• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

question about buying binoculars (1 Viewer)

Jeff Bouton

All,

This will seem a bit of an odd question, but wondering if any would be willing to help settle a dispute between a colleague and I who had differing opinions on the following question:

would you ever consider purchasing a premium/high end optic (binocular or spotting scope) without ever looking through one first?...

Thanks in advance for any who take the time to offer their opinion on the subject. I know I'm right I just like to prove it! ;p

Jeff, I have bought a bunch of Trinovids, Ultravids, SLC, Zeiss and Nikons without seeing the model first. This includes Leica Geosystems stuff in the $30K plus range.

EDIT: Reputation and past experience go along way with me.

Last edited:
would you ever consider purchasing a premium/high end optic (binocular or spotting scope) without ever looking through one first?...

Only if there were some way to return it for a full refund.

I've purchased a premium scope and premium bins within the last several years. In each case I did a fair amount of research and settled on a model that I thought would be the best for my needs before looking through any. And in each case, after I looked through and compared the optics, I wound up buying a different brand and model from my what my "paper" research led me to believe would be best.

Hope this helps,
Jim

As others say I'd do (I have) but I usually buy from a place or a person I can return the bin to.

There are so many properties of a bin that can mesh (or otherwise) with the user despite the paper specs. The specs are perhaps more useful for weeding out products you wouldn't like based on previous experience (for me that's mostly FOV/AFOV).

The advantage of this route is you get to use the bin or scope "in real life" to evaluate it. eagleoptics.com, CameralandNY.com and even some direct suppliers (like Zen Ray) let you do this. Just take care of the optic and return it in the same condition you received it (having a spare bin strap around is essential so you don't unpack the original but save yourself from dropping the bins).

I often find there are three decision points when evaluating bins: on first use (usually a negative one that can't be fixed: "These don't work for me the X is wrong". Feelings of "the best bin ever" are usually not that useful at this point). After a couple of days of use when you actually know how they work in the field (and perhaps have revealed a fatal flaw often in ergonomics). And then usually after a gap (to let "new equipment syndrome" die off) after a week or two the finally "keep or return" evaluation.

In that way buying the bins sight unseen actually gives a better chance at evaluation than trying them out in a store (but you do get the "instant no" feeling out of the way in the store).

Living in Australia I have no choice, there are only two or three shops with any sort of selection of high end binoculars in stock in the whole country.

All,

This will seem a bit of an odd question, but wondering if any would be willing to help settle a dispute between a colleague and I who had differing opinions on the following question:

Thanks in advance for any who take the time to offer their opinion on the subject. I know I'm right I just like to prove it! ;p

Hello Jeff,

Yes, I have bought the following without trying them, not even in a shop:

Leica 8x32 BN, a Demo at a good price.
Zeiss 8x30 ClassiC, purchases as a collectible, as it was an anniversary model.
Foton 7x35, on a friend's recommendation.
Nikon 8x30 EII
Zen-Ray 7x36, purchased, at a pre-release price. This binocular was a less than happy choice, until Zen corrected its faults.
Fujinon 7x50, returned by post, the next day for a refund.
Nikon 8x32 SE, my absolutely most unhappy choice in a binocular, in spite of its sterling reputation. I found it to be an unfriendly binocular.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :scribe:

Hi Jeff,
I've bought lots of hi end optics new or even used on Ebay, which is surely the high risk section of the market, as there is no return generally.
Most items were fine, miscollimation was the major flaw for vintage porros, maybe 20-30%. A cost of the hobby.
Life is too short to try out everything beforehand.

If you're buying any of the alpha models sight unseen, the only issue would be the wife finding out what you paid for them . . .

All,

Hi Jeff,

I would never do that; I like to try one out first, several times even over a period of months, before I decide to buy or not.
Now I know I'm lucky living in a country with plentiful opportunities and optics shops galore within short reach. So a reasonable decision can be made, eventually.
I think Kevin P. is right in saying that buying from a shop with a good return policy is even better, and I intend to do so if I think I'll need another alpha bin. To be able to try one out in real field circumstances for a couple of weeks, than return them if they're not to my liking, and get a refund or try another, that would be great. But I keep on travelling to the store to lay my hands around the bins first, and I do not intend to buy sight unseen over the internet. That spoils half the fun...

Best regards,

Ronald

'Bout 7 or 8 months ago I bought a Zeiss 7x42 BGATP, well used, sight unseen online from a private individual, based on reputation and aesthetics of the company and the particular model. Probably the best purchase of my life.:t:

yes-I bought a demo Leica 10+15x50 once from Cameraland NY

seeing one in person was not possible, so either the gamble or do without

I am happy with the binoculars,
edj

Bought lots of optics before testing it, but only after getting recommendations from users here on BF, never been disappointed so far.

I think if u buy from any of the reputable online dealers (Adorama, EO, Optics4Birding, etc.) and ctc them b4 ordering and stipulate you may want to return after audition, you shouldn't have any problems. Also, eBay can be a good source if you buy from one of the established sellers. Email w/?'s before bidding.

Eagle Optics. ;)

I have returned at least one pair for every one bought, sometimes two. Every once in a while I will find a price elsewhere that I have gone for, but mostly you have just a week to test and return.

bought my EL in store. I was impressed so much and I wanted to get it right at that moment. The ZEN ED and ED2 binoculars were bought online from zen-ray after reading the good reviews. I am glad I did that. Always check the return policy. need minimal 15 days considering the delivery time. I don't want to be hammered with some restocking fees.

I bought both of my Nikon SEs, an 8x32 and a 10x42, sight unseen via ebay and Adorama. I was lucky in that they both worked with my eyes. A lot of people have black out issues with them but I didn't. I love both of them. I took that leap based on their reputation here, and the fact the price was right.

John

ps, who won the bet?

Jeff
The answer is yes, from my experience anyway. Another possible answer is: they only try the ones where the marketing message has worked. In other words, we want to buy a high end binocular, but only if it is xxxx.
and another answer could be: they buy it before testing and then try it? The buyer has already convinced themselves that product xxxx is the one they want, even without trying one before and they are already convinced that it is the one they want, mind over matter?

mak

All,

So, who won the argument?

All,

I would only buy a pair of binoculars remotely if I could return them. The price is irrelevant to determining whether the binoculars work.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back