|Line 1:||Line 1:|
[[Image:Terpsiphone rufocinerea Rufous-vented Paradise-Flycatcher Congo 2012 133.jpg|thumb|550px|right|Photo by
[[Image:Terpsiphone rufocinerea Rufous-vented Paradise-Flycatcher Congo 2012 133.jpg|thumb|550px|right|Photo by Jan Van den Broeck<br />Kinshasa area, [[DR Congo]], October 2012]]
Latest revision as of 16:12, 28 July 2015
- Terpsiphone rufocinerea
18 cm (excluding tail).
- Glossy blue-black head with slight crest
- Chestnut-rufous (sometimes orange-rufous) upperparts and tail
- Dark greyish-blue underparts
- Rufous vent and undertail-coverts
- Elongated central tail feathers
Females are duller, have glossy blue-back only from forehead to nape, a shorter crest and paler underparts.
Distinguished from African Paradise-Flycatcher by rufous undertail-coverts.
Habitat differs through range. Found in primary and mainly secondary forest in Angola. In Republic of Congo in low riverine thickets in open marshes, understorey of flooded forest and sometimes secondary dryland forest. Replaced by Black-headed Paradise-Flycatcher in primary and secondary forest. Also found in mangrove forest and papyrus stands in Gabon.
Occurs in lowlands.
Usually seen solitary or in pairs. Often joins mixed-species flocks.
Feeds on insects. Forages mainly at medium and low levels.
Sallies to catch prey in rapid looping flight, also gleans leaves with frequent hops from branch to branch.
Breeding recorded in January, February, August and November in Gabon, January in Cameroon and January, June and December in DR Congo. A monogamous species. The nest is an open cup made of moss, dry grass, fine fibres and spider webs. It's placed up to 6 m above the ground in a fork of a dead branch or in a trailing vine. Lays 1 to 2 eggs.
This is a resident species.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, B.L. Sullivan, C. L. Wood, and D. Roberson. 2013. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: Version 6.8., with updates to August 2013. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Handbook of the Birds of the World Alive (retrieved July 2014)
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Rufous-vented Paradise-Flycatcher. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 17 May 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/wiki/Rufous-vented_Paradise-Flycatcher