• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greetings, and the obligatory "Which one...?" (1 Viewer)

Sancho, the 10x35s are in stock on Amazon UK! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-7411-10X35-Eii-Binocular/dp/B0000BVE2J I could have them delivered here tomorrow for free. (A lot of me wishes that wasn't true) How do you find they compare? Are they much heavier? Is the FoV noticeably narrower? This may be my way of having an insurance pair but not an unnecessary duplicate.

Graham
Hi graham, my tuppence-ha´penny is...get the 10x35 EII while you can. Can the Bino-Santy help out there? They´re my favourite 10x bin (and I´ve owned Swaro EL 10x42!). They are far more comfortable in my hands than the 8x30EII, the FOV is huge for a 10x (when I first tried them on delivery, I was convinced there was some mistake...I thought they´d sent me an 8x bin in error because of the wide FOV!). I love the extra punch of magnification (I started off a dedicated 10x fan, and moved onto 8x, probably persuaded by Tero...;)), and I found them sharper than any roofs with which I´ve compared them. Like Henry, I don´t notice any weight difference. I took them out last weekend and thought "What the hell do I need new EL/HD´s or EDG´s for when I have these?". (I hope I still think that when the new top-alphas finally come out). Best Wishes!

Teamgs: congrats on your purchase, I hope you´re delighted with them and get many years superb use from them!

Last edited:
That was a bit unkind.

[...]

I made the statement simply to point out the mid-level technology used in the 820, Raptor, and similar products, nothing more. They are a far cry from the quality of the SE, or the Swift 804 series that preceded them.

Ed

No unkindness was meant but my point was responding to your original comment (which doesn't covbey the sentiment made in your follow up):

Under the skin, the Swift 820 is essentially the same product as the 8x42 Eagle Optics Raptor.

Actually the skin is the same. The optics are different. And it's the optics that give the optical quality. So just by looking you can't tell. And that was my point.

It turns out that they're made in the same factory but that again doesn't mean much (apart from the quality of construction).

I do agree though that the Raptors/Foresta are very good mid-range bins.

I also forgot that I had a 10% Ebay coupon, so the price was actually less than $400 for the bins. :D

Thay have been shipped this morning.

Gary

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back