• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Compact Binoculars Upgrade? (1 Viewer)

dougan

I like to carry a lightweight pair of binoculars when I go on walks/hikes, mainly for bird spotting. I presently have a pair of Hawke Endurance ED 8x25, which I find pretty good, I do feel the image quality could be a bit sharper, but for what they cost, I can not be too critical.

My question is, would upgrading to the Kowa BD 8x25 or even the Zeiss Terra ED 8x25, bring a noticeable improvement over the Hawkes?

I like to carry a lightweight pair of binoculars when I go on walks/hikes, mainly for bird spotting. I presently have a pair of Hawke Endurance ED 8x25, which I find pretty good, I do feel the image quality could be a bit sharper, but for what they cost, I can not be too critical.

My question is, would upgrading to the Kowa BD 8x25 or even the Zeiss Terra ED 8x25, bring a noticeable improvement over the Hawkes?
The Kowa or Zeiss would give a noticeable improvement over the Hawkes if you want to stay with a compact. But Joachim is correct above in saying if you are willing to carry a little more weight, an 8x30 will be a significant jump in performance for less money than going to an alpha 8x25 like the Zeiss Victory. You can get the Nikon M7 8x30 for around $350 which isn't much more than the Zeiss Terra or Kowa BD. It depends on how important compactness is to you.

The Kowa and Zeiss are double the price of your Hawke so it is fair to expect a "noticeable improvement" in sharpness. However I agree with Joachim that an 8x30/32 would be an even better upgrade. Versus your Hawke, you will get easier eye placement (bigger exit pupil), wider field of view (8° is typical), faster deployment (single hinge) and possibly more stability (from the slightly increased weight).

Options like the Nikon M7 8x30, Opticron Traveller 8x32 etc all weigh around 450g. Too big for pockets, but fine around the neck or on a harness, or in a waist/chest pouch. If you do not require minimum weight, I think an 8x30/32 is a better upgrade than a "better" 8x25.

Go 2nd hand Alpha if funds are being stretched, from a reputable dealer, not Ebay!!
CL 8x25
Victory 8x25
Or if you want really small, Leica's 8x20's..... both trinovids and Ultravids are very good indeed.
That way you will definately see an improvement.

I like the look of the kowa bd 8x25's not tried a pair so would be interested to know how they fair in the field as well.

Nice to have something for bike rides although I already have an opticron 10x42 bga monocular that has done good service for that purpose. Always a trade off between a monocular with a decent sized objective and a pocket bino. I've tended towards the monocular due to its better all round performance due to the larger objective but ergonomically they can be a bit problematic to get a steady view in my experience - I've been using it a few years. Maybe an image stabilised mono's the way forward, either way I'd like to hear opinions on the kowa.

I think a big jump for you would be a Leica 8x20, either Trinovid or Ultravid. The Trinovid is less expensive but still very good.

Go 2nd hand Alpha if funds are being stretched, from a reputable dealer, not Ebay!!
CL 8x25
Victory 8x25
Or if you want really small, Leica's 8x20's..... both trinovids and Ultravids are very good indeed.
That way you will definately see an improvement.
Viking had a few pairs of Swarovski CL 8x25s at a good price - ex-demo models serviced by Swarovski - I think about £450 for as new, and £430 for minor cosmetic marks - if you can stretch that far they're great binoculars.

I recently got a new Monarch M7 8x30 and really enjoy the view. I wanted a lighter pair when i'm out with my camera and tele lens. The M7 ticks all the boxes. Lightweight, super sharp in the center, great build quality and ergonomics.
I had the same thoughts and wanted to buy a CL 8x25 but was unsure about the smaller exit pupil and the double hinge. All in all i'm happy that i didnt spend much more for a second pair to my HG 8x42.

How about an Opticron Traveller BGA ED 8x32? It is about the size and weight of an M7, and it is a 32 mm, so eye placement would be easier with the bigger exit pupil, many have said glare control is better than the M7, it would be a little brighter and the armour is superior. The price is about the same as the M7.

...if you want really small, Leica's 8x20's..... both trinovids and Ultravids are very good indeed.
That way you will definitely see an improvement.
Just got my Trinovid version today and I haven't been able to discern much (if any) viewing difference with my Ultravids. They've both great and very minimalist in size. Not as easy to view through as my 8x32 binoculars, but the more I use them, the easier it gets and they will be seeing a lot of use.

Another option (not necessarily for this member) is going with the excellent Monovid. Same magnification, and no stereo view, but it's very fast to get to view with only one eye to line up, and compact enough that I've been carrying one in my pants pocket.

If you go down the 8x30 route, these may be of interest. My preference is the Opticron Traveller, which I find delivers an image which surpasses its diminutive size...

Not sure on what your budget is, but I would recommend the Leica Ultravid 8x20 BR. Online, you can get these brand new for just under £500.

I got the Ultravid 8x20 BR in January, and they have been in my pocket every time I have been out walking since. They have blew me away by their diminutive size, their pin sharp optics, and surprisingly their low light performance (which was a thing I was a little concerned about, after reading some small objective lenses can struggle in low light). I really could not be happier with them.

I primarily got the Ultravid's as I wanted a take anywhere in my pocket pair of binoculars, and these things are very small.

I followed the advice off of a thread on here about making them even more pocket friendly by using one of the micro fibre bags that come with some sunglasses/spectacles.

I've provided the link to the above mentioned thread in case it's of interest to you:
Leica Ultravid 8x20 BR low profile pouch

Here's a link to a post of mine, showing the Ultravid's in the low profile sunglasses pouch:
My post

Many thanks for all your comments, much appreciated!
It appears that a 30mm object lens seems to be the way to go, I should be able to cope with the extra size and weight!

The Opticron Traveller and Nikon M7 8x30 seem to fit the bill. I can get the Opticron's for £320, about my budget, where the Nikon's
are £100 more expensive and slightly bigger in size, would the Nikon's be a 25% improvement over the Traveller's?

Many thanks for all your comments, much appreciated!
It appears that a 30mm object lens seems to be the way to go, I should be able to cope with the extra size and weight!

The Opticron Traveller and Nikon M7 8x30 seem to fit the bill. I can get the Opticron's for £320, about my budget, where the Nikon's
are £100 more expensive and slightly bigger in size, would the Nikon's be a 25% improvement over the Traveller's?
I doubt there is much to choose between them optically or in terms of build quality at that price, if you can try them out, often handling is as much a differentiator. Both have good reputations as budget binoculars.

Thanks Richard.
Living in rural North Devon there are no where locally to try any, may have to have a trip to Exeter!

I can't comment on the "new" Nikon M7 8x30, but I had 2 units of the previous Nikon Monarch 7 8x30, which I really liked, but when I got the Opticron Traveller ED 8x32 I settled for it because I found it to be a little more comfortable, better finished (I find the armour far superior and seems to hold up better) and stray light is also a little better (although I could also see a difference between my 2 units of Monarch 7 8x30). So, I'd say that, even for the same price, I'd take the Traveller over the old Monarch 7. But then, I don't know how much of an improvement the M7 is over its previous version. If they have made some serious improvements, then the price might be justified, but if you live in the UK, I think Opticron can be a great option (also warranty-wise).

I can't comment on the "new" Nikon M7 8x30, but I had 2 units of the previous Nikon Monarch 7 8x30, which I really liked, but when I got the Opticron Traveller ED 8x32 I settled for it because I found it to be a little more comfortable, better finished (I find the armour far superior and seems to hold up better) and stray light is also a little better (although I could also see a difference between my 2 units of Monarch 7 8x30). So, I'd say that, even for the same price, I'd take the Traveller over the old Monarch 7. But then, I don't know how much of an improvement the M7 is over its previous version. If they have made some serious improvements, then the price might be justified, but if you live in the UK, I think Opticron can be a great option (also warranty-wise).

The new M7 is much better in fit and finish than the old one. I‘m very picky but mine is perfect, the focus is so smooth, better than on my HG and the armour is perfect, I had the old monarch 7 before and sold it because I wasn’t happy with the build quality. I didn’t test the Traveller but I bet none of both would be the wrong decision. I would take the cheaper one and be happy.

@Felixtheelix I'm very curious about the M7 (and M7+, whatever that is). Now that you mention focus action. There's one thing that amazes me of Nikon in general and that series in particular, they usually get focus so right, even in moderately priced models. Sometimes you try binoculars costing a lot more and wonder why can't they all be like the Monarch 7 (same can be said about the Traveller, terrific focus wheel: no play, perfect and no signs of anything going wrong after quite a lot of use). This is something worth noting.

The rubber armour on the Monarch 7 was indeed a weak point, it was a bit loose at points (somehow like when you buy a shirt that is a size too big for you), the Traveller are so much better there. Besides, the Traveller have unscrewable eyecups (which can make cleaning a bit easier) and little better quality overall. I agree with you, both the Monarch 7 and the Traveller are great options. I use my Traveller several times a week (it's on the handlebar bag of my daily bike) and every single time I use it I'm amazed by the performance given its weight, size and price. I think it's just a winning package.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back