• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 8X30s (1 Viewer)

dries1

Well for 2019 I finally obtained samples of an Zeiss 8X30 and 8X30B which were in very good shape for their age, and the views are still awesome.
The 8X30s have a wide and immersive view, the 8X30Bs have better eye relief and they are both built exceptionally well.

Andy W.

Attachments

• Zeiss 8X30s ed1.jpg
    Zeiss 8X30s ed1.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 180
  • Zeiss 8X30s1.jpg
    Zeiss 8X30s1.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 160
Well for 2019 I finally obtained samples of an Zeiss 8X30 and 8X30B which were in very good shape for their age, and the views are still awesome.
The 8X30s have a wide and immersive view, the 8X30Bs have better eye relief and they are both built exceptionally well.

Andy W.

Hello Andy,

Congratulations on finding these , they appear to be in excellent condition.

Enjoy.

Cheers.

Cyclops,

The 8X30B, with rubber eyecups were made from 1968-1978.
The 8X30 (shorter eye relief) no rubber eye cups was made in the late 50s into the early 60s, do not really know when they stopped making it, late 60s or early 70s is a guess.

42za, yes they are both in excellent condition.

Andy W.

Some details for general interest:

After WWII, there were two Zeiss companies in operation:
- one at the original location of Jena, in what was then the new nation of East Germany (it continued to use the original ‘Carl Zeiss Jena’ marking), and
- a seperate company at Oberkochen in West Germany (see a recent thread with information about the markings used at: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3928021#post3928021 ) *

The East German company recommenced production using the pre-WWII designs
However, when the West German company commenced binocular production in 1954, it used all new more compact designs

The new West German models were notable for the use of tele-objectives i.e. where the 2 objective lenses are not glued together but spaced significantly apart
This meant that for a given focal length there was a shorter physical length, which allowed a binocular to be shorter than usual
(tele-objectives were also later used by Carl Zeiss Jena on some models)
The West German models also included gasket seals at various places to improve water tightness (they’re indicated in red on the first cross-section image)

* the two Zeiss companies finally reunited on 1991, following the reunification of Germany in 1990

- - -

There were three versions of the West German 8x30 Centre Focus Porros:
A) 1954 to 1971
8x30 W, with 8.5 deg Field of View (150 m), and 9 mm Eye Relief

B) 1958 to 1968
8x30 B (v1), with 6.5 deg FOV (110 m), and 19 mm ER

C) 1969 to 1978
8x30 B (v2), with 7.5 deg FOV (130 m), and 19 mm ER

The first version had the very short eye relief typical to many binoculars of the era (other ‘pre-B’ era binoculars went to maybe 12 mm - as with most of the Swarovski Porros)

The second version - which was a significant advance at the time - introduced long eye relief eyepieces to binoculars, suitable for use by spectacle wearers
The B designation stood for brillenträgerokular, which translates into English as ’eyeglass wearers’
And the 19 mm eye relief would be considered acceptable even by current standards. However, it was accompanied by a significant loss of FOV

The third version somewhat addressed the loss of FOV while maintaining the generous eye relief

- - - -

In terms of optical construction:
- both the original and intermediate versions had tele-objectives. In contrast the last version had a conventional cemented doublet
- all three had different eyepiece lenses (both lenses and groups with the original and intermediate versions, and different lens shapes and thicknesses with the two B versions)

See the attached cross-sections for the three versions:
- the original is from a 1960 catalogue, from Mark at Miniature Binoculars at: http://www.miniaturebinoculars.com/part3/Page1013.htm
- the two B versions are from Arek at Allbinos at: https://www.allbinos.com/171.1-article-Legendary_binoculars_-_Carl_Zeiss_8x30.html

- - - -

In terms of easy visual identification:
- the original model had small diameter traditionally styled hard eyecups
- the intermediate model had longer eyepiece housings with larger soft rubber eyecups
- the last model had longer objective tubes than the previous two, along with slightly shorter eyepiece housings than the intermediate version

See the attached image from Renze de Vries which clearly compares the two B versions, from post #15 at: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=246368

John

Attachments

• 1960 cat.jpg
    1960 cat.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 91
  • 8x30 B v1.jpg
    8x30 B v1.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 8x30 B v2.jpg
    8x30 B v2.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 8x30 B v1 (right) vs v2 (left).jpg
    8x30 B v1 (right) vs v2 (left).jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Some additional images:

- including specifications for the 8x30 W version, from a 1964 catalogue

- including a description of the B eyepiece function, and specifications for the original 8x30 B model, both from a 1964 catalogue

- showing the smaller diameter eye lens of the 8x30 W (bottom) compared to the original 8x30 B, from Anna & Terry Vacani at: http://www.binoculars-cinecollectors.com/html/body_germ_p_7.html

The Vacani’s also provide additional technical information, including describing 6 versions of the 8x30 W model (primarily of interest to collectors)

John

Attachments

• 8x30 W, 1964 cat.jpg
    8x30 W, 1964 cat.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 8x30 B v1 Intro, 1964 cat.jpg
    8x30 B v1 Intro, 1964 cat.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 8x30 B v1, 1964 cat.jpg
    8x30 B v1, 1964 cat.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 8x30 W (bottom) vs 8x30 B eye lenses.jpg
    8x30 W (bottom) vs 8x30 B eye lenses.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time John in providing a comprehensive summary, it will be a pleasure to read this later tonight, much appreciated - bookmarked.

Andy W.

Hello Mr. John A Roberts,

Thank you for sharing your vast historical binocular knowledge , it is valued and appreciated.

Keep well.

Cheers.

Andy,

Your non-B 8x30 was manufactured in 1968.

I cannot read the serial number of the B model to be able to date it but if you would like to give the number I would be happy to look it up.

BTW...........my serial number database shows that in 1968 non-B and B versions were manufactured alongside each other for a short time - possibly to build up a stock of B's ready for the official release.

Gary.

Serial No. Zeiss 8X30 B

Gary,

Thank you for the info regarding the serial #.
My photo of the serial # for the earlier 8X30 was not too clear, 635337.

The 8x30 B is 13571734, pics attached. That is interesting about the manufacturing overlap in 1968.

Regards,

Andy W.

Attachments

• 8X30 Zeiss.jpg
    8X30 Zeiss.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Zeiss 8X30B1.jpg
    Zeiss 8X30B1.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 63
Hi ‘FortyTwo’ (post #8),

Thanks for the kind words. However, as with all of the historical and technical details that I recount, I’m standing on the shoulders of others
All of the information is available on the Internet

As I’ve indicated elsewhere, having grown up in what was a relatively isolated part of the world in terms of communication,
it’s a pleasure to be able to research matters that take my interest by instantly drawing on information from anywhere in the world

I find that the main thing is to have an organised set of folders, so that as I find useful information, I add a copy to the appropriate folder
And as you'd be aware, I'm big on collecting images that clearly illustrate technical details - more detail for less words

John

Update on Eye Relief

Following my previous posts, see an additional image from a 1962 catalogue, since added to the Miniature Binoculars site:

It shows both the original W eyepiece along with the B v1 eyepiece
While it confirms that the W eyepiece has 9 mm eye relief, the B v1's is listed as 17.5 mm (vs the 19 mm previously quoted)

John

Attachments

• 8x30 W and B v1 Eye Piece Details.jpg
    8x30 W and B v1 Eye Piece Details.jpg
    378.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back