• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monocular advice (1 Viewer)

gweller

Hello all

I´d like some advice re monoculars. I want something small enough to slip in a pouch, (so that rules out instruments like the Zen-Ray 8x42 mono etc) with the idea being that it is always to hand when I´m out and about on walking or photography trips etc, and don't have my bins or telescope with me. The obvious choice seems to be the Leica 8x20 Monovid, but it's a bit pricey for a something that won´t be used that regularly.

My second choice was the Zeiss 8x20 T* monocular. It´s quite a bit cheaper, but I´ve read some mixed reviews and so have been put off a bit from buying it. Some people reckon its great while others don´t rate it so highly. Does anyone here have one, and if so what is it like? Or does anyone have any other alternatives I should consider?

Thanks!
Gary

I just sold a very nice and sharp older Bushnell 8x20 minocular. After messing around with it for a couple of weeks, I decided that the view from my 7x26 Customs or 8x25 Olympus Tracker PCI was so much better. The real point was that I can wear either one on my belt or tuck them into a small fanny pack or pocket, and whether I took the binos or monocular, I still had to remember to take it! The monocular was more like a really cool toy. but in reality it was not very practical. While it was tack sharp, the novelty wore off quick, as using one was not very satisfying to me.

But to each their own.

tom

Hi Tom

Yes, I understand what you mean about having to remember to take it with you. Actually that is less of a problem for me. I use a wheelchair and have a small pouch fixed on the side of it big enough from my mobile phone, and a small monocular. My idea was to leave the monocular in it all the time, and hence not have to worry about leaving home without it.

I´ve also considered a small pair of bins, but even my wifes 8x20 Trinovid folded up is a tight fit in the pouch, thus the search for a decent monocular.

Gary

I really like my Opticron 6x16, however, it really surprising how much more detail you can see with a bino of a similar optical quality, like my Pentax Papilios 6,5x20. This is due to the lower stability of monoculars.

The big benefit is the portability of course.

Another thing: last year I decided to upgrade to the Zeiss 6x18 monocular, but after side by side comparison I was quite happy with my Opticron. Could not see more detail with the Zeiss. Opticron: substantially wider field of view and a third of the price. Also smaller size and better handling. The latter since you can adjust focus while in a stable grip. With the Zeiss you have to chang grip to adjust focus.
Wolf

Hi gweller,
The little Leica 8x20s are excellent go anywhere binoculars. Apparently the current Ultravid version is materially improved from the Trinovid predecessor in terms of eye relief and ease of use, for a suitable fee of course.
A Zeiss 8x20 monocular is a wonderfully compact personal glass. It even comes along on my morning runs here in NYC Central Park, as one never can tell what will turn up. A real binocular would be too big, at least imo.
You can find the Zeiss on Ebay for about $200, less for the earlier non glasses friendly version which is even more compact. Do note there is also a 10x25 version, but it is much bigger.

Hi gweller,
The little Leica 8x20s are excellent go anywhere binoculars. Apparently the current Ultravid version is materially improved from the Trinovid predecessor in terms of eye relief and ease of use, for a suitable fee of course.
A Zeiss 8x20 monocular is a wonderfully compact personal glass. It even comes along on my morning runs here in NYC Central Park, as one never can tell what will turn up. A real binocular would be too big, at least imo.
You can find the Zeiss on Ebay for about $200, less for the earlier non glasses friendly version which is even more compact. Do note there is also a 10x25 version, but it is much bigger.

I must admit I´m leaning more and more towards the Leica Monovid, even thought it is more expensive than the Zeiss. And yes, that´s my purpose as well- to have something with me all the time for those occasions when you see something unexpected.

Hi Gary, Is there room to mount a bigger pouch?

Hi Steve

Yes and No ;) It´s actually a Lowepro compact camera pouch, so I could fit a slightly bigger one of course, but probably not one big enough to take a pair of 8x20 bins without having to fold them up. And that I was trying to avoid if possible as I know, from past experience, that small bins are pretty critical re IPD and fiddly to get just right. Before you get them sorted the bird has flown, both literally and figuratively speaking!

Cheers
Gary

I'm a convert to the merits of a monocular, with caveats. Low mag and small size rule the day.

The Nikon HG5x15 (at 40% the price of the Leica) should be considered IMO. Here's three threads you may have missed that are relevant:

Hi Kevin

The Nikon 5x15 seems a little low powered to me, and the 7x15 I think will have such a small exit pupil diameter that it will be only useful in really good light. Hopefully I can stretch my budget to the Leica Monovid, otherwise I think I will get the Zeiss 8x20

Cheers!
Gary

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back