• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durability and reliability of Canon IS binoculars (2 Viewers)

Rather than start a new thread I suggest a lash up but workable, inexpensive fix for regrettably deteriorating armor on Canon IS models. After 7 years the armor on my 12x36 IS III began to get sticky and gooey but only in spots where my hands most often come into contact with the armor. I used Dragon Grips grip tape to cover those spots. The tape covers up and adheres well even on the sticky goo armor and provides extra grip as a bonus. This tape also works well to provide extra grip surfaces on pocket knives, tools, and canes so it's versatile and useful for many different applications.

Otherwise my Canons continue to function perfectly after 7 years of fairly frequent use.

Mike
Thank you, Mike: exactly what I was looking for. My 12x36 IS IIs (purchased in 2013) also started getting soft and tacky in parts last year but I didn't know a good fix--this is a good workaround and the bins themselves still work great. (y)

I love my Canon IS bins, to the point where I simply can't look through a conventional glass with much, if any, pleasure. (It's not the point of this thread, but just to clarify for those who might try to correct me, I did a thorough review/comparison of all the best Alpha bins, and the Canon 10x42 was by far the best).
I bought a backup pair for my wife of the 10x32s. I do a lot of cycling and have some Zeiss pockets for that purpose, but I'd like to bring the lightweight 10x32 Canons. My fear is that exposing them to all of that vibration (while riding in my handlebar bag) might be risky. After all there are a lot of complex mechanisms in there. On the other hand, walking and hiking about with them is also subjecting them to much shock and vibrations.
Any thoughts or experience with this? Googling around for "durability of IS bins" hasn't helped much. Should I be concerned about them bouncing around on my bike while I ride? If anyone has any references to tests or studies, or personal experience, I would appreciate it.

I bought canon IS 10x30 in 1998 from B&H. Still works almost as new. Problems were and are small focus knob which allows narrow ipd. Rubber folding eyecups are too short. Fragile battery cover. A bit dim. Not waterproof. Awkward to hold. I added oversized rubber eyecups to extend length. Not rugged, of course. Plastic body has not rotted. Focus is a bit stiffer.

I love my Canon IS bins, to the point where I simply can't look through a conventional glass with much, if any, pleasure. (It's not the point of this thread, but just to clarify for those who might try to correct me, I did a thorough review/comparison of all the best Alpha bins, and the Canon 10x42 was by far the best).
I bought a backup pair for my wife of the 10x32s. I do a lot of cycling and have some Zeiss pockets for that purpose, but I'd like to bring the lightweight 10x32 Canons. My fear is that exposing them to all of that vibration (while riding in my handlebar bag) might be risky. After all there are a lot of complex mechanisms in there. On the other hand, walking and hiking about with them is also subjecting them to much shock and vibrations.
Any thoughts or experience with this? Googling around for "durability of IS bins" hasn't helped much. Should I be concerned about them bouncing around on my bike while I ride? If anyone has any references to tests or studies, or personal experience, I would appreciate it.
Not authoritative, but as long as you cushion the glass a bit when in the handlebar bag, you should have no trouble. Just avoid impacts, they can hurt.

Yes. My Canon 10x42L ruined all my non-stabilized binoculars for the longest time. I couldn’t imagine picking a non-stabilized bino up.

However, I found that my Porros have an advantage. When I am hunting, I need to scan large areas to find animals. The Steiner 7x50s are far superior to a roof for this. No need to fiddle with the focus. Set it once and leave it alone. I don’t need to study the animal, just find it.

Handheld use:

IS - when I want to study something

Non IS porro - when I want to locate something

The Canons are porros but the 7x magnification has a better depth of focus so I think that is the effect you're seeing (if there was a stabilized 7x Canon it would work the same way). One reason my 7x30 Komz is one of my favourite binos for a quick glance at ships going by. It's set to be sharp (for my eyes at least) from 20 meters to the stars (I sometimes use it for star gazing).

The Canons are porros but the 7x magnification has a better depth of focus so I think that is the effect you're seeing (if there was a stabilized 7x Canon it would work the same way). One reason my 7x30 Komz is one of my favourite binos for a quick glance at ships going by. It's set to be sharp (for my eyes at least) from 20 meters to the stars (I sometimes use it for star gazing).
Your analysis would apply if you were comparing two focusable binos, say a 7x and a 10x. However, the Steiner the fellow has lacks a central focus wheel. One sets focus via both the eyepieces and then (almost) never touches them again.

Steiner has a fancy name for this system. I’m thinking it’s actually an old way of focusing binos (could be wrong), but works great in certain applications.

Edit: it appears your 7x30 Komz uses the same type of focusing system as the Steiners.

Basically, your eye focuses the image vs using the focus wheel in a typical bino. Not great for birding in the forest (too much in focus or you eye strains to focus) but awesome for scanning when hunting or in a military application. Very tough. I own an 8x30 Steiner.

(Sorry I do not the correct terms for these two types of binos).

Last edited:
My 12x36 IS II developed a little stickiness where my fingers rest after ~15 years but still worked fine. The older 10x30 IS my wife owns are still essentially perfect, no stickiness and work as new. As far as I know, the 12x36 are still working fine in their new home, now about 18 years old.

Clear skies, Alan

Bought a pair of 15x45 IS back in 1997. They died on me in 2019. Service was not economical so they are relegated to astronomy on a mount. Optics were and still are excellent.

Just want to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome from those of us on BirdForum!

42za wrote in another thread, summarizing some of the reservations many people have about Canon IS binoculars:

Now, I don't think the need to carry some spare batteries should keep people from using binoculars that rely on batteries (after all, carrying a spare set isn't that difficult ... ;)). I also think the risk of "exploding batteries" is negligible in this case, and modern batteries or rechargeables (like the Sanyo Eneloops) don't leak.

But reliability and durability of stabilised binoculars that are by definition more complex than "muggle binoculars" (to borrow Kimmo's term for conventional binoculars) are of course legitimate concerns.

So, what is the reliability and durability of Canon IS binoculars like? And if there are failures - when do they occur? In what conditions? What exactly fails - does the stabiliser fail to work? Or is there - in the case of the cheaper models like the 10x30 - some sort of mechanical failure? Do they fog up?

I'd quite like to know what users' experiences with these binoculars are, both good and bad.

Hermann
hello from sunny thailand.
i like maven binoculars. they are waterproof light weight and great customer service. japanese optics, american made. i live on a lake and do most of my bird watching from a kayak. incredible til they go overboard. pull them up and dry them off, no prob.
have a great springtime
khundick

hello from sunny thailand.
i like maven binoculars. they are waterproof light weight and great customer service. japanese optics, american made. i live on a lake and do most of my bird watching from a kayak. incredible til they go overboard. pull them up and dry them off, no prob.
have a great springtime
khundick
Just want to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome from those of us on BirdForum!
this forum is fantastic. feels great to be here.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back