• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Cleaning or possible objective lens replacement of a West Germany Zeiss 8x30B T* (1 Viewer)

gcole

United States
Hey all, I see a really clean looking West Germany Zeiss 8x30B T*. , a later version that shows little to no wear to its exterior on Ebay for sale for $799. from a Japan seller. I am trying to figure out if this is a good price because their is a very noticeable stain on one of the objective lens. The seller says the view is not effected ? If I were to purchase these, does anyone know if Zeiss would or could clean or replace a lens if needed ? and if paying the asking price with the cost of the service work added be unrecoverable if re-sold. Thanks ..... Gwen.

Last edited:
Shouldn't he have it cleaned or repaired first before selling it for this price? I don't trust "unaffected view" promises by anybody.

Hello Gwen,

I think that this glass is way overpriced. It does not seem to be phase coated, although it might be, and there is also some problem internally at the edge of the same objective: white or silver irregular spot. Also anticipate a whopping shipping fee.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Hi Gwen,

I'd be much more concerned about the blue mark on the edge of the lens at the 7 o'clock position, and the white line at 9 o'clock
The former may be an indication that the objective lens pair is separating?
- I'm sure someone can provide more information

John

See two images from the listing, along with one of the Dialyt's optical construction. . .

Attachments

• Objective lens.jpg
    Objective lens.jpg
    332.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Zeiss 8x30 B T*.jpg
    Zeiss 8x30 B T*.jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Dialyt Optical construction.jpg
    Dialyt Optical construction.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 39
Hi,

I have just had a look at the ebay listing.

It is a nice looking binocular body-wise but there is something going on inside it. It looks as if the stain, together with what looks like the start of fungal growth, is actually on the bottom face of the prism assembly. The only cure for marks on the prisms in this location would be replacement of the prism assemblies - at probably over $250 each.

Looking a bit closer it appears as if there are small spots appearing on the rear surfaces of the objective lenses. Could be the start of fungus.

Gary

Shouldn't he have it cleaned or repaired first before selling it for this price? I don't trust "unaffected view" promises by anybody.
I totally agree, if I had a pair of binoculars that had those issues I would not be selling it til I had it fixed. I am not that gullible to believe the claim of it having a beautiful view, that’s why I questioned the members here.

Thanks
Hello Gwen,

I think that this glass is way overpriced. It does not seem to be phase coated, although it might be, and there is also some problem internally at the edge of the same objective: white or silver irregular spot. Also anticipate a whopping shipping fee.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Hi Gwen,

I'd be much more concerned about the blue mark on the edge of the lens at the 7 o'clock position, and the white line at 9 o'clock
The former may be an indication that the objective lens pair is separating?
- I'm sure someone can provide more information

John

See two images from the listing, along with one of the Dialyt's optical construction. . .

Hi,

I have just had a look at the ebay listing.

It is a nice looking binocular body-wise but there is something going on inside it. It looks as if the stain, together with what looks like the start of fungal growth, is actually on the bottom face of the prism assembly. The only cure for marks on the prisms in this location would be replacement of the prism assemblies - at probably over $250 each.

Looking a bit closer it appears as if there are small spots appearing on the rear surfaces of the objective lenses. Could be the start of fungus.

Gary
Thanks Arthur, John and Gary for those very informative opinions and possible issues that could have been a really big headache to say the least if I had purchased these. Even though the seller had messaged me with a lower offer I am going to pass on these. ........ Gwen

Could this version of the Zeiss 8x30B made in West Germany even be fully serviced by Zeiss or any other professional source if this pair had all of those possible issues ?

Last edited:
Could this version of the Zeiss 8x30B made in West Germany even be fully serviced by Zeiss or any other professional source if this pair had all of those possible issues ?
Yes,

It can be serviced by Zeiss......................but it will not be possible to clean those marks off the bottom of the prism assembly - the assembly will have to be replaced.

Also note that if there is fungus in the binocular other problems could arise later.

Plus..................if there are any traces of fungus then Zeiss will not let the binocular into their workshop in case anything else gets infected.

Gary

I had to send my 8x30BGATP to Zeiss a couple of years ago. Apparently some moisture got into both tubes, and both prisms had to be replaced. That wasn't a cheap repair - but I'm quite attached to that pair, so I had the work done.

Giving that pair a pass is IMO the only viable option.

Hermann

Yes,

It can be serviced by Zeiss......................but it will not be possible to clean those marks off the bottom of the prism assembly - the assembly will have to be replaced.

Also note that if there is fungus in the binocular other problems could arise later.

Plus..................if there are any traces of fungus then Zeiss will not let the binocular into their workshop in case anything else gets infected.

Gary
Interesting, they will not even let them play with the other Binoculars if they have a fungus infection. Wow ... that’s is something good to know.

Gary,

Just wondering. Not in this case but how could fungus get inside a nitrogene filled bin?

Jan
Hi Jan,

Fungus cannot get inside a nitrogen filled binocular - unless it has a leaky seal, etc. But it can get in them if they are stripped down for repair.
Binocular workshops such as Zeiss also work on products which are not sealed / nitrogen filled and these obviously can be affected by airborne fungal spores.

I think that most manufacturers will not accept repairs that are infected by fungus - Zeiss and Leica for certain.

Gary

Unfortunately I have seen many hundreds of lenses, binoculars and scopes with fungus from mild to truly awful.

I used to clean simple uncoated lenses, but haven't done so for ages.

In many cases the true commercial value of the items is zero.
Or minus something, as they take up space, which costs money and can infect other optics.

I would say the value of the Zeiss 8x30 here is zero, although an independent repairer would clean it and it has some value as a substandard cleaned binocular.
Hong Kong used to have many repairers who cleaned fungus in optics.
If done soon enough, the damage may be small.

Not only are the lens surfaces affected by the fungus, but the interior surface of the barrels, the multiple baffles and the lens edges also are affected.

Cases are also affected and I just throw them away.

The fungus can creep into balsamed lens groups also.

I suppose if optics were stored where the hundreds of parked aircraft are in the desert they might last a hundred years unaffected.
But a seaside British town in an unheated garage I give it less than a year.

I got a brand new waterproof Chinese binocular with extensive fungus in it.

I keep my place warm and with low humidity, so this gives optics a chance.

Regards,
B.

Hi,

actually even a nitrogen-filled pair might contain some fungus spores deposited from the air during assembly (unless the bins were assembled in a cleanroom, which few are) - they will just not develop into fungus as long as the conditions are sufficiently dry due to the intact nitrogen filling.

Joachim

Hello,

The same Japanese vendor has put up another 8x30B Dialyt on that electronic auction site. It has a lower price, fewer obvious issues but it does not seem to be T coated. The last iterations of this binocular with T and phase coatings is a nice glass, with an inherent design fault but it is now obsolescent. The objective lenses move in the barrels, sometimes kicking up lubricant, which is similar to the current SF 8x32, which at least gas glass windows at the ends of the barrel. I hate to think what a little sand or grit would do in the 8x30B Dialyt. My version, perhaps the last iteration, has T* and phase coating but lacks dielectric mirrors making it a good glass but still behind the times.

This vendor is pitching to the collectors not to the bird watchers. Even though the Japanese made very good optics, there was a certain cachet for Japanese to have Zeiss or Leica products.

Stay safe,
ArthurZeiss  II.jpg

Hi,

The SF has optical lenses at the end of the barrels.
The Dialyt had moving objectives for focus whereas the SF has fixed objective lenses with a moving focus lens behind them.
The first version of the Conqest had a plain glass protector over the objectives but was the only one which did.
All the Dialyts were T coated.

Gary

Hi,

The SF has optical lenses at the end of the barrels.
The Dialyt had moving objectives for focus whereas the SF has fixed objective lenses with a moving focus lens behind them.
The first version of the Conqest had a plain glass protector over the objectives but was the only one which did.
All the Dialyts were T coated.

Gary
Hello Gary,

Thanks for the correction on the SF 8x32.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back