• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Cadiz Province (1 Viewer)

John,
What are the chances of a dispersing juvenile Spanish Imperial Eagle as a late-summer terrace tick?
MJB

I had a displaying Imperial Eagle at Bonanza about 12 years ago in April .... they're still there I think, you just have to be patient and look up a lot!

I had a displaying Imperial Eagle at Bonanza about 12 years ago in April .... they're still there I think, you just have to be patient and look up a lot!

I've had Spanish Imperial Eagle at Bonanza too, although not a displaying bird, and also one at Espera. Both sites, though, are fairly distant from my base in Alcala. La Janda, where I've also seen them, is a good deal closer, but the shores of the Embalse de Barbate are closer still being visible from the other side of the village. This is where I had a splendid immature SIE not so long ago. The problem isn't one of being patient or looking up a lot, it's just that the blighters don't seem to want to fly over the village!

The problem isn't one of being patient or looking up a lot, it's just that the blighters don't seem to want to fly over the village!

I certainly wouldn't question your patience John but regarding SIE's over villages - out in the Portuguese Baixo Alentejo I have seen them over and good views from a number of villages over the years.

So believe it - I bet one wanders your way soon! :)

La Janda
I gather that, due to heavy winter rains to track from the bridge near the sluice gates up to the old finca (i.e. towards Benalup) is now impassable to non-4x4 drivers as it's heavily rutted. Let's hope it gets repaired soon, but be aware that this may be a problem if approaching from the north.

I certainly wouldn't question your patience John but regarding SIE's over villages - out in the Portuguese Baixo Alentejo I have seen them over and good views from a number of villages over the years.

So believe it - I bet one wanders your way soon! :)

I do so hope so, Simon. It does seem overdue, but that may reflect that I've spent relatively little time there in autumn/winter when they may well be most likely to appear,

I've just had a very interesting message via my blog from a birder who visited the Osuna area over Christmas. Here he reports seeing 70 Great Bustards and 90 Little Bustards near Osuna. He also found 12 Black Bellied Sandgrouse nearby on both 30/12 and 31/12 (7 birds). Very interesting and far better than I've managed. I'll certainly be having a look when I'm there in February!

I've just uploaded a slightly updated version of the three versions of my notes ('standard', photo & 'lite') at www.issuu.com. No big changes, mainly minor corrections and alterations. I'm intending to regularly update them 2 -3 times a year so any feedback (esp. if you've visited the area) would be welcome.

I'm back out in Alcala next month and, hopefully will post how I get on.

I've just uploaded a slightly updated version of the three versions of my notes ('standard', photo & 'lite') at www.issuu.com. No big changes, mainly minor corrections and alterations. I'm intending to regularly update them 2 -3 times a year so any feedback (esp. if you've visited the area) would be welcome.

I'm back out in Alcala next month and, hopefully will post how I get on.

Updates downloaded, Thanks John.
Planning to visit some sites in central and eastern malaga so I will send over my notes if you think they would be useful in expanding your guide to this part of Malaga.

Osuna & bustards revisited

No apologies for returning once again to the topic looking for bustards around Osuna. I've updated my notes and map of the area (see attached) I've changed some road numbers – why do they keep changing them? - and added details of my recent visit there.

This February I visited the area twice – once en route for Alcala from Seville Airport on a warm sunny day and again on a miserably wet day en route to Seville Airport from Andujar.

I remain unsure whether this is area any better for bustards than other nearby suitable habitats (e.g. north of la Lantejuela and Marchena), but the relatively quiet SE 715 and particularly the tall bridges over the projected 'AVE trainline certainly give unrivalled opportunities to carefully scan known bustard habitats. In winter expect bands of both Great and Little Bustard, Griffon Vulture, Red Kite, Black-winged Kite, the odd Black Kite (more of which will arrive in February), Marsh and Hen Harrier, Iberian Grey Shrikes, Calandra Lark, Spanish Sparrow plus, with luck, Black-bellied Sandgrouse. Whilst the Hen Harriers and most of the Red Kites disappear in spring, other species remain with their numbers supplemented by the arrival of Stone-curlew, Collared Pratincole, Gull-billed Tern, Montagu's Harrier, Lesser Kestrel, etc. (Later in spring look for Roller hawking from wires and pylons and Olivaceous Warbler in riverine the tamarisk scrub. Rufous Bush Chat ought to occur in the general area too – any reports would be very welcome!)

The commentary that follows assumes an approach from Exit 80 on the A 92 and thereafter exploring along the SE 715. This road runs from besides the Restaurante de Los Angeles, past a small industrial estate and thereafter along a the Granada-Seville railway line. Given Spain's economic woes, quite when the trackbed for the projected 'AVE' service will have rails and a powerline, let alone trains, is anyone's guess. In the meantime the bridges here make fantastic viewpoints

About 4 km along the SE 715 from the A 92 the road crosses the first bridge (a) over the railway (see map for location of a, b, c, etc) . As with all of the bridges here, the road runs up an embankment before crossing the railway lines several meters below. Given the steep fines (90€) for stopping on an asphalt road, pull off on the gravel tracks below and walk up the bank. In February I had 7 Little Bustard from the bridge in the fields to the NE and I've previously had them calling in the fields to the SW. In December 2012 a flock of 90 Little Bustards were seen in the general area. In the past I've seen a small group of Great Bustard here too. Looking back to the south-east there's another bridge over the AVE line which can be reached via tracks through the olive groves or along the line itself; I've never tried this as a viewpoint, but it may be worth a look.

The second bridge (b), about 2.5 km further on, crosses above SE 715 and you have to pull off to the left (as you come from Osuna) to reach it. In spring 2011 the fields to the west (as you climb the embankment) held 6-7 displaying Little Bustard. Viewing from the far side of the bridge, I had 39 Great Bustard on my first visit in mid-February 2013 and 23 at the end of the month. Personally I was happy to view from a distance to avoid the risk of disturbance, but a rough track across to track 'd' might offer better views to those in a 4x4. (In late May I've had Roller here too).

Just under 2 km further on again you pass under a third bridge which can be reached by a track to the left. First, though, drive up to the semi-ruined old finca (c) on the brow of the hill where in February I had a Hoopoe. Where the track forks go to the right and park to view over a huge area of seemingly good habitat. Although I've not seen bustards here it looks perfect. Walk down the track for better views. While waiting for bustards, you've a good chance of Black-winged Kite (and, in summer, Montagu's Harrier.. To the left the track passes through olive groves and fields to eventually reach the A 92. Again I've not seen bustards from here but it's worth a look.

Returning to the SE 715, cross bridge onto a good track (d) which passes through more good bustard habitat. I've had Stone-curlew and Little Bustard here and the distant Great Bustards seen in February would have been viewable from this track. Look for Red Kite and Hen Harrier in winter, Black-winged Kite all year (and in summer Montagu's Harrier plus Collared Pratincole). After crossing a ford (which can be tricky in wet weather) the track emerges onto the SE 710 (also called the A 407 on some maps) besides a large warehouse. Both bustards (and other birds notes here) can be seen along the SE 710 - a flock of 70 Great Bustards were reported in December 2012 and I saw 10 birds near the 10 km marker in February 2013. However, there are few places to pull off this sometimes busy road safely – try the track at 14km marker and a track near the 4 km marker to Cortijo El Aljibon.

The area on the far side of the SE 710 (e) has many small olive groves and is less productive for 'steppe' species although excellent for Iberian Grey Shrike. The trees round the old finca here (opposite track 'd') can hold a large roost of Spanish Sparrow - I had a flock of c100 in February. These tracks, negotiated carefully, can make a useful cut through to the Lagunas de Lantejuela (SV 7).

Returning again to the SE 715, another c2km from the track to ' c ', you turn off to the right (opposite a sign to the defunct Venta la Romera) onto the SE 716 and cross the railway line again. The vista from this bridge I have found least productive, but it's still worth a look (and if the fields nearby are flooded in spring they may hold Black-winged Stilts, Collared Partincole and Gull-billed Terns) .Beyond the bridge the road is flanked to the west by small olive groves (with Iberian Grey Shrikes), but to the east the view over open fields steadily improves as you approach the SE 710. There are few places to stop along the first part of the road, but there's an excellent stopping point after c2.5 km (just after you see some ruins – home to Lesser Kestrel - and where the road suddenly zigzags) - look the sign 'Vereda del Alamillo'. Sheltered by large trees and with a patch of reeds along a small stream which you can check for Spanish Sparrow. (In summer this is a good place to check for Melodious and Great Reed Warbler plus, with luck, Golden Oriole). However, the potential star bird in this area is Black-bellied Sandgrouse; this is a very scarce and local bird in the area and you will need some luck. Scan the stony fields to the east very carefully and try the very poor track running across the fields on the bend c250m to the south east. A flock of up to 12 birds was seen here in December 2012 and I had 4 birds in February. Towards the SE 710 look out for a track running southwards near some farm buildings (see 'Vista' photo') which should be worth investigation.

The final section of the SE 715, which passes through rolling hills, is generally less interesting (although a track towards the railway line en route may be worth investigation). Near the junction with the SE 7201 the distant Laguna de Ojuelos often has Flamingo and waders, but is rather too distant to see much. An interesting area of halophytic vegetation by a small bridge here has attracted Roller, Collared Pratincole, Lesser Kestrel and Black-bellied Sandgrouse (a flock of 18 were seen nearby in March 2012) in the past. However, in February 2013 it had been ploughed up and planted with crops despite the nearby finca having signs regarding collaboration with the programme for the conservation of steppe birds).

Turning towards Marchena on the SE 7200, pull off just after crossing the railway lines again and park near the Rio Carbones. In summer the tamarisk here holds Olivaceous Warbler and Spanish Sparrow whilst Roller is often seen on nearby pylons. Remember to scan for Little Bustard in the fields here and look to for passing Montagu's Harrier and Collared Pratincole. Another location worth checking is a track just after the junction with the SE 7201 which runs for c2 km towards a small stream.

Attachments

• Osuna March.png
    Osuna March.png
    57.5 KB · Views: 62
  • sign.JPG
    sign.JPG
    247.2 KB · Views: 60
  • SE 710 Bustards.JPG
    SE 710 Bustards.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Vista.jpg
    Vista.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Bridge a.jpg
    Bridge a.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Great information John, I'll have to properly read through this thread at one time or another as I live in the Cadiz area, Sotogrande. I've experienced birding at La Janda and obviously the raptor migration up by Tarifa which is spectacular. But I'm also looking for a few new places to visit, especially for bustards, sandgrouse etc.

Lagunas de Lantejuela

These notes have been taken from my revised account of the area in the latest 'edition of my notes'. See the map for locations & further details.

I originally omitted this site from my notes as they were both rather far from my base in Cadiz Province and, on my original visit, bone dry and birdless. However after several wet winters I found them to stuffed with birds. I was also persuaded by the fact that it's the nearest site to Alcala de los Gazules that has Great Bustard, Black-bellied Sandgrouse and Roller! The village has also hosted a modest ‘bird fair’ and there are plans to develop ornitho-tourism here. Despite this they are still threatened by agricultural development so the presence of visiting birders may may do some good. I revised these notes in March following a short visit in February. I plan to return again in May and check out a few points – esp. access for Laguna de Ruiz Sanchez.

As suggested in the opening paragraph, these lakes often dry out in summer or even remain dry throughout the winter – hence most ‘lagunas’ have the alternative name ‘hoya’ (= depression). Laguna del Gobierno (a) off Avenida de la Vereda de la Huerta in the village may be the exception as it seems, in part, to be an old water treatment works. I’ve yet to explore this laguna which apparently has some basic hides. Some of the reserve is visible from the road, but, according to Dave Gosney, permission to visit the reserve is needed (contact [email protected]). Tracks and senderos head north from here into the ‘campo’ and should be worth exploring as both Great and Little Bustards have been seen in this area. It is also worth following the SE 700 towards Fuentes de Andalucia as in summer Roller often perch on the pylons/wires along this route. A track on the right (c4km north of La Lantejuela) appears to link up with those near the laguna and may be worth exploring. Initially it follows a well vegetated canal which should attract small passerines.

Taking theSE 708 west from La Lantejuela towards for El Rubio, after about 2.5km from the village a good track runs across the farmlands on your right – apparently part of the plans to encourage ‘eco-tourism’. After c700m you get a view across Laguna/Hoya de la Verde Sal (b) which, I suspect is more a ‘hoya’ than a ‘laguna’ since even in what seems a wet year it was dry.(According to one source a sendero passes to the west of the hoya to reach Laguna de Pedro Lopez). Look for Stone Curlew here and the habitat looks good for Black-bellied Sandgrouse (although rare in this general area).

The track passing Verde Sal continues to give good views of Laguna Ballestera (c) which is also viewable from the SE 708 (although parking along the road is limited). Unlike the access to this track further along the SE 708 there are no restrictive notices coming from this direction (although if the water level in the laguna is high further progress along the track is impossible). Take care not to spook the birds which can be very close to the shore here. Ballestera often has several hundred Flamingos, but also check carefully for Lesser Flamingo which has occurred several times. Four Ruddy Shelduck were also present in the winter of 2012/2013. Many Ruff and other waders, Whiskered Tern, ducks (inc. Red-crested Pochard and White-headed), Black-necked Grebe and numerous Coots present. Red Kite are frequent in winter. Both Montagu’s Harrier and Lesser Kestrel are common in summer and Black-winged Kite are now resident here.

The track behind Laguna de Ballestera rejoins the SE 708 about 1km further west (e). There's a large sign here showing a walking route to Laguna Pedro de Lopez (f) which, if wet, holds those species already noted for more accessible lagunas. (This noticeboard is flanked by an old notice suggesting this is a ‘restricted military area'; obviously you can walk this route, but it's unclear whether you can drive along it). This should be more accessible from (c) assuming the water level is not too high. Note that walking to this laguna is not advised during the heat of the summer.

Back on the SE 708 there's a T-junction just after you pass Laguna de Ballestera where, by going north, on the SE 705 you pass Laguna Consuegra (d). In wet springs the junction may overlook flooded fields which can have good numbers of Lapwing, Black-winged Stilt and Gull-billed Terns.The laguna itself, accessed by a rough track running along its eastern rim, holds many of the species noted under Ballestera (inc. vagrant Lesser Flamingo).

Back on the now familiar SE 708 continue towards the A 351 and El Rubio. In spring 2011 there was a large distant flooded area to the north of the road which was packed with Flamingos and waders (inc. Greenshank, Green Sandpiper, Dunlins, etc). However, although probably always 'damp' this area is not always flooded.

Roughly 10 km after leaving the La Lantejuela you reach the A 351 (Ecija-Osuna road) and with it the Hoya/Laguna de la Turquillas (g). Although often dry and when wet clogged with reeds, during passage it attracts dozens of Whiskered, and a few Black Terns (check for White-winged Black too), Squacco Heron, Purple Gallinule and White-headed Ducks. Marbled Duck sometimes appear here so scan carefully. (Note that parking here can be tricky). The warm tarmac road tempt Collared Pratincole. to rest perilously. Whiskered Tern, Purple Heron & Little Bittern breed. Evidently a sendero (footpath) skirts the edge of the laguna towards the Lagunas de Calderon (h).

There are two Lagunas de Calderon – Chica and Grande. The tiny Laguna de Calderon Chica tends to be the wetter of the two and presumably has many of the same species as Turquillas. Immediately to the south is the larger neighbour Laguna de Calderon Grande. However, whilst it has a greater surface area than its near name sake, it’s much shallower and more often deserves to be called a ‘hoya’. Once more pulling off the road here is tricky, but alt least there’s a track you could pull onto at its southern end. (Promised touristic developments here may improve matters).

Anywhere along the A 351 has the potential to turn up Great or Little Bustards, but finding somewhere safe to pull over is always problematical (although I’m probably more cautious than some). The best areas look to be to the west left 5-6 km north of the junction of the SE 708/A 351.

To the east, set amongst distant hills tantalisingly shimmering in the heat 1-2 km from the road lies the Laguna de Ruiz Sanchez (j); once the largest lake (356 hectares) in the complex and the second largest in Andalucia – only Fuente de Piedra is larger. Previously home to Marbled, Ferruginous & White-headed Duck and Crested Coot, a restoration project (started in 2006) aims to restore these species here. From the road Flamingos can be identified, but the numerous small waders and ducks using the laguna are too distant to be identified. However, a track c3 km from the junction of the A 351 (near the 14km marker) runs through olive groves towards the laguna and then loops round to run along parallel to its western shore. This route is used by cyclists and may be accessible by car. (There's also a still rougher less likely looking farm track at 11 km marker - see photo - which may allow approach on foot). Let me know if you explore either.

The local community is now growing aware of the potential of eco-tourism. In 2010 the complex was awarded a grant of 600,000€ to develop a visitors’ centre and encourage birdwatching. In April 2011 a small bird fair was held here, but the current financial crisis in Spain may have brought developments to an abrupt halt. However, the area continues to be threatened by agricultural development so the presence of visiting birders may may do some good.
See- http://lantejuelaturismorural.blogspot.com/).

Note -the only laguna in the complex I can’t find is the Laguna de Cantera Romana – let me know if you find it!

I'll post photos once I've resized them!

Attachments

• Map 63 - Lantejuela.png
    Map 63 - Lantejuela.png
    30.6 KB · Views: 53
I've just posted a revised edition of my notes on the 'ISSUU' site (see my blog for further info). These have a new or heavily revised maps for the Lagunas de Puerto Santa Maria, Laguba Paja (Chiclana), Cap Trafalgar/Brena area, Sotogrande, Osuna & Lantejuela, revised texts and a revised 'Birds & habitats' section.

I'll be revising them again on my return from Spain in May - any comments, additions or revisions gratefully received,

Last edited:
I should also add that I've now got a link directly to my notes on my website/blog (see below). As noted above any feedback/information would be very welcome,

Now finished tinkering with my webpage adding this 'n' that to, hopefully, make it esier to navigate. Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Just back from a very successful, if low key, extended visit to the province. Highlights were undoubtedly finally connecting with Lesser-crested Tern at Playa de los Lances and after some travail the Common Bulbul near Tarifa.

Seeing the tern was a double bonus since I will no longer feel obliged to risk my blood pressure by going to the site. Once again kite surfers were using the nature reserve as their 'training ground' despite notices reminding them that this was not allowed and, not least, a bleedin' great bird hide the significance of which should be obvious to anyone! A couple of English surfers were preparing to do so when I arrived - using my best 'bottom set -year 11- Friday-afternoon' voice (good to know it still works!) - I politely (!) pointed out it was a reserve and asked them to desist. This they did although muttering 'But we always surf here' which elicited my response 'Then you've always broken the law' Naturally, by the time we got back to the car another set of illiterate kite surfers had started to use the area. I'll think twice about going there again since a) I might have a heart attack and b) it's only a matter of time before I get thumped!

On a happier note I also discovered that a free 144pp booklet and leaflet/map (see below) called ''Birds from the Coast of Trafalgar" was available from the Natural Park information office in Barbate (this office is poorly signposted and skillfully hidden within Barbate docks - not the one near the beach in Barbate itself). A useful little book it is too giving up o date info on the birdlife and suggesting a route off La Janda I always thought was strictly private (see map below). It also suggested, albeit vaguely, another area to look for Rufous Bushchat. Well worth getting ... after all it's very good value!

Finally, I'll reviewing and updating my notes again over the next couple of weeks so any comments/updates would be useful!

Attachments

• Trafalgar Birds 4.jpg
    Trafalgar Birds 4.jpg
    336.8 KB · Views: 52
Lagunas del Puerto de Santa Maria

A site I was pleased to have a closer look at this spring was Lagunas del Puerto de Santa Maria - and note that I've got the title of the place correct this time! It's such a mouthful that I usually call it 'Lagunas de Santa Maria', but this isn't strictly correct! Another slice of information that I discovered wasn't 'strictly correct' was that it was OK to drive along the track running along the eastern edge of Laguna Juncosa (a - see map). We tried it, but were very pleasantly, but firmly, told that it was private. However, I suspect that birders walking along the track might be tolerated. The road along the side of the canal is still marked as 'No Entry', but as before this seems to be generally ignored by locals. I also found that the track from Exit 464 to Laguna del Hato Carne is signposted as a 'camino particular' (i.e. private road) although the sign is very small and easily missed. The other track seemed to have no such restriction although it got pretty after a small finca at the top of the hill.

When wet the Laguna del Hato Carne is, by area, the largest of these lagunas, but it is very shallow and more often than not dry. The lack of vegetation around the laguna indicates this although it may also reflect a high level of salinity. Since March 2013 was one of the wettest on record, this photo probably indicates the laguna at its greatest extent. As the track down from a small finca (see map) was rather rough and time was pressing, I scanned the laguna from afar by 'scope. The few birds I could see included a handful of Flamingos, thin scattering of Black-winged Stilt around the margin and a few Collared Pratincoles flying over. It's probably not worth getting much closer given the wealth of more accessible similar habitats, but it was good to satisfy my curiosity about this laguna.

If Laguna del Hato Carne was rather disappointing, Laguna Juncosa couldn't have been better. Usually clogged with a dense growth of juncus reeds, this spring it was a superb open water packed with birds. Waterfowl including Pochard, Red-crested Pochard, Gadwall, Shoveller and a handful of White-headed Duck, Dabchick and a couple of dozen gorgeous Black-necked Grebe cruised amongst the reeds, everywhere you looked Purple Gallinule strutted amongst the reeds and, best of all a Crested Coot - my first at this complex - drifted out of the reeds. In fact, this miniscule laguna had far more of interest than Laguna de Medina!

Laguna Salada is the larger of the three main lagunas of the nature reserve, but being tucked away into the rolling countryside it's difficult to view. The path is distant and the bushy surroundings make it impossible to view the near shore whilst the further one is too far away to get decent views. Some have walked around the fields on the perimeter of the lake to get a better view, but the 'guardian' here takes a dim view of this strategy! An alternative is to walk several hundred metres along the road following the canal (walk as it's narrow without anywhere to safely pull off. However, views are still distant and unsatisfactory. Another recurrent problem is that the track that runs down to the laguna (and on to Laguna Chica) can be impassably boggy. It was almost so when we visited in April when I got two wet and muddy feet for my pains. After a week or so of sunshine, though, it had dried out by early May. You can reach the shoreline of the laguna where the track forks off to Laguna Chica , but the views are actually worse as a thick growth of tamarisks give a blinkered vista over the water. I've had a variety of ducks here but spotting a Crested Coot, given the range and poor views, would require a lot of luck.

For photos of the site (all too big to download here) see my blog

Attachments

• Lagunas de Santa de maria.png
    Lagunas de Santa de maria.png
    53.7 KB · Views: 56
Birding around Tarifa

This short note deals solely with areas within walking distance to the east of Tarifa. Photos and more details about other sites (inc Playa de los Lances) can be seen on my blog. See also attached map.

The narrow tarmac road off the N340 (accessed only from the direction of Tarifa) towards the Trafico watchpoint (a) still has notices warning that it’s a military road and access is prohibited. However, for some years a raptor watching viewpoint has operated from behind a large and obvious white villa. This site gets much the same birds as nearby Cazalla, but birds tend, perhaps, to be lower and offer closer views. Hence it can be a good spot for raptor photography. Formerly a restricted military area, until recently the road ended abruptly at a barrier and guardhouse, but now you can drive through the abandoned military base and park above Punta Camorro. The views across towards Africa from here are stunning. Obviously, it’s also good for passing raptors, but keep a sharp eye on migrants here – both Seebohm’s Wheatear and Moussier’s Redstart have turned up in recent years.

Formerly a restricted military area, until recently the road ended abruptly at a barrier and guardhouse, but now you can drive through the abandoned military base and park above Punta Camorro. The views across towards Africa from here are stunning. Having parked near the raptor watching lookout a particularly good option is to walk back down the road past the old guardhouse, but then immediately turn left along a gravel track back towards Tarifa (b). This track passes through some woodland then beside a couple of small houses. On a good day expect dozens of Pied and Spotted Flycatchers plus Wrynecks, Bee-eaters, warblers, etc. The gardens here recently hosted a couple of Common Bulbul. The track then joins a steep path which takes you down to a small wooden bridge from which you can either climb back up to where you left your car or along the coastal footpath (c - Colada de la Costa). The latter takes you either back towards Tarifa (c1 km) or east towards Guadalmesi (c8km). Although not ideally sited for seawatching with suitable onshore winds you can see Gannets, shearwaters (mainly Cory’s & Balearic), skuas (mainly Great) and gulls (inc. Audouin’s). The track then joins a steep path which takes you down to a small wooden bridge from which you can either climb back up to where you left your car or along the coastal footpath (c - Colada de la Costa). The latter takes you either back towards Tarifa (c1 km) or east towards Guadalmesi (c8km). Although not ideally sited for seawatching with suitable onshore winds you can see Gannets, shearwaters (mainly Cory’s & Balearic), skuas (mainly Great) and gulls (inc. Audouin’s).

Attachments

• Tarifa Trafic 2.png
    Tarifa Trafic 2.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 48
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back