• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss to ditch the HT and no 7X coming. (1 Viewer)

Nice videos CJ but I'd rather have a Maloo pick-up V8...

Lee
You mean a UTE !!!

Lime green? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FssQhpAqv1I

Think I'd prefer the Godzilla given the unforgiving nature of an off ... kinda like an Ozzie version of Pikes Peak !

Btw Lee .... The gentlemen's sport of Cricket is not looking all that noble lately with the Seuwth Afrikaans taking a leaf out of the Poms book and coming up with a modern day version of "lollygate" !! :eek!: ..... mind you we haven't been able to play a moving ball since prior to the 2005 debacle, and even if you got rid of the lollies, and Murali's chucks, I have the feeling we'd still be rewriting the record books as wooden spooners ... it's enough to make you want to emigrate .....

Chosun :gh:

You mean a UTE !!!

Lime green? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FssQhpAqv1I

Think I'd prefer the Godzilla given the unforgiving nature of an off ... kinda like an Ozzie version of Pikes Peak !

Btw Lee .... The gentlemen's sport of Cricket is not looking all that noble lately with the Seuwth Afrikaans taking a leaf out of the Poms book and coming up with a modern day version of "lollygate" !! :eek!: ..... mind you we haven't been able to play a moving ball since prior to the 2005 debacle, and even if you got rid of the lollies, and Murali's chucks, I have the feeling we'd still be rewriting the record books as wooden spooners ... it's enough to make you want to emigrate .....

Chosun :gh:

Lime green works for me CJ, or maybe Lamborghini orange. And don't talk to me about international cricket just now as it looks like England are going to get a 'licking' in India over the course of this series.

Lee

I am the poster.
You were not at this particular show, you know absolutely nothing about what and who was there and yet you draw conclusions.
There was as much sports optics on display as photo equipment, and the rep I spoke with was in charge of the sports optics section, and from what I heard he knew what he was talking about (I have built a telescope, mirror and mecanics and have been into optics for 30 years, so I know when someone tries to fool me with stupid commercial talks, that's for my background).I was actually pleased to talk with someone who knew his subject.

By the way, the Paris Photo Show is a great place to try out sports optics, Swarovski had a 12x50 SV and 8x32 SV field Pro, , an 8x42 SLC HD, Nikon the new 10x42 HG, Canon with four IS models, Kowa FL scopes, etc...

I have made some further enquiries and piecing together information from different sources I can confirm it is correct that HT was not shown at the Paris Photo Show, but it is normal at all shows to have to make a decision about which models to show when there is not room for everything.

It is clear that HT has a distinctive place in the Zeiss line-up just as Chosun Juan has hinted. With AK prisms and high transmission glass it is a different flavour from SF. HT 42 has built up a following here on BF over the last couple of years and it seems to be displacing HT54 to some extent probably by offering good low light performance without the extra weight. Anyway its popularity is still growing and HT fans can rest assured that HT42 is not being withdrawn.

Lee

HT 42 has built up a following here on BF over the last couple of years and it seems to be displacing HT54 to some extent probably by offering good low light performance without the extra weight.
Lee

The HT54 was released 2 years after the HT42, with the intention to replace heavier 56mm bins. It's actually not much heavier than some 50mm bins.
But displacing?, nah, just different flavors...;):smoke:

And don't talk to me about international cricket just now as it looks like England are going to get a 'licking' in India over the course of this series.

Not yet sure about that. After all, now that they dropped Duckett and brought in Buttler ... ;) And with Hameed they seem to have found an opener to partner Cook. That kid is going to get better and better as soon as he gains some more experience at test level.

Cricket? A great game. Beats football anytime.

Hermann

Last edited:
Not yet sure about that. After all, now that they dropped Duckett and brought in Bairstow ... ;) And with Hameed they seem to have found an opener to partner Cook. That kid is going to get better and better as soon as he gains some more experience at test level.

Hermann

Spot on on all counts Hermann, but it's Jos Buttler who will come in for Duckett (although Bairstow should keep the gloves IMO).

Chris

If Zeiss were to get rid of anything, it should be the unnecessary HunTers beef in the HT, and the green ham colour cast of the SF that some see - some HT glass should help there! They might also get rid of the waiting list for 50mm SF by actually making them! as has been suggested ...... :cat:

As one of those who saw a greenish colour cast in the field ... Yes, it was there, and I didn't like it one bit. However, that was a very early SF, and I think it's well possible that later SFs don't have it because Zeiss tweaked the colour balance.

Years ago such subtle tweaks happened all the time. I know of at least three instances where such tweaks were later confirmed by representatives of the maker concerned. In all three cases the changes were not announced at all, they were introduced quietly, based on customer feedback. Only really obvious, major changes were announced, like, in the case of the 10x40 Dialyts, the introduction of T* coatings or of phase coatings. But small changes to the internal baffling? Or slightly different glass types to cut down on CA? Not really.

As to the question of a 50mm SF - I don't think that's going to happen any time soon. I think a new 32mm binocular is probably more important in the market place. Larger binoculars (50mm and more) are rather like 7x binoculars here: A lot of people say they love them - but only a very few people actually buy them.

Hermann

It is clear that HT has a distinctive place in the Zeiss line-up just as Chosun Juan has hinted. With AK prisms and high transmission glass it is a different flavour from SF. HT 42 has built up a following here on BF over the last couple of years and it seems to be displacing HT54 to some extent probably by offering good low light performance without the extra weight.

Well, no 42mm binocular can replace a 54mm (or 56mm) binocular when it's really dark. No way. The difference is *huge*. So for the hunters, especially over here, the 42mm HT won't displace larger binoculars, no matter who makes them.

That said, yes, the HT has got a following. Definitely. At the moment I'm getting closer and closer to getting a 10x42 HT to replace my aging Victory II 10x40 BGATP. I only want to have a quick comparison with the Noctivid before I get it. I really, really like the extra clarity and brightness of the HT over the SF and the feeling of robustness the HT has to it. I also think it's a real bargain compared to the SF (and the Noctivid!) at the moment.

Hermann

Last edited:
That said, yes, the HT has got a following. Definitely. At the moment I'm getting closer and closer to getting a 10x42 HT to replace my aging Victory II 10x40 BGATP. I only want to have a quick comparison with the Noctivid before I get it. I really, really like the extra clarity and brightness of the HT over the SF and the feeling of robustness the HT has to it. I also think it's a real bargain compared to the SF (and the Noctivid!) at the moment.

Hermann

Hard to argue with that Hermann.
I think HT will be regarded as a classic in years to come.

Lee

Not yet sure about that. After all, now that they dropped Duckett and brought in Buttler ... ;) And with Hameed they seem to have found an opener to partner Cook. That kid is going to get better and better as soon as he gains some more experience at test level.

Hermann

About Hameed: definitely agree. More experience in international tests and this guy will fly.

Lee

Well, no 42mm binocular can replace a 54mm (or 56mm) binocular when it's really dark. No way. the difference is *huge*. So for the hunters, especially over here, the 42mm HT won't displace larger binoculars, no matter who makes them.

Hermann

A 42 can't do the job of a 54/56 when its really dark Hermann but what about hunters who don't hunt in the dark? I am not a hunter so I am probably wrong about this but if you hunt until it is half light or so, perhaps a 42 is easier on the neck.

If you are on a hunting stand, with your bins on a shelf and not around your neck and in the dark I can imagine that only a 54/56 will do the job.

Lee

As to the question of a 50mm SF - I don't think that's going to happen any time soon. I think a new 32mm binocular is probably more important in the market place. Larger binoculars (50mm and more) are rather like 7x binoculars here: A lot of people say they love them - but only a very few people actually buy them.

Hermann

Like you Hermann, I am sure a 32 will come first. In the UK I very rarely see a 50mm being carried and by rare I mean some years I don't see any at all and other years maybe one or two.

Lee

The 10X42 SF I received last December just didn't do much for me, the pair I have now arrived at Zeiss USA in October 2016 and they have much improved CA control, and to my eyes very true to life color and contrast. Maybe the Noctivid will prove to be better, but I'm really happy with these, and that's saying something considering the list I've been through in the last couple of years.

As one of those who saw a greenish colour cast in the field ... Yes, it was there, and I didn't like it one bit. However, that was a very early SF, and I think it's well possible that later SFs don't have it because Zeiss tweaked the colour balance.
Hermann

If you are on a hunting stand, with your bins on a shelf and not around your neck and in the dark I can imagine that only a 54/56 will do the job.

Lee

When it's completely dark a keen hunter will get out his or her expensive pulsar thermal imager and night vision scope. :t:

Wildlife don't seem to worry about giving each other a fair chance strangely enough.;)

Attachments

• hyena-hunting.jpg
    hyena-hunting.jpg
    491.4 KB · Views: 107
Wildlife don't seem to worry about giving each other a fair chance strangely enough.;)

LOL of course they don't, they're wild animals, some folks think human beings should know better than wild animals, strangely enough.

Anyway, maybe asking for GPMGs in 7.62mm was a bit over the top: 5.56mm should do the trick :-O .

Just joking by the way folks...

Lee

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back