• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BOU List - American Little Tern (1 Viewer)

Colin

Axeman (Retired)
England
I have just been looking through the BOU List to update my Collins guide with the new scientific names for some species. Whilst going through the list, I noted that American Little Tern or Least Tern - Sterna antillarum but now Sternula antillarum was not on the list. Just in case it was out of order somewhere, I did a 'find on this page' for all sorts of possibilities and did not find. The Collins guide suggests that a bird was present in the years 1983 to 1992 and these sightings may have been the same bird over several years. Presumably it was not accepted or is it an error that it is not in the list? Can anyone enlighten me or have I missed something?

Had forgotten about 'squeaker'....not that i went for it!
[I was always a bit concerned about the 'definite' ID....using sonograms] etc...:smoke:

S antillarum Least Tern is recognised as a species by IOC, BLI, Dickinson 2003 (H&M3), Cornell/Clements, HBW, AOU, ABA and Dutch Birding, but not by BOU.

But the BOU British List (7th edition, 2006) includes the 1983-1992 individual as S albifrons Little Tern, race undetermined but of the antillarum/athalossos/browni group:
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/fulltext/118619822/PDFSTART

So if/when BOU accepts the split, it should be an automatic armchair tick for any who saw it.

Richard

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back