• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Death Of The Alpha? (12 Viewers)

Hi Gunny you must have missed the latest episode in the ZenRay lack of response story: they have awakened and replied on here and are taking care of that repair.

As for the alphas, I think they are still the masterpiecs and marvels they always have been but for sure the mid-priced bins are running rings around them now for value for money.

Lee
"Mid-priced bins are running rings around them now for value for money."

I never thought you would admit that!o:)

I'm with Jerry on this - one of the reasons the alphas do cost more is their workshop/repair facilities, sometimes in multiple countries. I think the 'throwaway and replace' notion is more likely in those companies that do not support their customers in this way
But alpha's are getting more throw away all the time. It is true they don't bother repairing them all the time. It is cheaper to replace them.

Obviously - and continuing the auto comparison - some repairs may be more costly to undertake than to replace. Any economically effective organisation is likely to take that approach. Thus, some will be repaired, and some replaced, but that is likely to be for a solid financial reason than any company strategy on the part of the alphas, or anyone else for that matter. Motor insurance companies 'write-off' at a lower and lower level as parts and labour become more expensive at dealers for the same reason.
The optics purportedly thrown into the bin are going to be dogs of the first water!

"Mid-priced bins are running rings around them now for value for money."

I never thought you would admit that!o:)

Thats because you don't read my posts, you skim over them and half the time use your imagination rather than your eyes.

How many times do I have to tell you that my Conquest 8x32 is one of my all time fave bins, and how much I respect Meopta and Kowa bins?

Lee

Last edited:
Iv seen a lot of demos and open box [display,returns??] models....but dont recall any factory refurbished..???....:smoke:

I don't either Gunny and in my local photographic store I never see refurbished Canon or Nikon stuff either, but when my brother-in-law goes to the big photographic trade show every year there are a couple of booths there selling nothing but these factory refurbs. Don't see why that can't happen with sports optics.

Lee

Why is strange that there are not many refurbished bins on offer? Binoculars that can be repaired, are repaired. Those that cannot be repaired (with reasonable efforts) are replaced. In both cases there is nothing left that can be refurbished...

Thats because you don't read my posts, you skim over them and half the time use your imagination rather than your eyes.

How many times do I have to tell you that my Conquest 8x32 is one of my all time fave bins, and how much I respect Meopta and Kowa bins?

Lee
Yes. But I have never heard you express it in that way. "Running Rings around them" to me is a little different than liking them or using them. It is more extreme or emphatic. I do read all your posts and value your input a lot.

I would say Tract's and Maven's are just like Toyota and Leica and Zeiss are the Mercedes of the binocular world.

Everyone knows Toyota, you can buy a Toyota in every country of the world and Toyota is the global market leader. Tract and Maven are not at all like Toyota. And binoculars are not like cars.

Everyone knows Toyota, you can buy a Toyota in every country of the world and Toyota is the global market leader. Tract and Maven are not at all like Toyota. And binoculars are not like cars.
Binoculars are like cars in that they are a manufactured consumer product that are subject to QA procedures. My point being some countries have a better reputation for producing higher quality products than others. Japan being one of them. China not so. Tract and Maven are like Toyota in that they are made in Japan.

Yes. But I have never heard you express it in that way. "Running Rings around them" to me is a little different than liking them or using them. It is more extreme or emphatic. I do read all your posts and value your input a lot.

Okay, what I spelled out more emphatically this time was regarding value for money and I don't think I have read anything on here that suggests anybody disagrees with the notion that the closer you get to alpha prices the more you encounter diminishing returns. This only a posh or swanky way of saying the middle order runs rings around the alphas for value for money.

But this does not support the idea that alphas are dead or dying because it has always been the case that alphas have been priced way differently from the middle order. I can remember swapping my Swift Audubon for my first Zeiss Dialyt and the guy in the shop looking at the price list for the Zeiss and saying "I have no idea where these people dream up their prices from". But you see I wanted what was regarded as the best at the time and was willing to pay for what was regarded as the best and not another Swift or Ross that might have been better value for money.

No matter how good value the middle order bins become they will not become alphas so folks who want alphas will continue to buy them and other folks that seek the best value will be guided by that. Confused people like me will continue to enjoy both alphas and middle-runners for what they both offer.

Lee

I said it before but without the Alpha`s providing innovation that trickles down, the likes of Tract would`nt be as good as they are, and optical advancement will stagnate.

I said it before but without the Alpha`s providing innovation that trickles down, the likes of Tract would`nt be as good as they are, and optical advancement will stagnate.
I have heard that Kamakura is quite innovative in their own right. They are not just a build to order manufacturing facility. Many of their optical engineers hold many patents for optical inventions so I don't think if we lose a few overpriced alpha manufacturers that binocular progress will stagnate. You will just get more for your money from companies like Tract and Maven and you can count on them being very cutting edge. Many people have an incorrect preconceived idea of what Kamakura does. They can build a binocular just as good as Swarovski or Zeiss or Leica with less overhead so you get the same product for less money.

Last edited:
Okay, what I spelled out more emphatically this time was regarding value for money and I don't think I have read anything on here that suggests anybody disagrees with the notion that the closer you get to alpha prices the more you encounter diminishing returns. This only a posh or swanky way of saying the middle order runs rings around the alphas for value for money.

But this does not support the idea that alphas are dead or dying because it has always been the case that alphas have been priced way differently from the middle order. I can remember swapping my Swift Audubon for my first Zeiss Dialyt and the guy in the shop looking at the price list for the Zeiss and saying "I have no idea where these people dream up their prices from". But you see I wanted what was regarded as the best at the time and was willing to pay for what was regarded as the best and not another Swift or Ross that might have been better value for money.

No matter how good value the middle order bins become they will not become alphas so folks who want alphas will continue to buy them and other folks that seek the best value will be guided by that. Confused people like me will continue to enjoy both alphas and middle-runners for what they both offer.

Lee
My point is these newer Kamakura binoculars are getting so close to alpha performance and quality that for a lot of people they will do everything an alpha will for less money. I predict Nikon's alpha binoculars will be gone within a year followed by Leica then Zeiss and Swarovski unless they become more competitive pricewise.

My point in posting these reviews on the Tract is that there is a similar theme in all of them which is the point of this thread. The point is that a great majority of the people writing feedback on the Tract are saying how close they are to alpha level binoculars and that is exactly my point. That is what really impressed me when I first tried them and compelled me to start a thread on them. They were the first medium priced binoculars that I tried that really are giving the big three a run for their money so to say. I have tried many sub-alpha level binoculars in the past but not until now could I say that about any of them. Because of how close these binoculars are to alphas's for way less money I really feel alpha's are going to lose a lot of market share to them and some brands like Leica and Nikon will get out of the alpha binocular market. Here is the main point in that review.

"I did some research and compared them to all the high priced binoculars and Tract either beat them or was equal to them. "

My point is that without more content, the review you quoted does not carry the weight your post implies. As is, it is another positive point on the trend line. Yes, that in itself is good.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back