• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Z" Cap Replacement (1 Viewer)

quincy88

Hey Everyone,
Does anyone know where I can get a replacement hinge cap for the 42mm T*FLs? I'm looking for the small plastic cap that goes on the objective end of the hinge that has a stylized "Z" on it. Mine fell off and was lost forever. I've looked around, but have so far been unable to track one down.
-thanks,q

I would imagine it's not the most common spare part to need replacing, so maybe needs ordering from Zeiss but, Gary is spot on and has helped me out on a couple of occasions with new eye cups and lens covers for my FL.

Hi, I have these in stock.
However, f you are not in the UK it would probably be best to order from your local Zeiss agency.

Gary

Hi, I have these in stock.
However, f you are not in the UK it would probably be best to order from your local Zeiss agency.

Gary

Hi Gary,
Are you the Gary from East Coast binocular repair mentioned by Weasel1? Either way, that is good to know that some of these little caps still exist. I am in the US. I will try some more local resources, but may be contacting you if I cannot find one.
-thanks,q

I had previously tried to go through Zeiss to get this piece but was unable to do so. I just reviewed my records and it appears that I failed to follow through, and that Zeiss had been willing to work with me. I remembered incorrectly and thought that they had been unable to help. I will start down that avenue again, and will post updates here for those who are curious.

Hi @quincy88 yes, that is the same, Gary and I never thought to ask if you were in the US, my mistake but, if Gary has the caps then you would expect them to be available in the US, so good luck and I hope you can source one.

Wow. I had no idea these came off, because I was certain the FLs could not be tripod mounted unless strapped to the Berlebach thingie or some such.
Good luck in sourcing a replacement at a sensible cost.

Wow. I had no idea these came off, because I was certain the FLs could not be tripod mounted unless strapped to the Berlebach thingie or some such.
Good luck in sourcing a replacement at a sensible cost.
The part in question does not cover a tripod mounting point. It is simply a push on cap covering part of the hinge mechanism.

Gary

Thanks everyone. Things like this make birdforum a nice community to be a part of.
I’m waiting on a response from Zeiss, and I will keep you updated on my part-sourcing journey.

Good things have been happening.
I connected with a very helpful Zeiss employee named Everett, who quickly helped place and processed an order for a new cap. Total it cost me $15 (cap + shipping). The part number that Gary pm'd me helped Everett easily identify what I was asking for (thanks again Gary!).
I'll let you know when my new cap shows up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back