• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2015 (1 Viewer)

Wow! 6 species of Woodpeckers, 7 species of Tits etc. Where else at this ball you can see such a variety of W's & T's? Maybe in North America? Larry, how many Woodpeckers you have seen at your garden? (I have only one...:-C )

Good morning, Dan

Enjoy your time in France.. Hopefully the posse won't bite ;);)

Look forward to reading about what you see over there,

Best wishes, Carol :gh::gh:

ps being a relative newbie to birding , I am still getting to grips with identification ( please bear with me folks..) , so please could you clarify what is in your pics, thank you :)

I´m quite newbie too, but I guessing Black Redstart (femme) and Chiffchaff?

Wow! 6 species of Woodpeckers

Last winter, on a good day I could get 7 species without leaving my veranda :t: (no Three-toed Woodpecker this winter).

Never managed to get all on the same day (again Three-toed departed before the relevant date), but Wryneck breeds in the nestboxes, so same window did manage 8 species within about a month.

Great selection there Jos - love the fact you have 7/8 species of Woodpeckers.

Wish we had that many species in the UK :t:

Regards
Kathy
x

No new birds at my garden. But something in the sky that I haven't never seen from my garden.

Bad photo but maybe you got the picture...

Attachments

• revontulet.jpg
    revontulet.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 45
In our yard we have had six (6) species of woodpeckers.
Red-headed Woodpecker, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Downy Woodpecker, Hairy Woodpecker and Northern Flicker.

*We have lived here for 43 years. In that time we have had 141 species of bird visit our yard.

:gh: :gh:
No new birds at my garden. But something in the sky that I haven't never seen from my garden.

Bad photo but maybe you got the picture...
How nice for you.... My husband and I once took a 4 day holiday to Iceland in 2006, to see the Northern Lights...but sadly we were not lucky...so it still remains something on our bucket list ...

Red-headed Woodpecker, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Downy Woodpecker, Hairy Woodpecker and Northern Flicker.

*We have lived here for 43 years. In that time we have had 141 species of bird visit our yard.
How nice Larry...we regularly get green woodpeckers in our garden.. male , female and even a juvenile one year.. we see them every year and frequently, as there is an old orchard under our lawn, which had been removed when we moved here in 2001, but the stumps still remain below the lawn..so great for ant foraging ... 43 years is a very long time to live in one place...
Best wishes for your continued recovery , Carol

Is that in the yard Larry? :eek!:

Thats amazing! Only 45 species less than I have seen whole Finland :eek!:

My alltime (we have lived this house since 2010) garden list is now 60.

Good morning All,

Up at 6.30am this morning.... enjoyed listening to the birds calling and singing and a pecker drumming. I am still learning the calls.

Found a third mallard nest, in one of our beds ( inside what looks like a wigwam structure, made from garden materials.. clever, well camouflaged ..only realised as I saw movement within the structure) .Our garden is never pristine, so good for wildlife) .

Had a male hare through the garden and watched another pair in the field, with a fourth male being chased off)

These are the new birds that I saw :

18 Robin
19 Blue Tit
20 Pair Greenfinches

Various other things flew over, which I a not yet experienced enough to identify... I find the gulls especially hard..

The solar eclipse should be c 83% here, but , although dry, but chilly, it is completely covered over with cloud.

Hope you manage to see more than I am likely to ....

Best wishes, Carol :-O:-O:-O

Last edited:
Haven't been keeping a garden list but while I was performing some bike maintenence yesterday morning I saw 4 jays fly over the garden. Which is a new tick for home. Most others were heard, linnet, skylark, fieldfare and what sounded like a lone pink footed goose.

It's déjà vu all over again as they say:
Last year there was a movement of migrating Woodpigeons on 17 March, this year they're three days later, over 750 flew north in 50 minutes at lunchtime. And just like last year, there was at least one:

49 Stock Dove

sneaking through with them!

Later on the first:

50 Common Kestrel

migrating north in a hurry.
Great total for your garden/yard Larry, I was just reading in April's American 'Birdwatching' magazine about Jim Stevenson who lives on the Texas coast, his Garden List stands at 318 :eek!:
No messing about peering through the bedroom window for him, he built an observation deck on his roof, that's serious stuff!

Last edited:
It's déjà vu all over again as they say:
Last year there was a movement of migrating Woodpigeons on 17 March, this year they're three days later, over 750 flew north in 50 minutes at lunchtime. And just like last year, there was at least one:

49 Stock Dove

sneaking through with them!

Later on the first:

50 Common Kestrel

migrating north in a hurry.
Great total for your garden/yard Larry, I was just reading in April's American 'Birdwatching' magazine about Jim Stevenson who lives on the Texas coast, his Garden List stands at 318 :eek!:
No messing about peering through the bedroom window for him, he built an observation deck on his roof, that's serious stuff!

Are you sure you didnt move to that part of les Alpes especially so you could see so many migrating birds and also to pop over into switzerland so easily .

I'm amazed some days of the species and amounts some of you see in and around your gardens ,including Jos with so many different woodpeckers and Larrys list .

Are you sure you didnt move to that part of les Alpes especially so you could see so many migrating birds and also to pop over into switzerland so easily .

No Brenda, it just hapens to be where my wife comes from and handy for her work - But I must admit, with the birds, and Swiss chocolate, it's a marriage made in heaven :t:

I don't know how Larry attracts the birds to his yard, but there's a rumour that Jos spends an amount on bird seed equivalent to the Greek national debt ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back