• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Favourite, Not Your Best, Bins? (1 Viewer)

Gentlemen

For a moment you got my heart pounding with excitement but regretably limited editions prices (100 per a only) rule it out as a back-up instrument and neither me nor Troubadoris are taken by the curry-powder colour, even if it does look like elephant hide. It would have to be classic black in the same guise as Troubadoris's old 1976 Trinovids for us to consider it.

Thanks for looking up the bargain price Bruce :eek!:
Remind me to not ask you to do my Christmas shopping this year :-O

Lee

Favorite of all time?

Zeiss 7x42 FL

Most often used and probably the easiest bin for me to pick up and use for practically anything?

Sightron 8x32

I don't really have a "love bin". I try not to get too attached to any of my instruments. ;)

My best and most used birding binocular is a Maven 9x45. It is truly a pleasure to use. And yet I continue to have a recurring very positive experience with the Sightron II 8x32 which I always have with me in the car. Yesterday I decided to stop by this local grove of eucalyptus trees I had driven by several times. Further down at the edge of a canyon looking out to the ocean I noticed quite a bit of activity, so I got out the Sightron and had a wonderful view of Hooded Orioles, a Northern Mockingbird, and a Red-talied Hawk, as well as a large raccoon drinking water with cupped hands.

Though it had probably been several weeks since I had used it, this 8x32 was so comfortable in hand and easy to look through, that I never once felt any regret that I didn't have "a better binocular" with me--I just enjoyed the view. I know the old saying that the best binocular is the one that you have with you. Perhaps I am fickle and my favorite is the one I am currently using, but to qualify it can't have characteristics that are irritating or distracting. Obviously this is a ymmv situation but for me this inexpensive binocular certainly performs admirably whenever I call on it.

Alan

My best and most used birding binocular is a Maven 9x45. It is truly a pleasure to use. And yet I continue to have a recurring very positive experience with the Sightron II 8x32 which I always have with me in the car. Yesterday I decided to stop by this local grove of eucalyptus trees I had driven by several times. Further down at the edge of a canyon looking out to the ocean I noticed quite a bit of activity, so I got out the Sightron and had a wonderful view of Hooded Orioles, a Northern Mockingbird, and a Red-talied Hawk, as well as a large raccoon drinking water with cupped hands.

Though it had probably been several weeks since I had used it, this 8x32 was so comfortable in hand and easy to look through, that I never once felt any regret that I didn't have "a better binocular" with me--I just enjoyed the view. I know the old saying that the best binocular is the one that you have with you. Perhaps I am fickle and my favorite is the one I am currently using, but to qualify it can't have characteristics that are irritating or distracting. Obviously this is a ymmv situation but for me this inexpensive binocular certainly performs admirably whenever I call on it.

Alan

Sounds like that Sightron is sneaking into your affections Alan.

Lee

Great thread, because I know exactly what you mean. I only have three pairs, my 'best' pair are my Swaro 8.5x42 Swarovisions. My most used are a pair of Nikon 8x32 HG's but my favourite are my 20+ year old Leica 10x42 BA's. I use the Nikons most as they live in the car and come out for dog walks etc and my Swaro's are my main birding pair now. But My Leica's were my first quality optics and I still love the way they feel - i.e. pretty much indestructible. The view might not be as good as the Swaro's (but only just) but its still brilliant, and contrary to what the current trend seems to be, I think they feel better in the hand than any current open bridge design. Think I'll take em out next time instead now Ive written this.

Last edited:
Hello,

My most used binocular is a Meopta Pro 6.5x32. I like its stable, wide field of view in a a compact package. As I generally carry two binoculars, the compact size gives it an advantage over my Zeiss 7x42 Dialyt.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Great thread, because I know exactly what you mean. I only have three pairs, my 'best' pair are my Swaro 8.5x42 Swarovisions. My most used are a pair of Nikon 8x32 HG's but my favourite are my 20+ year old Leica 10x42 BA's. I use the Nikons most as they live in the car and come out for dog walks etc and my Swaro's are my main birding pair now. But My Leica's were my first quality optics and I still love the way they feel - i.e. pretty much indestructible. The view might not be as good as the Swaro's (but only just) but its still brilliant, and contrary to what the current trend seems to be, I think they feel better in the hand than any current open bridge design. Think I'll take em out next time instead now Ive written this.

Craig

Plenty of folks have warm feelings about Leica BA / BN and many of them learned their birding craft on them.

Lee

Hello,

My most used binocular is a Meopta Pro 6.5x32. I like its stable, wide field of view in a a compact package. As I generally carry two binoculars, the compact size gives it an advantage over my Zeiss 7x42 Dialyt.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Always good to welcome an unusual choice. Meopta no longer list this model on their website.

Lee

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back