• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Cadiz Province (1 Viewer)

I do hope my suggestion of a donation to a relevant charity hasn't put people off - I can hardly check can I? My offer has had a much lower response than before - only one person has requested a copy. They're not that bad honest!

John's extensive notes are essential reading for any birdwatcher who has an interest in this region. John's previous notes have filled many a winters night and makes for great reading.

The work that has gone into these notes will have taken many hundreds of hours and a donation is a small ask for such a wonderful gesture.

Thanks John.

Last edited:
John's extensive notes are essential reading for any birdwatcher who has an interest in this region. John's previous notes have filled many a winters night and makes for great reading.

The work that has gone into these notes will have taken John many hundreds of hours and a donation is a small ask for such a wonderful gesture.

Thanks John.

I second the above! So rare these days for someone to disinterestedly produce such a volume of quality information!

Definitely worthy of converting into a top-selling guide!

Well done John!

I can't imagine a donation is stopping people, but does everyone know about it ?
Maybe an entry in the Spain forum would help ? (if there is one, excuse me, but I couldn't see it).

Thank you gentlemen - I'm blushing. I was perhaps too quick to draw a pessimistic conclusion as several people have now asked for a copy,

Just been reading through the copy that John has so kindly sent me, its full of useful information & maps, must have taken ages to put together, but i'd recommend it to anyone who's seriously looking at travelling to the area.

Agree with the suggestion about putting this link on the Spain forum, as i think its possibly being missed by many who would be interested.

Cabo de Trafalgar
Cabo de Trafalgar doesn't project that far into the sea and is no great height, but situated on a 'corner' (see map) it can be good for seabirds and visible migration. Having failed so miserably to see Cory’s Shearwater or Audouin’s Gull here on my first ever visit to Spain in the late 1960s I was keen to try again when I first returned there a few years ago. Hence I was very pleased to find a large flock of gulls loafing in the shallow sandy, tidal pools beside the tombola linking the rocky cape to the mainland. A quick scan with the binoculars quickly revealed a small number of remarkably handsome Audouin’s. Whilst I hadn’t been too worried about ID issues, I was surprised by how striking the adults were with bold yellow-tipped, black banded dark scarlet bills, pale grey backs and delicate pale ashy underparts. The juveniles were less distinctive, but clearly duskier than similar species. Since then, except when they are dry or too disturbed by tourists, I have found these pools a good place to see the species. There’s usually a supporting cast of Mediterranean Gulls, Kentish Plover, Sanderling and whatever waders might be passing.

Unfortunately, I’ve not often visited the area in late September/October, but when I have I have witnessed the most extraordinary ‘visible migration’. ‘Vis. mig.-ing’ is not something I’ve always enjoyed in the UK. A good session, as often as not, means it’s windy, chilly or both and birds often fly over fast and high. Hence a good knowledge of calls is often being vital for accurate ID. In Spain birds can still go over at height and calls can mystify even more, but at least it’s often warm and dry. Standing by the lighthouse as wave after wave of larks, finches, pipits & finches pass overhead is an extraordinary experience. It can also be somewhat surprising one as seeing birds like Chaffinches and Siskins passing over isn’t the expected Mediterranean experience. Hirundines frequently not so much ‘pass over’ as skirt round you with more familiar fare being supplemented by Red-rumped Swallows and Crag Martins – many at arm’s length. Whilst not an ideal place to look for raptor migration even the dullest ‘seawatch’ here can be enlivened by the arrival of wind blown Black or White Storks, Lesser Kestrels, harriers or eagles. (Departing broad winged birds are more circumspect about leaving Europe here).

Seawatching, arguably, has the most potential for the unexpected. Trafalgar is a somewhat blunt projection into the Bay of Cadiz, but a less public one than offered by Cadiz itself or Chipiona to the north. Watching from a car off Conil, where there are plenty of places to pull off or even grab a coffee, may be more sheltered and convenient, but the lack height and that extra ‘projection may make some difference. Like Audouin’s, I caught up with Cory’s Shearwater here the first time I revisited the site. So since then it’s to Trafalgar that I’ve most often gone for seabirds despite the lack of shelter. Gannets, Balearic and Cory’s Shearwaters are regular. It may require a sharper eye than mine to pick out Yelkouan Shearwater; I've tried but ll the birds I've seen well have clearly been Balearics. Spotting a Scopoli’s Shearwater, though, may require access to a small boat and SLR camera! Great Skua are also regular, but with ‘southern’ members of this complex being found off Senegal and elsewhere this is another area where a boat trip, supported by digital photography, may be needed. Arctic Skua (which I’ve seen) and presumably Pomerine Skua (which I’ve not) are probably regular here. Given that ‘seawatching’ doesn’t seem a popular branch of birding in Spain and some of the more surprising revelations made by its popularity in the UK, I wonder what surprises may be in store if an enterprising team watched Trafalgar in ideal conditions (and what are they?). The recent discovery of small numbers of Wilson’s Petrel in the Straits of Gibraltar in late summer may suggest they could be seen here in strong westerly gales. I may be hopelesslu optimistic, but I suspect that even Bulwer’s Petrel or Little Shearwater can’t be discounted as outside possibilities in the right circumstances.

Beyond Canos de Mecca towards Barbate stand the pinewoods of La Brena. Birdlife in these woods is a little sparse (though good for Serin, Short-toed Treecreeper, etc) and, in season, migrants. However, in early spring (February onwards) the woods may have huge numbers of orchids – mainly (perhaps exclusively) Ophrys or ‘bee orchids’. To be honest I know little about orchids so my identification may be awry with some. I’m confident that many are Mirror Orchids and that some, far fewer in number, are Sombre Bee Orchids. The remainder more closely resemble ‘our’ Bee Orchid in the UK, and some indeed may be that species, but I’ve tentatively identified them as Sawfly Orchid. Sadly the nearby cliffs are no longer home to cliff nesting egrets.

Yet Cabo de Trafalgar doesn’t always offer some sort of birding idyll. The conditions that create the best vis. mig. also attracts half a dozen or more bird trappers to the scrub to the north. Meanwhile the local authorities seem bent on doing their utmost to discourage visitors. It was once possible to drive up to the small roundabout (see map) to park within a few hundred metres of the lighthouse. For a while, after this was stopped, it remained possible to park off the road just after the turning off the A2233. However, wooden bollards have now mushroomed up here and parking is now limited to parking private parking serving several small restaurants. Worse, parking off the pull off the A2233 itself now seems discouraged so you might be faced with a trek of a kilometre or more to get to the headland. Quite why the local police are so keen to stop parking here I’m unsure. However, I suspect that it might be something to do with a conflict between those who want the area’s ‘hippy’ image to continue and those who want to develop a couple of large hotels in the area and drive the place up market.

As usual a more long winded version of this account with a few more potos can be seen on my blog,

Attachments

• Trafalgar 1.png
    Trafalgar 1.png
    35.7 KB · Views: 59
  • Alcala - Oct '05 032 - Copy.jpg
    Alcala - Oct '05 032 - Copy.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 50
Ger Molenaar

I had a message via my blog from Ger Molenaar (from Holland) requesting my notes. Unfortunately my email to him keeps bouncing (and I've tried half-a-dozen times). So if on the off chance you're reading, Ger, this can you send me a PM? Equally, if you know him (a remote chance I realise) can you let him know I'm trying to contact him?

Molinos valley

The small village of Alcalá de los Gazules sits high on a small hill above the A381 behind which looms the wooded hills and crags of the Alcornocales. As the A 2304 skirts round the village a minor road (CA 6201) strikes off to the east. This takes you down the Molinos valley to the small hamlet, and that’s a generous use of the word, of Patrite which forms a lose cluster of houses at the valley. A plan, during the earlier years Franco’s dictatorship, to push the road all the way to Jimena (c17km through the park) was mercifully abandoned thus preserving the wild landscape. This was a mercy not just for the landscape, but also for those earmarked to build it as, like many roads of that era, it was to be built by forced labour using Republican prisoners. Although close by the village, a lip at the start of the valley means that once you’re a few hundred metres along it you can see scarcely any signs of civilization lending the place a surprisingly isolated feel.

The start of the valley is often a good spot to look out for Black-eared Wheatear as a pair usually breeds here. The road quickly drops down into the valley which then opens out as the road heads, arrow straight, towards Patrite. The telegraph wires here frequently provide a place for passing Bee-eaters to rest and for hunting Woodchat Shrike to use as a vantage point. In winter Woodchats may be replaced by Iberian Grey Shrike. About 3km along the road there’s a rough track, to your left, also bordered by telegraph wires which again provide perches for passing birds. With virtually no traffic, this is a better place to stop and look than the main road (although its hardly very busy). This is another site for breeding Black-eared Wheatear whilst I’ve also had passing Tawny Pipits and Great-spotted Cuckoos here. The whole valley seems to funnel migrants with Black and White Storks regularly passing over in good numbers and rarities like Rock Sparrow occasionally turning up. After just over a kilometre the track is closed off by gates and apparently private, but it’s worth exploring to this point as the stream, now shaded by trees, may attract small birds.

As with anywhere in Spain, the skies should be regularly scanned for raptors, but with a large roost of vultures further up the valley it’s not unusual to see a good sized flock of Griffon Vultures here although seeing them drop to the ground requires rather more luck. In late spring the birds often move out of roost at c10:00 AM.

Any soaring flock should be checked carefully as Egyptian Vultures are regular enough to suggest that they might well breed not too far away. Booted and Short-toed Eagles too are frequently to be found here. Keeping you eyes closer to the ground shouldn’t be neglected either as the small stream lined with bushes that passes under the road near the campsite often attracts smaller birds; Melodious and Sardinian Warblers, Goldfinch and Serin. Look carefully at the latter during winter and on passage as Siskin also occur. The campsite makes a pleasant place to stay and has a resident Barn Owl. Little Owls are common and it’s hard to believe that the surrounding hills don’t harbour Eagle Owl. I’ve looked for them without luck, but have seen them in what appears less favourable habitat along the A381 near the village.

At the far end of the road it degenerates into a rough track and finally a gated footpath (sendero) which takes you c1.5 km into the hills and to the last of several ruined molinos (water mills). After the Llanos de Libar (Grazalema) this walk is the one that most impresses my visitors. Following rain the rocky crags here often host Griffons which strike an impressive heraldic pose with wings open as the dry off in the sun. Fittingly, the rocks here may also have Blue Rock Thrush. Crested Lark has been the default lark thus far, but look carefully as I’ve had Thekla in rockier fields near the footpath (although they’re more frequent much further along the path). This, and other open areas, may also have Cirl Bunting. After skirting the crags on your left, the path climbs as it cuts diagonally across a thistle rich pasture towards the hills. As it snakes along the flank of the hill the path seems to reach a dead end, but continue onwards and where you seem to reach a blank rock wall the path suddenly takes a dogleg left and then right. This is a bit of a scramble but easily negotiable with care. Here the path squeezes between jutting vertical rock strata to plunge back into what seems like a hidden valley. Although you may have had them already, the light woodland here is particularly good for various small passerines. Long-tailed Tits here are of the southern race A. c. irbii – named after the pioneering British ornithologist of the area, Lt-Colonel Irby. Firecrest are common as are both Bonelli’s Warbler and Iberian Chiffchaff. The latter has a song so distinct from the more familiar chiff-chaff-chiff-chaff of northern birds that it’s a surprise that the species so long languished as a ‘mere’ subspecies. A slightly drunken shief shief shief shief wee-wee-wee-wee-wee sweet sweet sweet it has a different cadence and a slightly Willow Warbler like trill.

As you continue scan the distant (and not so distant) crags for roosting Griffons although you have as good a chance of seeing birds drifting low to see what you’re about. It’s not unusual to see 200-300 birds although upwards of 600 birds are possible. Check them very carefully as Spain’s second Ruppell’s Vulture occurred within the ‘parish’ making this as good a site as anywhere to look for this elusive visitor. Look out too for Spanish Ibex. Peregrines breed in the vicinity and, although rarer, Bonelli’s Eagle are regular. With Lesser Kestrels dominating in Alcala itself, these crags more often have Common Kestrel. Finally you reach, after a pleasant walk, a ruined mill which makes a great picnicking spot. Technically, an old drover’s road continues all the way to Jimena (c15km) but a gate here marks the end of this sendero. You can continue over the stream and up towards the distant ‘forest road’ (Carrel Picacho-Piguera) just visible through the trees. The upper slopes here have Thekla Lark and are an even better viewpoint to search for raptors.

Attachments

• Molinos detail.png
    Molinos detail.png
    48.8 KB · Views: 33
Another low key jaunt out to Spain, but one that will hopefully give some idea of what's possible on a trip not 100% dedicated to birding this fabulous area. I will post some photos anon and will follow up with a more detailed account on my blog.

Alacala de los Gazules 14th April - 2nd May 2012
Sat. 14th April 2012
Our annual spring jaunt to SW Spain started on Saturday 14th April with our arrival in the late afternoon at Gibraltar. A potter round La Linea and Gibraltar was largely occupied with dodging showers. Hence birds were rather few in number and variety - Gannet - a couple of small groups of which processed along the beach at La Linea with numerous Yellow-legged Gull. On Gib. I had Collared Doves, a single swift sp. and a handful of Blackbirds.

Sun 15th April 2012
Today we journied up to the village from La Linea (via Algeciras) by bus so again birding was limited. Being driven through the Alcornocales was, for me, a novel experience, but I was soon able to improve my meagre haul of bird species adding White Stork, Griffon Vultures and a single, albeit distant, Booted Eagle. It was soon apparent that a couple of women in front of us on the bus were taking equal interest in the birds that appeared by the roadside. As chance would have it they both got off in Alcala so I couldn't resist speaking to them (naturally, being Dutch, they spoke good English). It transpired that they were with a small party of naturalists from a Dutch club (KNNV) who were camping in the Molinos valley for the next two weeks. So, after a couple of long days, we dragged our cases up to the top of the village and reached our cottage. Naturally, we were soon welcomed by Lesser Kestrels whose antics, as always, delighted us both. In gusting winds they dipped, dived, banked, circled, breaked, twisted and turned seemingly for the sheer joy of being able to do so! They were as skittish as infants in the playground and at least 30 kids were out playing. A dozen (and probably many more) Griffons cruised down the valley and far off toward Medina half-a-dozen Black Kites spiralled into roost. A single, typically camera shy, Spotless Starling perched for a moment nearby – it was good to be back!

Mon 16th April 2012
As usual I was up on the terrace looking at the cavorting Lesser Kestrels first thing in the morning. Distant Nightingales were singing, the odd Spotless Starling flew back and forth, but there was little else to distract. So we soon found ourselves down in the village waiting for the 10:00 bus to Jerez which, as so often, arrived 20 minutes late. This must take some effort as the journey is scheduled to take only 30 minutes, but more remarkable is the fact that we arrived in Jerez on time at 11:00 despite not having another stop! En route I saw a couple of dozen Black Kite and 3 or 4 Griffons. After pottering round Jerez for a couple of hours, we caught the train to the newly opened Estacion Aeropuerto – one of only a handful that stop there (despite all the Seville trains passing through).

Our car was a little Fiat Panda – a reasonable option for the two of us, but one with rather sloppy steering and poor cornering. So it was off to get some groceries and then a detour to Laguna de Medina where the water was quite high and the birding fairly lacklustre. The expected grebes – Black-necked, Little and Great-crested – were there but in small numbers. Swifts and hirundines were surprisingly scarce and, other than a modest number of than gulls, there were few birds out on the water with only 7-8 Common Pochard representing wildfowl. Blackcap, Sardinian & Cetti's Warbler sang but were elusive. A single Purple Gallinule sat in the reeds and the few Coots all seemed to be of the common persuasion. I did manage to show a visiting Canadian birder his first Fan-tailed Warbler and correct his ID of Corn Bunting (not a Lesser Short-toed Lark!).

Back in the village we had a quick meal before nipping out to meet up with the Dutch naturalists we'd heard about yesterday at the campsite in the Molinos valley. En route aloing the valley two Wheatears turned out to be just that! They were most welcoming and friendly bunch all of whom spoke good English. As we chatted several flocks of Bee-eaters (80+), a few Serins, a couple of Red-rumped Swallow, groups of Common and a single Alpine Swift came over the campsite. It was agreed that Liz and I would meet up with them tomorrow.

Tues 17th April 2012
Having agreed with our new found Dutch friends to join them today for some birding, we drove down th the Molinos valley to meet them at 9:00 AM. Their plan was to head off to Barbate, La Brena, Trafalgar and then look for Little Bustard on the way back to Alcala in the afternoon, but I persuaded them to prioritise looking for bustards. Since we were in a convoy of five cars I thought it prudent to avoid the track from Benalup bridge as it now has a 'No Entry to unauthorised vehicles' sign (albeit a much ignored one!) Hence we drove in to the site via the 'Eagle' venta track. To my great delight I quickly found a distant calling single male Little Bustard and shortly thereafter a second, much closer bird, was located. Both gave excellent if distant views. The group were delighted to see the bird – something they hadn't really expected and I was hugely relieved that the birds obliged. A male Montagu's Harrier skirmished its way across the field and a Stone-curlew called – all in all a great detour which justified my insistence that we look here first. En route to Barbate we stopped off to see the reintroduced Bald Ibis near Vejer seeing at least 5 birds.

Now it was my turn to be taken to somewhere I'd not explored – the upper part of the Barbate marshes along the sendero Marisma Alta. For anyone but birders for a path to start tucked away behind the local sewage farm would be a bad omen, but the little marsh here was a little gem and one I am sure to visit again. The interconnected pools and wet pasture here held a delightful mix of birds – a job lot of Black-winged Stilt, Dunlin, Redshank, a Green Sandpiper, two or three Wood Sandpiper, a Whimbrel, a dozen or more Glossy Ibis, a couple of Purple Gallinule and Yellow Wagtail. We then explored the pinewoods west of Barbate which gave the botanists in the party much to look at, but provided slim pickings for birders. It was here that we split up from our Dutch friends and headed off home via Barbate reservoir.

Wednes 18th April 2012
A dull, cloudy, and soon to be wet, start to the day didn't encourage birding so we had a late start before walking down into the village to do some much needed shopping. By lunch time things were looking brighter so I managed a little birding from the terrace. Lesser Kestrel – 10-12 at a time - were in almost constantly in sight (and sound!) with perhaps half a dozen Griffons knocking around and at least 3 Booted Eagles. Three very distant raptors had a whiff of Honey Buzzard about them but were too far off to clinch a confident ID. Similarly a tiny and very distant speck was probably a Short-toed Eagle – a species, it turned out, that I would struggle to see from the terrace. Although I twice heard them, I didn't actually see any Bee-eaters whilst most swift were far too distant to be identified to species and those that were closer were all Common Swift. With rain forecast again tomorrow, the weather looked set to spoil my plans for some relaxed birding in the sun.

Thurs 19th April 2012
A wet start once again, but it cleared a little after breakfast so we drove out to the Molinos valley to meet up with fellow Kent birder Allan Lean (who is staying at a local B&B). In the lower part of the valley we had a couple of Melodious Warbler, Serin, 3+ Woodchat, Crested Lark, Corn Bunting and Stonechat. At the start of the Molinos sendero a splendid male Black-eared Wheatear, a new bird for Allan, showed well if distantly. Following the path through scrub we heard many Nightingale, scolding Sardinians and, as we climbed into the woods, a few singing Iberian Chiffchaff and Bonelli's Warbler. Griffons were ever present, but there was only a couple of Booted Eagles and just a single Short-toed Eagle.

Friday 20th April 2012
A dull start, but as we headed north, where the weather is often better than in the mountainous south, shafts of sunlight broke up the clouds. The first stop was Mesas de Asta Marsh which, as always, impressed. A close packed flock of smaller terns proved to be Whiskered and in numbers I'd not previously seen here – or anywhere else. I estimated a minimum of 300 birds and possibly as many as 400! Mixed in with them were a few Gull-billed Tern, but further off a large lose flock of these birds probably exceeded Whiskered in number. A passing Black Kite spooked small flock of Black-tailed Godwit (30+), 20+ Avocet, 2-3 Lapwing, 40+ Dunlin and other small waders. A stunning male Montagu's Harrier wafted over and 3-4 Collared Pratincole acrobatically dashed about. As the fords along the track were dry I was able to drive down to the saline area further south along the road – it looked interesting, but held few birds.

Then it was off towards Trebujena and then on to the track along the Guadalquivir. Although quieter than I've known it, this drive produced several Black Kites, another Monties, Lesser Kestrels, three Purple Heron, a Purple Gallinule, a Greenshank, a Spoonbill, numerous White Storks and a couple of Bee-eaters. I was pleased too that I managed to locate the “Laguna de Venta Senuela” which had another Greenshank, a Redshank, Ringed Plover and another Spoonbill. Driving back towards Lebrija a female Monties was drinking in a irrigation canal and a Golden Oriole dashed into a bush nearby. A stop in Lebrija for a much needed coffee and cake produced 20+ Lesser Kestrels.

By chance our route home took us to El Cuervo so a look at Laguna de Tollos was unavoidable, but, sadly, it was bone dry and birdless. Accordingly, we had another brief stop at Laguna de Medina which was at least full of water. This time we walked up to the Observatario de la Malvasia on the northern side of the laguna. Wet or not the laguna itself was depressingly birdless – a dozen or so Red-crested Pochard, half a dozen half hidden Coot, 20-30 Great-crested Grebe and a small flock of gulls decorated the waters. Again there was no sign of any White-headed Ducks. Sardinian, Melodious and Great Reed Warblers plus Nightingale were loudly present in the scrub. Then it was down the A381 to Alcala where, with the sunshine, out came the Lesser Kestrels joined by 2-3 Booted Eagles.

Sat 21st April 2012
The village was shrouded in thick mist this morning, but, as so often this soon gave way to bright sunshine and it turned out to be by far the warmest day we've had thus far. The main impulse today was to exit the village before the notorious 'bull run' through the streets. Despite driving through the mountains to Jimena we saw few birds, the only one of note being a Sparrowhawk. Once in Jimena the only noteworthy birds were a few Lesser Kestrels although a few parties of Bee-eater were heard and distantly seen. Back in Alcala for the evening c30 Lesser Kestrels haunted the skies above the terrace (although the total number of birds involved was probably double that) and 30+ Bee-eaters came over. A couple of Booted Eagle came to inspect us and a dozen or more Griffons passed by. Unfortunately, the most interesting bird was a raptor that slipped over fast and high late in the day. I picked it up rather late and, since it was more or less head on, I could see little. Once it was close enough for me to see its underside it was also close enough to quickly disappeared behind the wall above the terrace. It was a pale 'buteo' with almost translucent white 'hand' contrasting with black wing tips which made it reminiscent of Red Kite. The underwing coverts were pale sandy and secondaries off white – both contrasting with blackish carpal patches. The tail seemed to be an unmarked warm buff. Whilst these features seemed to point towards Long-legged Buzzard, but the dark head suggested it was no more than an odd pale Common Buzzard. Whatever it was, I wish I'd had a longer view and had had my 'scope handy and hadn't been distracted by the arrival of a guest (Allan) calling up to me from the street below.

Sun 22nd April 2012
Another day when avoiding the bull bashing activities in Alcala was the priority. A clear and sunny start to the day (our first!) meant that the usual breakfast gathering of Lesser Kestrel was augmented by a passing Alpine Swift and a calling Golden Oriole far below in the valley. We set off south intending to explore the walk near Huerte Grande and en route a small 'kettle' of BoPs caught my eye – hard to be certain but they looked like Honey Buzzard. We found the Sendero Cerro del Tambor after a struggle with finding the turning off the N340. It was a pleasant enough walk but somewhat birdless – a Booted Eagle, passing Griffons, a few Bee-eaters, Cirl Bunting, Serin, Sardinian, Melodious and Bonelli's Warbler. The best birds were two Grey Wagtails that flew off from a small culvert by the main road. Despite signs suggesting it was a closed military road plenty of cars ventured down the track – next time we might do the same and so make it a much shorter walk. Getting to the coast would be much easier! We then explored El Cuarton upmarket 'housing estate' which offered superb views and another possibility for subsequent exploration. Similarly we paused briefly at Cabrito – now encircled by wind turbines – but with tracks snaking inland.

We then headed off to La Janda passing en route a dead hedgehog that seemed very pale – was it an Algerian Hedgehog? La Janda, being largely dry, was again somewhat lacklustre in terms of birds. The Cattle Egret herony was still active although a little reduced in size I thought. Several flocks of Bee-eaters passed over, but few other birds were noted. However, to my delight I discovered that the 'inner road' down to Facinas had been repaired and was now in a good drivable state – one to explore fully anon. Driving along the Benalup road a single Hoopoe slipped over the road – good not to miss this iconic Mediterranean species. Back in Alcala the Lesser Kestrels (30+) again provided much entertainment. Other birds noted included a lone Black Kite, a couple of very distant Booted Eagle and a dozen or more Griffons.

TBC

Mon 23rd April 2012
A morning walk along the Molinos valley with Allan and Gill was a little quiet partly because it was mid-morning by the time we started. Birds seen included 4+ Cirl Bunting (which Allan particularly wanted to see), 8+ Serin, a Black-eared Wheatear, 6+ Woodchat, a Whitethroat, Sardinian Warbler, Bonelli's Warbler, Iberian Chiffchaff, Firecrest, several small Bee-eater flocks, 5-6 Short-toed Eagle, 3+ Booted Eagle, a couple of Common Kestrel, a single Egyptian Vulture and numerous Griffon Vultures. After much searching I located a very distant Blue Rock Thrush – another bird Allan wanted to see – on crags above the final ruined 'molino' at the end of the walk.. Once easy to see at the start of the walk this species appears to have declined in recent years. Finally, a small snake on the footpath back proved to be a Lataste's Viper – a reptile tick.

Then we went off to Canterranas area hoping to show Gill an Hoopoe – one of the few birds that she wanted to see. I soon picked up Calandra Lark – a lifer for Allan – but the target was elusive to the point of invisibility! A drive through the olive groves failed to get Hoopoe, but did locate a small Bee-eater colony – a useful find. A detour via the bustard site was a 'no show' as there were farmers in the vital favoured field. However, there were 4-5 Montagu's Harrier here and I was able to confirm that, this way in, there was no sign banning 'unauthorised' traffic so we took the scenic route back to the Alcala road. The usual 30+ Lesser Kestrels were around the house that evening.

Tues 24th April 2012
A very chilly morning on the terrace with a gusting wind, but far more birds. A spiral of Griffon in the valley was a sign of things to come with at least 200 birds drifting over as the morning wore on. Also of note were 8+ Booted Eagle, 6 Black Kite, a Common Buzzard, an Egyptian Vulture, 80+ Bee-eaters and 300+ Common Swift (but, surprisingly, no Pallids or Alpines). Lesser Kestrel as ever tried to upstage the larger raptors by their acrobatics and constant chorus of chattering calls. Astonishingly, Short-toed Eagle still elude me from the terrace this April despite seeing them so readily yesterday in the Molinos valley. In the early afternoon we were joined by our non-birding guests, so birding for the day was curtailed.

Wednes 25th April 2012
I awoke just after 7:30 to find the valley once again cloaked in thick mist. Our plan was to take our guests to Jerez which they'd never visited. So we pottered round Jerez for the day, visiting the castle and our favourite cake shop. Consequently birding was limited to what we saw from the terrace and the odd bird in Jerez – mainly Lesser Kestrels, swift sp. and the odd Griffon Vulture, although a Stone-curlew flew over the road as we passed Laguna de Medina.

Thurs 26th April 2012
As usual the Lesser Kestrels performed well this morning with a supporting cast of Griffon Vultures. We, that is ourselves and Jour guests, went south today with Punta Secreta being our first stop. Here there was a steady, if slow, stream of raptors overhead – an Egyptian Vulture, 20+ Black Kite, 10+ Booted Eagle, 6-7 Short-toed Eagle and a lone Black Stork (plus a Gannet beating along the shoreline). From there it was along the coast towards Tarifa and beyond. A brief stop near the park information centre produced a sighting of a camera shy Monarch butterfly We returned to Alcala via La Janda to show our guests the egret colony (where we also had several Turtle Dove and a Woodchat). Back in Alcala 20+ Lesser Kestrel did their stuff and 20+ Black Kites, with rather more Griffons, slipped into roost – but still no Short-toed Eagles

Friday 27th April 2012
A dull and overcast morning which dampened even the Lesser Kestrel's usually joyous start to the day. Our guests departed back to Granada this morning so we headed up to Jerez to buy a bookshelf and as we drove north the rain grew heavier. However, the clouds lifted and sun came out so after a visit to IKEA we drove over towards Sanlucar. Unfortunately, the usually reliable 'Martin Miguel' pools partincole colony was deserted, but the half dry second lagoon had several Spoonbill, 50+ Whiskered Tern and c100 Gull-billed Tern. A quick look at Bonanza salinas produced numerous Dunlin, Curlew Sandpiper, Redshank (more than I'd seen here before), a few Little Stint and rather more Sanderling. Also present were Flamingo, Avocet, Black-winged Stilt and a handful of Slender-billed Gull. Laguna Tarelo had 8 White-headed Duck plus Night & Squacco Herons, Spoonbill, etc in the heronry. The drive along to Trebujena had more waders than usual as the lagunas were shallow, but for the first time in several years I couldn't find any Marbled Teal here (I later heard some had been seen at Tarelo). Birds seen included a few Common Sandpiper, 70+ Spoonbill, a few Flamingos, 3-4 Purple Gallinules, some Red-crested Pochard and my first Red Kite of the visit. Those larks that crossed my path – literally so – all appeared to be Crested, but I was pleased to see a few Spanish Yellow Wagtails and a lone Tawny Pipit. I explored the road at the far end of the drive along the Guadalquivir a little further than previously as it not seem in quite such a bad condition. There were many pratincole here and the small salinas has an obliging Squacco and a Great-white Egret. Another quick stop at Laguna de Medina demonstrated once again how few birds were present – 9 Red-crested Pochard, a couple of Pochard, 6 Black-necked Grebe, Dabchick & Great-crested Grebe. Then it was back home to the Lesser Kestrels.

Saturday 28th April 2012
Yesterday's dull and overcast morning was replaced by a distinctly wet one. Hence I started to assemble a bookcase we got yesterday, but this activity soon lost what little attraction it possessed when I developed a blister through over use of a screwdriver. So it was off and out to Benalup to visit the museum in Hotel Utopia …. which, naturally, was closed! With the weather improving we headed off to explore the recently resurfaced the caňada that forms the eastern rim of La Janda. This proved an interesting option with several charming Red-rumped Swallow, 5-6 Woodchat, a particularly handsome pale Black-eared Wheatear, a couple of Common Buzzard, 3+ Montagu's Harrier, dozens of Black Kite, tens of Booted Eagle, 2 Black-winged Kite, ever present Griffons, numerous Calandra Lark (often posing on the track just out of telephoto range!) and several flocks of Bee-eater. The track was surprisingly good until we reached the latitude of Tahivilla when a large pothole proved too much for Liz's sensibilities and we turned back. With care, though, I suspect we could have continued. So it back along the track towards Benelup and on to Alcala. Stopping at Ajibe visitors' centre for a coffee and walk round the garden, we had 5+ Short-toed Eagle, a similar number of Booted Eagle and rather more Black Kite. One of each of the latter species were sharing the same airspace reminding me just how easily a dark morph Booted can be taken for a Black Kite!

Returning to the village for supplies, we quickly nipped out to the Molinos valley to say good-bye to our new Dutch friends. Evidently, some of the party had had Black-winged Kite in the valley that day – raising my hopes to get one from the terrace. Unfortunately, even before we got back home the rain had set in and it poured for the rest of the evening and into the night when we had a thunder storm. Not all bad news as the afternoon had been punctuated by texts from my brother and daughter reporting that the Saints were doing well …. finishing the season with a crushing 4-0 victory and thus clinching automatic promotion.

Sunday 29th April 2012
Despite heavy rain and more thunder overnight, it was a bright and sunny, if cloudy, this morning. Unfortunately, heavy rain, interspersed by light showers soon set in and remained the default weather setting until mid-afternoon. Rather than stay at home we went off to the Barbate area. The first birds of note were the colony of Bald Ibis – 9+ birds seen and 4, possibily 5, nests appeared to be occupied. Then it was off to the Marismas de Barbate where, despite the increasing rain and the anti-social aggression of the Black-winged Stilts, I saw Avocet, a Dunlin, a Common Sandpiper, 10+ Glossy Ibis and 5+ Purple Gallinule. A detour near Benalup added Woodchat and Montagu's Harrier to the tally, but it was home in Alcala for the rainstorm.
By 16:00 the rain had finally eased so I put in a couple of hours birding from the terrace with my reward coming in the shape of a distant 'scoped Short-toed Eagle (at last) plus an even more distant probable pair displaying. In addition, there were 5-6 Booted Eagle (inc. a dark bird at very close range which knew to fly by when my camera was downstairs), 2-3 Common Buzzard, 10+ Black Kite, Griffons constantly in view (up to a dozen at any one time) and the company of Lesser Kestrel.

Monday 30th April 2012
Despite more heavy rain overnight I was enticed up to the terrace this morning by the blue skies above the stairwell. Sadly they were bearing false witness as the village was besieged by blue-black clouds pregnant with rain. Medina was so shrouded in rain as to be scarcely visible. Before long the village too was under a dismal pall of rain. So, what to do? With a suggestion that the skies were slightly less foreboding to the north we opted to head off for Chipiona in the hope of finding some sun. Quite against expectations this is precisely what we found.
In Chipiona we enjoyed a good coffee and I had a relaxing seafood tapa. En route we'd had the odd Black Kite, but little else. As expected there were few birds about in Chipiona with Turnstone – the first of our little jaunt – being a welcome addition to the list. However, I did manage to find 2-3 cetaceans (probably Bottle-nosed Dolphins) offshore.
So it was back to the car and a slow meander back home … well that was the plan until I spotted a group of birders. It transpired that it was Ollie – with whom I'd corresponded – and his friends Dave, Kieran and his girlfriend Leila. With great good fortune not long after meeting them I managed to pick up on a Little Swift which shot over! Then Kieran picked up a young Audouin's Gull. After some conflab we decided nip over to Laguna de Medina to look for Crested Coot. Predictably, we couldn't find one there but we did have all the usual fare plus Purple Heron. Then it was on to Salinas de Santa Maria to search for Lesser Short-toed Lark (which they'd missed at Bonanza) – we had 2-3 Short-toed Lark, 3-4 Stone-curlew, Curlew Sandpiper, Collared Pratincole and Wheatear, but no certain Lesser Short-toed. Unfortunately, in retrospect one of the birds I only saw briefly and then only in profile seemed to have a full band of streaks across the chest as it turned and then flew …...
I was reminded that Crested Coot was one of their 'wanted' birds so our next stop was Laguna de Medina. Given my previous visits there I had little hope of finding one – rightly so as it transpired with the best bird here being a fly past Purple Heron. Next on the agenda was Little Bustard which they'd failed to find earlier in the week when it'd been raining heavily. So it was off to the Benalup area for a look-see. I knew that the evening light wouldn't be good at the site I'd seen them last week, so I decided to check fields near Los Baladejos first as the light should be behind us. Within minutes of parking I luckily managed to find a male calling & feeding in the field – very gratifying indeed! Moments later Dave found a second bird and then Ollie spotted a Black-winged Kite over the same field. Rather less expected was the sight of a Purple Heron flying down the valley. Excellent stuff! What else could we do now but to retire to Alcala for a beer with the evening entertainment provided by Lesser Kestrels? (For Kieran's account of this trip see http://showingwell.com/birding-andalucia-2012-work-in-progress/ and for Ollie's exhaustive notes see http://dippedconnection.wordpress.com/andalusia-2012-trip-report/).

Tuesday 1st May 2012
The Lesser Kestrels were there to see us off when we drove up to Jerez airport to drop off the car and then on to Algeciras then La Linea by bus. This gave us time to pop over the border and into Gibraltar. In truth the walk on the upper regions of the Rock was somewhat dull with few birds – large numbers of Yellow-legged Gull, House Martin, Sardinian Warbler, Blackcap and Blackbird. The latter again surprised me by its strong 'Spanish' accent – they sound much higher pitched and excited than 'our' birds. Most of the swifts over La Linea were Common, but a couple may have been Pallids. The view from the our balcony in the hotel furnished me once again with distant views of a few passing Gannets.

Wednesday 2nd May 2012
Our last day, or rather morning, in Spain. Few birds seen and none I hadn't seen previously. So ended a pleasant low key trip to the area which 127 species – not bad considering the limited amount of birding done and sites visited.

Photos & updates for my notes to follow ......

A drive along the Guadalquivir

Slightly repetitive, but a modified version of my latest blog post which, for technical reasons (i.e. my incompetence) has a few more photos than here!

Although I've not quite got to grips with all of the species I'd like in Cadiz province, the trip this spring was mainly about exploring various sites I knew less well than I'd like. One area I'd earmarked for a closer look was the road along the Guadalquivir north and west of Lebrija. It's not, perhaps, a premier site, but it's a pleasant drive through little birded areas.

First, however, I wanted to have a quick look at the roads west of Trebujena. First stop was the continuation of the track along the Guadalquivir (a - see map). The small salt pans on the corner here can be quite productive and this visit was no exception. A Great White Egret nervously flew off as we approached, but a Squacco Heron favoured us with splendid views. Continuing along the riverside I had good numbers of Collared Pratincole hawking over dry saline vegetation – habitat which looked good for Pin-tailed Sandgrouse. After 100m or so we reached a small bridge after which the track deteriorated (although still drivable with care). However, my passenger de jour, Mrs C., is a nervous sort so I turned back towards Trebujena. Just short of Cortijo de Adventus I checked a good gravel track (b) running south into the marshes. This certainly merits a closer look as it should give good views over the marshes, but on the day there was a lot of activity here (lorries, 4x4, mopeds, etc) so I opted to leave it to another day. With the track running north a little closer to the cortijo being mired in mud and time pressing I decided to head through Trebujena and explore north off the A 471.

Unfortunately, as I approached (c) there was a good deal of oncoming traffic making it difficult to turn left off the A 471 onto a couple of dirt tracks that give you a chance to stop and scan (there being few places to do so safely on the A471). Hence when I missed the first turning it was difficult to turn round. For future reference the turning is c1 km after the last exit for Trebujena and that an old track, allowing access on foot, runs parallel to the main road. The only place to pull off on the right being near the Algosur depot is often busy with heavy lorries. However, here you can pull off onto a track beside a new Campsa petrol station on the left, but once again due to heavy traffic I missed the turning! Nonetheless I did, however, have Lesser Kestrel and Collared Pratincole (although far fewer than when the halophytic habitat is wet).

The turning (d) onto the network of roads fanning out to the NW of Lebrija is another kilometre beyond the garage and indicated by a small crossroads sign which is just as well since you'll need to signal in good time on this fast straight stretch. To the right this byroad
continues as a good metalled route, but to the left it's a rougher, albeit good, gravel track. With time pressing and a tractor already heading off to the left I turned right. With the promise of decent views over poorly vegetated habitats this track begs further exploration for pratincoles, harriers and probably sandgrouse. To the right the road snakes along through rather boring agricultural landscape although as it runs alongside the railway line there are some pools with Black-winged Stilt and more Collared Pratincole. I had a Golden Oriole flip out of the scrub along the drainage channel where confiding female Montagu's Harrier quietly drank. How did the bird know that my camera was in the boot? However, the best option is turn left along the first decent metalled road which is as a boringly straight as it is birdless and reach the river asap.

Once I reached the river I turned right as to the left the track was less good and the habitat less inviting. Negotiating the track back towards Trebujena will have to wait until I've a more adventurous passenger! To the north an avenue of eucylptus trees shade this track from the hot sun which makes for pleasant birding indeed. There's little traffic, several good places to pull off and a series of small marshy pools sandwiched between the track and the Guadalquivir. This has proved good for herons in the past and today was no exception with many Little and fewer Cattle Egrets, several Purple and the odd Squacco Heron (only Night Herons, usually present in small numbers, were missing). The telegraph wires were useful look-outs for Lesser Kestrels and Bee-eaters whilst the poles and nearby trees gave somewhere more secure for Black Kites to perch. As always along here check all sparrows carefully as some Spanish Sparrows are often present. Melodious Warbler certainly occur in good numbers and Olivaceous Warbler ought to be looked for in the denser tamarisk scrub.

After much stopping and starting I finally arrived at our first destination – La Señuela where the old chapel is home to a dozen or so White Storks' nests. Surely one of the most picaresque sites for this familiar Spanish birds. On previous visits I've headed back towards Lebrija along a dirt track lined with more authentic looking, but less utilitarian, Palm trees which generate little useful shade. Today I continued along the riverside track to find the mysterious Laguna Venta la Señuela. This site has attracted rarities such as American Golden Plover, Pectoral Sandpiper and Temminck’s Stint, but isn't marked on any maps and the un-signed rustic venta after which it's named isn't obvious either. With a little detective work on the internet, though, I managed to work out that it was where the track turned away from the river. Frankly, the shallow sandy pool was a bit of a disappointment with only a small group of Black-winged Stilt, a couple of Greenshank and a Spoonbill. However, I gather that it sometimes acts as a roost site for birds using the nearby rice paddies to feed. Perhaps it's better in autumn.

So that's it, a gentle perambulation along the banks of the Guadalquivir. From where you join the riverbank track to the south to La Señuela is 8 or 9 km. It's then another 5 km to the laguna from which it's only another 10km or thereabouts to Brazo del Este – a top destination for birding. This route may not rate so highly, but it's certainly a very enjoyable detour. If getting to Brazo del Este is your priority then it's best to push straight along the road running parallel to the railway towards Marsimilla or along even the E5 to (and through) Las Cabezas de San Juan. However, if a little low key relaxed birding is your aim, then it's a great route. If you had an early start for a jaunt round Brazo del Este it can make a very pleasant slow route back south. Check it out and if you do let me know how you get on.

Attachments

• map.png
    map.png
    144.9 KB · Views: 33
  • April 2012 045 - Copy.jpg
    April 2012 045 - Copy.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 48
Marismas del Barbate

In the past I’ve stopped a few times along the coastal Barbate – Zahara road (A 2231) and have seen a few interesting gulls, the odd wader, a few Spoonbill and the local introduced Bald Ibis. However, I have always found the saltmarsh there a little bleak and unattractive. So, although it’s only about 40km from my base in Alcala, the Barbate estuary and marshes remain one area I’ve yet to explore thoroughly.

Having a closer look was one of the objectives I set myself this spring and, since the lower marshes didn’t appeal, it was time to have a look at the upper marshes. A sendero snakes through the upper marshes near the village of La Oliva, but I’ve never been quite sure where it started.

As chance would have it, the friendly Dutch birders I’d chanced upon at the start of my break in Spain a few days previously were planning a visit to the place. So one morning we met up in the Molinos valley and, after a successful detour to see Little Bustards, soon found ourselves turning off the E5/N340 towards Barbate. Unlike on previous visits, the footpath is now well signposted off the A314 to the left (just past the CA 5203 up to Vejer. The short track here runs down to a sewage farm outside of which there’s parking for 5-6 cars (P on map) and a sign showing the route of the sendero.

As you pass through the gate the wet meadows to your left come immediately into view. This spring these meadows played host to several small flocks of Glossy Ibis plus the odd Purple Gallinule. The footpath is, it would seem, often flooded here, but a series of large stone slabs act both as stepping stones and a helpful way to gain a little more elevation. The muddy pools inevitably attract a small colony of Black-winged Stilt which, as always, tend to be aggressively territorial. On the downside this means that they can chase off other species, but equally they have a habit of flushing out birds otherwise hidden from view. The shallow freshwater lagoons here attract waders that aren’t always that easy to find in the area such as Green and Wood Sandpipers in addition to the more usual ‘suspects’ such as Dunlin, Greenshank and the like.

Some 100 metres from the start of the footpath (b) it bifurcates with the path to the left heading out across the valley and that to the right continuing south along the side of the valley. There’s a good small pool at the junction that probably deserves more attention than I’ve yet given it. Above the grassy meadows in the middle of the flood plain there may be numerous hawking Collared Pratincoles. The reed fringed Rio Barbate has, as one might expect a good population of Great Reed Warblers. Unfortunately, this is the limit of my explorations, but seen from Vejer the whole area looks as if it is regularly flooded. As you head south the pools clearly become increasingly saline which, presumably, is reflected in a changed bird population. As you approach La Oliva a track (c), which may provide an alternative access point, runs out from the village which seems to continue towards a wetter area. Further along the sendero there seems to be more pools (d) which beg further exploration. Between these two points you can cut across back to the river to make a shorter circular walk. If you’re more energetic you can continue south to cut across to (e) seemingly looking across more saltmarsh like habitats. Obviously, I need to do more exploration here, but I don’t mind if others do so first …… as long as they let me know what they see!

I've a few more photos of the site on my blog which are too large to upload here

Attachments

• Barbate sendero done flipped.jpg
    Barbate sendero done flipped.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 41
Black-bellied Sandgrouse
Further to an earlier post (74) about birding around Osuna, I've recently discovered that in March 2012 a flock of 18 Black-bellied Sandgrouse were seen near Laguna del Ojuelos (f on the map in the aforementioned post). This was the site where I saw a single Black-bellied Sandgrouse some years ago (from the train!). Despite looking several times I've never seen another one there. I'm not exactly sure where, precisely, the flock was seen, but clearly it's worth looking more closely than I've been able to do. Apparently the sandgrouse were flying over and picked up by call. This seems to be a substantial proportion of the local population. Also reported in the area were a similar number of Great Bustards. Hopefully, I'll be looking early next spring,

Honey Buzzards
If you've not seen Honey Buzzards on migration then you've not seen them at their most enigmatic and fascinating. All migrants have a level of mystery which mere resident birds cannot match. Birdwatching from the terrace of my house in Alcala this September allowed me to witness their migration this September in some comfort. In my diary I wrote:
Just after 7:30 PM on Thursday (6/09) – as dusk was drawing on - a single Black Kite emerged at low level along the half hidden shallow valley, behind the ridge opposite, along which the road to San Jose runs. Skittering along at treetop level, I could have easily missed it. At 7:40, scanning for more kites trying this approach, I picked up 2-3 Honey Buzzards trying to slip past, by 7:45 there were 20+ doing so and by 7:50 numbers had swelled to over 60. Fizzing up out of the valley which could no longer contain them, they banked, dipped, drifted and circled until, suddenly, at 7:55 there were none to be seen. In the next ten minutes I had six more, but then nothing for the next 30 minutes. With the light getting much worse, I wasn't expecting any more birds. Then, at 8:35, six more drifted up from the valley. In the rapidly failing light another c25 Honey Buzzards popped up followed by another similarly sized group. Suddenly, the sky in front of the house was full of them; 50+ birds all doing a slow aerial tarantella in the gathering dusk. Slipping and sliding towards the earth, they dropped into roost; simply magic!

I awoke with great expectations on Friday after the previous evening's magical entertainment. Happily, my expectations were both met and exceeded. It didn't start well as at 8:00 AM the skies entirely birdless. At 8:22 a couple of Honey Buzzard spiralled up out of the woods, then a few more and still more so that there were soon birds moving at every level; some struggling out of the trees, some forming loose kettles, some already in rapidly rising kettles, others breaking off at great height to glide and flap steadily southwards and still more, like motes of dust, joining kettling birds already at great height. For half an hour either side of 9:00 AM there were birds in every direction, both high and low. Even when numbers tailed off from 9:30 or so, there were still small groups of 5-12 birds – again at every level – appearing at odd intervals. How many in total? Well, I counted 489 birds, but when the frenzy was at it's height I'm sure I was over cautious in not double counting so my 'ball park figure' would be 500+.

Honey Buzzards are most extraordinary birds. With light, elastic wingbeats and sometimes fa altering action in strong winds, they give an impression of weakness and vulnerability. Yet they also display a steeliness and determination in keeping going when other species give up. They slip almost unnoticed low amongst the trees gradually aggregating into small loose flocks before speculatively attempting to thermal upwards in tightening circles. Sometimes they succeed, but often they waiver, stall and drop …. only to come beating up, undaunted, once more. Yet once they feel the breeze beneath their wings they can spiral up with surprising speed. Some birds beat along alone, but most birds prefer company so following a lone bird is often a good way to locate a small flock. Once a flock begins to consolidate then, wraith-like, more birds suddenly materialise out of the ether like ghostly apparitions. It this ability to surreptitiously hug the canopy before suddenly, and rapidly rising high in a giddy spiral, that makes them seem almost spectral in their sudden manifestation. As suddenly as they appear then so too do they vanish. A moment's distraction and you find that the flock has suddenly vanished into thin air. Maybe they've risen too high to be easily seen or perhaps they've all broken off the spiral to glide rapidly away. Whatever the case they always seem as much ghostly sprites as flesh-and-blood birds.

Back home I checked to see what figures were obtained along the coast on these two days and they make interesting reading. To the west near Tarifa at Cazella few birds were seen - 6/9 – 17 on Thursday and 56 the following day. In contrast to the east at Algarrobo, near Algeciras, there were 717 on Thursday and 3,955 Friday. They must have made quite a sight, but the observers on the coast will have been denied the thrill of seeing them struggling out of their overnight roosts. The way in which Honey Buzzards gained height so rapidly and glided away so quickly was quite remarkable. How do they do it? Well it must help that, despite being the size of a Buzzard they are, on average, 30% or more, lighter. This too may explain their diagnostic 'springy' flight action. So if you've not been there try to make 2013 the year you catch up with one of Europe's wonders – the migration of Honey Buzzards across the Straits. You won't regret it!

Just finished yet another 'draft' of my birding notes. I've now written three versions - a concise guide to the main sites, a revised edition of my full guide with an additional handful of photos) and another version with the same text, but numerous site photos. I'll be giving details as to where you can find them anon. I'm currently wondering whether they're now polished enough to send to various birding magazines to see if they'd review such non-printed media (e-books I suppose) .......

However much I might like to think otherwise, I am an extraordinarily lazy birder. I go out to Spain full of plans to explore various sites in Cadiz province only to end up spending an awful lot of time sitting on our terrace just seeing what might fly over. This year, though, I had a good excuse for my idleness - I wanted to get my 20th raptor from my domestic watchpoint!

Each morning when in Spain there’s a little ritual – as soon as the tea’s made, I nip up onto the terrace to see what the day will bring. More often than not I’m greeted by the local Lesser Kestrels which is hardly surprising as 4 or 5 pairs nest in the tower next to the house. If I’m really careful as I sneak up the stairs, I’ll see the kestrels perched atop the trees opposite and sometimes even manage to get a photo. After a good scan if it’s not raining then it’s time for a leisurely breakfast with binoculars and ‘scope at hand.

With the terrace BoP list standing at 19 species, I had a short hit list of what might just be the twentieth raptor. However, before delving too deeply into the ‘possibles’ what, then, had I seen from the house. I’ve already mentioned the colony of Lesser Kestrels around the place so it’s no surprise that I see Common Kestrel too – although the Lessers quickly chase ‘em off. Next up is Peregrine which isn’t too hard as they nest locally and, as the ever diminishing population of domestic pigeons demonstrate, regularly hunt in the area. Hobby tend to come through fast and low, but are frequent enough to be expected during passage. Merlin, with only a couple of records, is the scarcest falcon. This figure looks set to rise, though, now that I’m there more often in late autumn and winter. The Lesser Kestrels will also mob passing Sparrowhawks (another local breeder) although they seem to take great greater exception to their closer cousins. In contrast they go absolutely bonkers if a Goshawk happens by, or at least they did so, when my sole definite record ‘bounced’ the colony one morning.

Despite being ‘summer visitors’ Black Kites are around for much of the year with birds arriving in February and hanging around into November and beyond. Although they don’t breed very nearby they’re regular migrants. Much the same can be said of Red Kite which pass through in much smaller numbers. Marsh Harrier is another regular bird in small numbers, but I tend to see rather more passing Montagu’s Harrier. Since they now breed nearby and winter in good numbers on local wetlands, Osprey can be expected at almost any time of the year although passage periods are best.

A pair or two of Common Buzzard breed across the valley. With the local Booted Eagles to compete with during the summer they often appear to avoid conflict by feeding early and late. Although belonging to a different family, Honey Buzzards, as their name suggests, can look very like Buzzard. Witnessing the migration of this attractive birds – which often roost across the valley – is often a highlight of any visit.

A pair or two of Booted Eagles bred across the valley and most are pale morph birds. On a good day during passage 50-60 birds might pass overhead per day. The status of Short-toed Eagle is similar with a pair or two breeding locally and more passing through on migration. Bulky, broad-headed beasts they can be picked out on shape alone as they sit on pylons some 2 km across the valley. I’ve seen everal Aquila eagles from the terrace, but only one was close enough to identify beyond doubt – an Golden Eagle.

Vultures, like me tend to be pretty lazy, and frequently don’t get up too early. Large roosts of Griffon Vultures are to be found in the Molinos Valley so it’s hardly surprising that they regularly patrol the skies over Alcala. Sometimes a mere handful appear, but seeing 200-300 birds or more in a morning is not unusual. Egyptian Vultures are far less frequent with 4-5 being a good daily total during migration.

That’s the 19 confirmed species, so what are the potential additions to the terrace list I was looking for this autumn? The most obvious species is Hen Harrier since I actually had one over the village, 100m up the road from the house one October, but perhaps September’s a tad early! Ruppell’s Vulture is a distinct possibility too given the numbers of Griffons that pass over plus the fact that I know that they’ve been seen in the parish. Indeed, I’ve had a couple of ‘posssibles’, but none of them obliged with good views. A recent colonist to the area, Long-legged Buzzard cannot be ruled out of contention, but given the trickiness of ID (especially with a number of hybrids reported in recent years) only a really close view will do and none of the 3 ‘possibles’ I’ve already seen have allowed that. Albeit somewhat distant, the fields below the house look perfect for Black-winged Kite which have increased so rapidly in the province. As one was seen in the Molinos valley (just north-east of the village) this spring – almost certainly reached via the valley my house overlooks – this species was the front runner. I've had several aquila eagles over the years, but only the Golden Eagle I note above was close enough to see much on. With a reintroduction programme underway to the east and birds regularly visiting the Alcornocales to the west, I really ought to have seen Spanish Imperial Eagle by now, but thus far I've not been lucky. The last ‘obvious’ species is Bonelli’s Eagle which I’ve seen several times in the Alcornocales along the nearby Molinos valley. Although the adults tend to stay in the hills, young birds drift down into the lowlands in autumn. Three further raptor species have been seen on La Janda in recent years – Pallid Harrier, Lanner and Eleonora's Falcon and a fourth, Red-footed Falcon, has already been seen over Alcala although in spring rather than autumn.

So each day I got myself comfortable, ate breakfast and waited and watched. Birds started pushing through just before 09:00 and continued fairly briskly until around midday. With shade finally giving in to the sun, by 14:00, when things had usually got very quiet anyhow, it was time for a break. The evening session was a little more variable, but generally quieter. During this time every Griffon was grilled in the hope of a Ruppell’s. Buzzards got similar treatment. Every evening the fields were scanned repeatedly in the hope of spotting a small, pale, ghost like kite hovering in the distance. Eagles too were subject to a close scrutiny with one such bird drawing particular attention. When, around 11:00 on the 30th August, I espied a powerful eagle heading fast towards Medina alarm bells started ringing – I’d been watching birds like this in recent days on La Janda! Quickly getting my scope on the bird as it flew away it seemed to be plain brown above with long pinched wings and a plain looking tail. Then it started to thermal upwards allowing brief glimpses of the underparts which seemed to be warm brown. It felt big and too powerfully built, but at this range could I be sure it wasn’t a ‘medium’ morph Booted? Then one of the local Buzzards dive bombed it – in comparison the eagle was huge – near the size of Short-toed! Fortunately, it then banked back towards me allowing me to assess the plumage tones more accurately – as suspected it was indeed an immature Bonelli’s Eagle! Ca-ching! My 8th raptor of the day and number 20 in the bag for the terrace! With my total terrace list now standing at 96 species (plus two species seen by another lucky vistor - Eagle Owl and Red-necked Nightjar!) my next target will be to reach 100.

Last edited:
However much I might like to think otherwise, I am an extraordinarily lazy birder. I go out to Spain full of plans to explore various sites in Cadiz province only to end up spending an awful lot of time sitting on our terrace just seeing what might fly over. This year, though, I had a good excuse for my idleness - I wanted to get my 20th raptor from my domestic watchpoint!

John,
What are the chances of a dispersing juvenile Spanish Imperial Eagle as a late-summer terrace tick?
MJB

John,
What are the chances of a dispersing juvenile Spanish Imperial Eagle as a late-summer terrace tick?
MJB

Of course it is! My original draft mentioned the species, but somehow in the redrafting it got omitted. Thanks to your comment I've now edited my post accordingly. SIEs are regular on La Janda (to the east) and I'm told that they hunt in the Alcornocales (to the west) neither are too far from the village. I've seen them 6-7 km from Alcala.

Arguably, then, they ought to be more frequent than Golden Eagle . Unfortunately, I've never had any aquila go directly over the village or flying down the valley opposite the house at reasonable range. Had my sole record of Golden Eagle not been a first winter (the white in the tail and white wing flashes being visible at long range) then I'd not been able to identify it. Perhaps, for some reason aquila eagles avoid approaching villages like Alcala.

It must be a close run thing whether this species, Hen Harrieror Black-winged Kite will become my 21st BoP species.

Thanks again for posting here,

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back