• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Canon binocular models? (1 Viewer)

JasH

I recently bought a set of Canon 10x30 IS binoculars, which were so good I sold my old 20x50 (other brand) set as it did not compare.

The Canons are bright, pin sharp and very usable thanks to the IS.

They are so good that I am tempted to buy a set of Canon 18x50 IS binoculars too. BUT.... looking at Amazon it appears these have now been out for almost 10 years.

Knowing the progress in IS systems by Canon, I'd rather have a newer version of IS. So, does anyone know whether the 18x50 model has been internally revised at all recently, or perhaps whether new models are rumoured?

For comparison, the IS system in my 70-200 IS f4 lens is so much better than the one in my 100-400 IS lens. The former being a much newer design/version of course.

I've trawled the web but could find no information :-C

Given IS capability needed for the higher magnification of the 18x50IS compared to the equivalent 12x of a 600mm supertele lens, one could argue the binocular IS system might be more advanced already.

While I don't know of any new binocular IS developments I can say having once owned both the Canon 15x and 18x IS models, I was never 100% as satisfied with the IS view on the 18x as I was with the 15x. The IS seemed to struggle a little more with the 18x than it did with 15x.

If you search some more you will find many reports of stabilization "jitters" in both the 15x and 18x where the image blurs in/out ever so slightly. You get used to it after extended use but it is always there and much more apparent in the 18x. Both are still great for watching at a distance, but their depth of field is really narrow making them less useful for objects under 60m or so distant.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply, and the personal user experience.

Yes, I have read varying reports comparing the 15x and 18x bins. Most, but not all, favour the 15x. I do nevertheless wonder about the age of the IS system, and about new models being imminent.

I certainly hope for a new model in the 15/18x range, as that would decide it for me :)

Typical, Canon announced 3 new lenses yesterday - none of which there was any real demand for (customers wanted an 24-70 IS, but the announced one has no IS). But there was still no new binoculars announcement :(

Tested a wide range of binoculars

I thought anyone else looking may find it useful to read what I decided on.

As I mentioned, I recently bought some Canon 10x30 IS binoculars, which were so good I sold my old 20x50 binoculars, and decided I wanted another better powerful set.

I provisionally decided on the Canon 15x50 or 18x30, but wanted to try a range of binoculars, given the price. I did not want to make a mistake.

I tried a very wide range of binoculars in a department store today, and switched between them frequently, repeatedly trying most of them. These were:

Canon 10x30 IS (so as to have a comparison to my own ones)
Canon 10x42L IS
Canon 15x50 IS
Canon 18x50 IS
Zeiss 20x60

The above were all image stabilised, but the following weren't:
Various Nikon around 15x magnification
Various Leica around 15x magnification
Various Svarovski around 15x magnification

I looked primarily for clarity, sharpness and brightness. My most important test though was to see how small text I could read from one end of the camera department to the other, where a range of text laden packs of headphones were on the wall.

It was noticeable that the Canon 10x42 and most Leica and Svarovski binoculars were easily the brightest, but also that they appeared to have the sharpest and clearest view. These all had excellent glass, and it was immediately apparent. However, these "bright" binoculars were also all relatively low powered 7-10x binoculars.

Going to 15-20x meant that it became hard to read small text, as the binoculars shook too much despite my best efforts to hold them steady. This is where the IS models all came into their own.

I never use a tripod with binoculars, so I tested each hand held.

The result here was that the binoculars best able to read the smallest text were the Canon 18x50 IS model. They could resolve noticeably smaller text that the Canon 15x50 IS model, and were also better than the very significantly more expensive Zeiss 20x60.

The Zeiss 20x60 had better glass than the Canon 18x50 IS, and whilst they would be superior on a tripod, when handheld the Canon's image stabilisation system was greatly superior to the Zeiss system. There was simply no contest.

So, in conclusion, the best binoculars for resolving fine detail at distance, hand held, are quite easily the Canon 18x50 IS. I am buying these :)

JasH, from reading other posts on Canon IS binoculars, it seems the 10x42L IS has the best glass in the range. Could you please give your views on this model as I'm considering buying a pair.

Geoff.

JasH, from reading other posts on Canon IS binoculars, it seems the 10x42L IS has the best glass in the range. Could you please give your views on this model as I'm considering buying a pair.

Geoff.

Geoff,

Yes, it did have noticeably the best glass, and was also the brightest - as you would expect. These were big like the 15x50 and 18x50 though, not relatively compact like the 10x30.

If I could only have one pair, and wanted 10x, these would be ideal so long as the size was not an issue. For me though, 10x30 gives a compact bin, and the 18x50 will give power (at the cost of weight and size).

I think if you want 10x, then you can't do better :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back