:

American Kestrel!!!!! And Ferruginous Hawk!!!! Beauties of the skies! But how can I limit it to those two? ;)

Has to be the Hobby - so small, so determined, so beautifull ! plus i live on a migration filghtpath so see em spring and autumn

:clap:

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back