• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Tale of Three Monoculars - Zen-ray; Vortex; Nikon (1 Viewer)

Hest88

Hi everyone. I started lurking here a few months ago specifically around monoculars for watching birds. Due to strabismus, which childhood surgery only corrected aesthetically, I basically have monocular vision. My husband suggested that instead of trying to use binoculars I try a monocular--which, other than a classic pirate's scope, and I didn't even know they had!

So, I was plunged into a new world of research, both in binoculars to get a good grounding in the optics, and then what kinds of monoculars were available. I had a few main criteria:

1) ~$100. Since my birding is rather casual, I was reluctant to spend big bucks on a Zeiss or Leica Monovid. However, I wanted something with good optics so I didn't want to risk buying a super-cheap one either.

2) It had to be small enough for me to stick in my purse, so I could always have it with me if I chose

3) 8X magnification, which seemed to be the largest most ppl recommended for birding. (Yes, I know the opinions vary widely, but figured this was safe.)

4) Decent eye relief, since I wear glasses

In the end, I found myself with not one monocular, but three. (Yes, I might as well have splurged on that Leica!) I am now the proud owner of a Vortex Solo 8x36, a Zen-Ray ZRS HD-M 8x42, and the Nikon 5x15 HG.

I know monoculars aren't hot items, but since these forums helped me so much I thought I'd post some impressions for anyone else traveling down the same path, plus links to selected photos.

Vortex Solo

First I "settled" on the Vortex. It advertises an eye relief of 18mm, exit pupil 4.5mm, FOV 393 feet/1000 yards (7.5 degrees), close focus 16.4 feet. It is 4.9 inches long and weighs 9.7 oz. It doesn't come with a lens cap, but does come with an utterly useless holster that is open on two sides. It also has an integrated belt clip that I unscrewed and removed, after reading a review from someone who had done so. Supposedly it has one of those complete lifetime warranties that covers the fumble-finger factor. Hopefully I'll never have to use it. And, retailing at about $100, it was well-priced too.

Pros: It does indeed give a bright and crisp picture, so it passes the main criteria. Ergonomically it's pretty sweet too. The design of the housing allows my hand to curve neatly and comfortably around it, and the focus wheel right in right of the eyepiece is easy to turn. The housing also feels rugged--like I really could drop it from an airplane and have it survive--so I don't feel like I have to baby it.
Cons: Since I'm a bit of a girly-girl, I find the army-green ridged housing too military; too ugly. Yeah, I know it shouldn't matter but...it bothered me. Also, although I may rarely use it for anything other than birds, I had a slight hankering for something with a better close focus.

Zen-Ray

After all of my research I somehow missed the Zen-Ray until after I placed the order for the Vortex. That was also because I managed to find every site under the sun except for this one. After hemming and hawing, my husband told me to just buy this one too. That way we could each have a monocular if we were both out together.

It is sized at 5.5x2 and weighs 10 oz. FOV: 393ft/1000yards. Eye relief: 17.3mm. Close focus: 6 ft. It comes with lens caps for the front and back (the cap for the eyepiece stays on pretty well, but the "tethered" lens cap for the objective lens falls off easily; don't be surprised if I lose it). Lifetime warranty, but only against defects. So don't go dropping this baby. And it's just slightly more expensive than the Vortex, but not so much more than it should make a difference in one's decision.

Pros: With a sleek, tubular matte black body, it is much prettier than the Vortex. Much. Picture is sharp, and the larger lens lets in significantly more light than my Vortex as the sun wanes. And, yes, the close focus is much better too.

Cons: The cylindrical housing isn't as ergonomic as the Vortex. It's also a bit slippery, and the "classier" metallic feel of the body actually makes me want to baby it more since it feels more fragile. The placement of the focus wheel, about halfway down the housing, is more awkward to turn than the Vortex, and you definitely couldn't do it with one hand, which I sometimes can manage with the Vortex. But here's the weirdest con, which I partly think has *got* to be illusory. Last week I was switching between the Vortex and the Zen-Ray while looking at the same scene. I would swear that even though they are both 8X, the Vortex seemed to magnify better. The shorebirds I was looking at seemed larger, no matter how many times I swapped the two monoculars. It was rather weird.

Nikon

The advantages of the teeny, sweet Nikon are obvious. After trying my darndest, it was just too much to carry either the Vortex or the Zen in my purse at all times. The Nikon had great reviews, and what I was sacrificing in magnification I was gaining in portability. *This* monocular would add almost no weight to my purse, was sometihng I could tuck into the pocket of my jeans, and hide pretty well in my hand if I wanted to. It comes with a pleather pouch that fits it perfectly and a lens cap...that falls off every time I take the monocular out of the pouch. It's also twice as much as the Vortex or Zen.

Size: 2.8x1.2. Weight 2.6 oz. FOV: 472. Eye Relief: 15.8. Close focus: 2ft

So, my conclusion? If you want the most ergonomic one, go with the Vortex. If close focus and/or birding in somewhat lower light is a factor, the Zen-Ray. I would only go for the Nikon if ultra portability is the most important factor, but, as I found, sometimes that's not an insignificant issue.

Here's also an attached photo of them all together, with a beer can for further comparison.

Attachments

• AllMonoculars.jpg
    AllMonoculars.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 1,843
Thanks for the review. Even though I have almost perfect binocular vision monoculars are of interest: Perhaps a 10x, 12x or 15x as a high power backup when you're not in the mood for carrying a scope; or something like the 5x15 when you need some small optics to fit the pocket of your trousers.

Very nice review. The "Pros vs cons" layout was exceptionally helpful as I think you covered every area quite nicely.

So you are keeping all three?

Which one do you find yourself grabbing more often than not?

Thank you for this analytical and well written review of instruments that we don't hear much of here.

It is refreshing that "the view" is not microscopically dissected, as we tend to do here, going to great lengths over brightness, color fringing, edge correction, contrast, scattered light sensitivity, on and on an on we go. Must be a guy thing. For you, good enough optically is good, and usability is paramount. I can appreciate that. These things must be lived with to be enjoyed.

My wife carries the hugest, heaviest purse! I am always borrowing her big Swiss Army Knife, and other stuff. When we are out I at least sometimes carry the bag for her. But more often, I offer to stick her wallet in my spare back pocket, insisting that that's all she needs. I carry a rather large macho and military-looking binocular that you would hate, myself, but I can understand a woman's counting grams, when increasing such a load.

And finally, it is great to hear that people with vision issues like yours are not deterred from appreciating birds, and optical devices. The high quality and good sized roof prism monocular seems to be a rather recent invention.
Ron

Last edited:
Thanks for those mini-reviews and photos. Your hand and the soda can gives us an idea of scale. Those Nikons are really tiny. Since Minox is known for its miniaturization, I thought I'd check to see what they came up with in a monocular and found it has a rectangular shape (there's also a 6x16 version).

http://www.amazon.com/Minox-62201-MD-8x16-Monocular/dp/B0000BZM43

One thing I would have trouble with is the weight on all these monoculars. The same is true for most compact roofs. I need a certain amount of weight to stabilize the view. If for some reason, I should ever need to use a monocular, I'd probably end up taking apart a porro binocular and using the side with the diopter adjustment as my "monocular".

I'm curious about why binoculars didn't work for you. I know you don't have stereoscopic vision, but does it bother you to use binoculars or was it the weight/size requirements that made you chose monoculars?

The reason I ask is that even w/out sterovision, you still gain about 40% contrast by using two eyes. Also, from my limited experience with monoculars, I find it's easier to stabilize binoculars with two hands than a monocular with one hand.

And there are so many more choices in binoculars including compacts, most of which would probably fit in your purse (depending on how big it is and how much cosmetics you carry :).

My mom used to carry so much stuff in her handbag that I used to joke that she should go on "Let's Make a Deal" since whatever Monty was looking for was probably in her bag!

I'm glad you found optics that fit your requirements and that you are able to enjoy birdwatching.

Brock

I'm glad the reviews were helpful to some of you.

FrankD, I am keeping all three. The Nikon lives permanently in my purse. The Vortex sits by the window at home for impromptu sightings. When my husband and I are out walking he takes the Vortex and I take the Zen-Ray. I have to say, though, if all three were similarly accessible and I had to grab one it would be the Vortex. It just has the best balance of comfort and usability for me.

Ronh, yeah, my purse is heavy too. Hey, you never know what a gal might need! I don't understand how guys get away with just a wallet and keys. ;)

Brock, one of the accomodations my eyesight has developed is that my strong eye automatically "clicks in" when I'm looking farther away and my bad eye automatically focuses when I'm looking at something close up. As a result, because I'm really only using one eye really at any one time, I've found it hard focusing when using binoculars. It might be just a matter of practice, though!

I had the same question Brock had. I wondered if you had ever tried capping the Objective Tube of the binocular on your bad eye and just looking out through the the other tube with your good eye. I once saw someone doing something like that with a large and expensive Swarovski at Cape May. She was holding the binocular vertically with both hands and looking through it with one eye as if it was a telescope. It might have been a 12 x 50.

Bob

She was holding the binocular vertically with both hands and looking through it with one eye as if it was a telescope.
*That* is a very interesting solution. No, I haven't tried capping one side (or holding binoculars vertically) but I'm going to have to try it sometime!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back