• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

another 8x32, but only 3 that I can choose from (1 Viewer)

timmay

Like other thread posted, I too am going to look at 8x32's tomorrow and will be picking one up.
I will only be choosing from these three as I don't want to order anything. I like buying it right then and there and be able to return it right away if something bad ends up with it.
So here are my local selections that I can afford:

Vortex Viper 8x32 ($550 my max limit)
Ive looked through this at the store and I thought it blew away its 8x42 brother.

Leupold BX3 Mojave 8x32...have never looked through

Nikon Monarch 7 8x30. ( I had the 42 but thought the edge performance was lacking and it had a little too much of a convex field)

Ive read the Monarch 7 8x30 is made in Japan rather than the 42 in China and that it has much better edge detail...is this true?

So are all three of these made in Japan?

Last edited:
The Monarch 7 8x30 I borrowed is labelled "Made in China". There is curvature of field as I saw again yesterday looking at Hyades and also some astigmatism but they aren't very bad. They are seen close to the periphery. Overall the view is pleasing and even surprising for their size and price.

The Monarch 7 8x30 I borrowed is labelled "Made in China". There is curvature of field as I saw again yesterday looking at Hyades and also some astigmatism but they aren't very bad. They are seen close to the periphery. Overall the view is pleasing and even surprising for their size and price.

Have you had a chance to look through the viper 8x32 for comparison?
For $180 more I would think they would have better edge detail..Also made in Japan..dont know if that really even means anything anymore or not, but it would definitely make me feel better even if it is just a mental thing.
I love my Leupold scopes and I know they get their glass from China, no matter what people try and claim.
The scopes say "assembled in the USA" to try and still get that "made in the USA" feeling. Only the high end rifle scopes have German/European glass. ( I know rifle scopes much more then bins)
The only scope manufacturer that makes their own glass and is 100% US made is US Optics and they don't make bins unfortunately because Im sure they would be as superb as their scopes.....I digress, sorry
Im in the same boat as you, I want a good EDC 8x32-ish bin that won't break the bank but still has excellence optics and ergonomics

If the M7 has the same exact edge distortion and curvature as the 42, then Ill have to pass even though I loved everything about the 42 otherwise.

Last edited:
I haven't seen the Viper. The Monarch has a large sweet spot. The distortion is at the far periphery of a large field of view. I only look there when I want to evaluate a binocular. Otherwise, it is easy to frame the bird/object in the large sweet spot during regular observing sessions.

My BX-3 Mojave 8x32's state on the box and on the binos, "Made In Japan".
In the samples I compared, the BX-3 had an even wider sweet spot than the M7.

The Maven B3, although offered ID only, has been making nice waves as per Steve C and FrankD (and others) here on BF...something else to consider!

Ted

Like other thread posted, I too am going to look at 8x32's tomorrow and will be picking one up.
I will only be choosing from these three as I don't want to order anything. I like buying it right then and there and be able to return it right away if something bad ends up with it.
So here are my local selections that I can afford:

Vortex Viper 8x32 ($550 my max limit)
Ive looked through this at the store and I thought it blew away its 8x42 brother.

Leupold BX3 Mojave 8x32...have never looked through

Nikon Monarch 7 8x30. ( I had the 42 but thought the edge performance was lacking and it had a little too much of a convex field)

Ive read the Monarch 7 8x30 is made in Japan rather than the 42 in China and that it has much better edge detail...is this true?

Since you will be in the store to try all three I think you would be in the best position to judge how each one performs and how the ipd and eye relief works for you. I think you will find that most moderately priced binoculars contain some components from low cost locations regardless of the stated country of origin.

Of those, I'd suggest the Viper HD; however, it will be up to personal choice. The Mojave is also a solid option. I was not a fan of the 8x30 Monarch 7.

While many people bring up the Maven, I would struggle to suggest something that cannot be seen before bought. Eye relief, facial geometry, and general ergonomics, in my opinion, make as much of a difference with the view as the actual quality of the optics. For instance, the ZR ED3 has great optical features, but I could not make it work for me. Just some food for thought...

Justin

I got a chance to view all three today but the Viper 8x32 was at a different store so I couldn't compare all three together, only the M7 8x30 and Mojave 8x32.
Also this is all inside a store, so I tried to look in the darkest areas, brightest lights, through windows.etc

I first looked through the Mojave 8x32. Holding it, it feels like it was made to be used and abused. It feels very solid but still very ergonomic. I didn't like the eye cups, but I could live with them, they weren't a deal breaker.
the view was good, field of view good, periphery distortion not too bad, and I couldn't get it to glare at all in the lights so thats great. The focus dial was tight and gritty, not good but probably would loosen up like other leupolds.
But nothing was really wowing me about it. ( I may have to go back tomorrow and look at it again because I really want to like this one lol)

The M7 on the other hand did wow me. Its like looking through a magnified window. The periphery distortion seemed much less than the M7 8x42 I had and it was noticeably less than the Mojave. Everything else about it was also great..eye cups, focus dial like silk, weighs nothing (I actually like the weight of the Mojave and Viper better)
surprised at how ergonomic it as for how small it is. Very bright, could not get it to flare up no matter what I did (same goes for the mojave though)
All in all I liked the M7 better, but the Mojave just feels like you can throw it off a cliff and it will keep on going.
The M7 feels like it may have to be babied, but I don't know.

On a side note, I got to handle the Mojave 8x42 guide model, or pro guide..whatever its called and that sucker is nice...but thats a different story.

Next I went to look at the Viper 8x32 at a different store and I absolutely love this one. Like the Mojave it has some weight to it (not heavy but feels very solid...this must be the Japanese build quality coming into play with both of these?) It is definitely bulkier than the M7 and the Mojave but still very comfortable to hold.

The FOV is smaller than the M7. but larger than the Mojave. ( the specs on the Mojave say 420' at 1000 vs the viper at 400', but I could swear the viper looked to be greater..but maybe Im wrong)

Everything about it was great from its build quality, focus dial, eye cups..etc was all great.
I don't know if its worth almost $200 more than the Monarch 7 but it feels like you are looking through and holding a high quality extremely durable optic.

The Monarch7 has that feeling of looking through a window which the Viper almost has but not quite, but I think...THINK the Viper may have a bit more of a vivid color rendition and maybe, just maybe more definition but it was also in a different store with different/less lighting.

So Im on the Fence between the Viper and Monarch7 and need help being pushed to one or the other by someones experiences with these two.

The M7 FOV is fantastic and bright with minimal edge distortion and is crazy at how small and lightweight it is for such a huge bright view that you get out of it, but I don't know if it being so light will have any issues of it being too delicate or not. Its cost is whats making me lean to it over the Viper.

The Viper costs almost $200 more and I don't know if its worth that much more or not. It does feel very solid and strong and I think the image may be a little more detailed through it over the M7.

If Nikon has the same kind of "no matter what" warranty Vortex has, then I will go with the M7, but if not, then the Viper may be worth the extra money as I wouldn't ever have to worry about damaging or breaking it.

Can anyone tell me the warranty difference of Vortex and Nikon? The sales staff has no idea about Nikon, they say they keep changing their warranty

Last edited:
I think your first impression of the best wow, is with the Nikon Monarch 7.
I would go that way, and you can save some money.

Good luck with your decision. Let us know what you decided.

Jerry

Last edited:
I found on Nikons website that their warranty is a limited lifetime and only covers manufacture defects and workmanship for the original owner, which requires proof of purchase. So if you lose your receipt or your dog eats it..you can forget about it.

Doesn't cover any mishaps, falls, getting mad and throwing them at the wall..etc
So maybe the Vortex is the way to go

Here is their warranty: http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en_...tting-Scope_No_Electronic-warranty-sample.pdf

Last edited:
Before I make the buy, I figured Id add two more bins but Id have to buy sight unseen:
Zen-Ray 7x36 ED2
Vangaurd Endeavor ED2 8x32

Before I make the buy, I figured Id add two more bins but Id have to buy sight unseen:
Zen-Ray 7x36 ED2
Vangaurd Endeavor ED2 8x32

The Endeavor ED2 is nice, but it does not do anything better than the M7. With the ED2, you gain weight and bulk, and loose FOV. The M7 is IMO the clear winner here.

The Z-R is an apples/oranges comparison. It is nearly as big and heavy as a 42mm Razor. However, IMO they do provide a very nice view. Despite the fact that my wife has many nice binos at her disposal, she prefers the 7x36 ED2 most of all. They are surprisingly sharp in the central area. I like ours a lot, but would not consider it to be in the same class as the smaller 30/32mm binos. I have to head off to work now, but if you want more details on this bino, let me know and I will try to post more later today or tonight.

The Endeavor ED2 is nice, but it does not do anything better than the M7. With the ED2, you gain weight and bulk, and loose FOV. The M7 is IMO the clear winner here.

The Z-R is an apples/oranges comparison. It is nearly as big and heavy as a 42mm Razor. However, IMO they do provide a very nice view. Despite the fact that my wife has many nice binos at her disposal, she prefers the 7x36 ED2 most of all. They are surprisingly sharp in the central area. I like ours a lot, but would not consider it to be in the same class as the smaller 30/32mm binos. I have to head off to work now, but if you want more details on this bino, let me know and I will try to post more later today or tonight.

Thanks. Ive decided Im sticking to what I have seen. So either the M7 or viper
Ill be buying one today

Im opening my options up to some that I haven't seen in person. Im debating on waiting a few weeks till I can afford one of these, or get a more budget conscious model like the Sightron BS 8x32 or Theron Wapiti, prostaff7..etc that I can afford today. And also Pesto suggestion of the Pentax 9x32, which people say pretty much is the sightron but in 9x

Eagle Optics Ranger ED ($320) By the way this seems to have the exact specs as the Viper HD 8x32? I know the golden Eagle HD is the Viper HD but what about this Ranger ED in 8x32?
Zeiss Terra ED ($320)
Maven B3 ($500 will be 100% top of my budget and I will be reluctant to spend that much on something Ive never seen in person but from what I read, this one is the best of them all)
Kowa BD XD ($320)
And the two I have seen and like:
Monarch 7 8x30 ($325 Amazon)..This is the one that I keep telling myself to get
Viper HD 8x32 ($469 demo unit at CLNY) This is the one I want but don't know if its justifiably worth it over the M7,

Last edited:
You already know how my question ended. A Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 ED is on the way and the one I borrowed will go back to its original owner soon.
The most extraordinary feature of them is their size, weight and design. I can grip positively any of the tubes, which give a soft tactile feedback. The Zeiss armor feels smoother but also slippery, without being so. But the Nikon feels like my hand dives into the elastic material and they stick together like a salamander's foot on the wall. At the same time they are light enough to get used with either hand, or both. And they are carried easily. Since I exchanged Papilio with them in my bag, there's no longer a bump there, since they lay flat.
Optically I find my Terra marginally better (my 8x42, I haven't used the 32) with better glare control, more gradual softening towards the edge and much easier eye placement (but the 42 has 5mm exit pupil) while the Nikon has somewhat less residual color, especially at the center and much thinner night spikes. And the Zeiss focuser is fast with less friction and the body is stiffer. But the Terra 32 has a wide bridge that leaves just a short length of wider tubes to grab. I think that since the main purpose of 30mm is portability and less hand fatigue, the Nikon is the clear winner since cost and optical quality are more or less comparable.

Last edited:
I was never impressed by the Monarch much; I found the Viper HD much better in a field scenario - it simply didn't seem particularly sharp to me. Also, Vortex will replace/repair your binos no questions asked. For me, this is worth it, but I often put my binos through tough conditions...

The Zeiss Terra I've tried (not the 8x32) have never impressed me. Decent but not special optics and what feels to be a lower quality build...

Don't know much about the Kowa BD XD, but the Genesis is superb.

Im opening my options up to some that I haven't seen in person. Im debating on waiting a few weeks till I can afford one of these, or get a more budget conscious model like the Sightron BS 8x32 or Theron Wapiti, prostaff7..etc that I can afford today. And also Pesto suggestion of the Pentax 9x32, which people say pretty much is the sightron but in 9x

Eagle Optics Ranger ED ($320) By the way this seems to have the exact specs as the Viper HD 8x32? I know the golden Eagle HD is the Viper HD but what about this Ranger ED in 8x32?
Zeiss Terra ED ($320)
Maven B3 ($500 will be 100% top of my budget and I will be reluctant to spend that much on something Ive never seen in person but from what I read, this one is the best of them all)
Kowa BD XD ($320)
And the two I have seen and like:
Monarch 7 8x30 ($325 Amazon)..This is the one that I keep telling myself to get
Viper HD 8x32 ($469 demo unit at CLNY) This is the one I want but don't know if its justifiably worth it over the M7,

Nothing wrong with going with a budget model, as long as it is one of the few really good ones like the Sightron SII that you mentioned. You could spend half the amount of an M7, and save the rest to put towards an alpha. The Blue Sky provides more performance per dollar than the others you mentioned above.

As for the ones you specified -- no doubt the Ranger ED is a good bino, but it weighs about a quarter-pound more than the M7, and has much less FOV. Those two reasons is why I would not ever consider one. The Viper has a few more feet of FOV, but again weighs approx. 25% more than the M7. If you like your binos to have some weight behind them, then these would make excellent choices.

The Terra has a wide and bright view, but not quite as sharp in the central area as the M7. What I really did not like about it is the focus wheel, which had way too much backlash, and did not turn smoothly. Horrible objective covers too - much worse than the M7's. It does not do anything at all better than the M7.

The Maven seems by all accounts to be an excellent bino. It will be interesting to see if they are still around two or three years from now. Brunton didn't last a long time - hopefully these guys will. I would not spend $500 on a Maven when I could get an M7 for $180 less, or a Conquest HD demo for not too much more. But that's just me.

I can't tell you about the Kowa, other than to tell you that the Kowa optics I have used have all been very good performers for the price.

Personally, I would buy a Leupold Mojave 8x32 before I would buy a Terra or Kowa or ViperHD or Ranger. Excellent optics, wide FOV, and weighs just a few ounces more than the M7. Also, I would buy the Cabela's-branded version before I would buy an SII Blue Sky. I know that many would not want a bino with "Cabela's" on it, but at about $199, it would be a very good buy. Almost as good a buy as a $160 Blue Sky, and a better buy than an M7.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back