• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grafham Water (2 Viewers)

Grafham 25 Nov 2023; finally the Purple Sandpiper returned to the dam early afternoon and showed very well until dark. As always the light is terrible in the afternoon so much experimenting needed with the camera settings. Nice to see an inland bird since first finding one at Pitsford Reservoir in Dec 1976 when the birding world was a very different place....AU0I8054c1.JPG

Grafham 23 Dec 2023; Great Northern Diver still mid morning around the valve tower off Hill Farm. Peregrine still present.
Very low water now so plenty of daytime gull roosting areas.

Grafham 26 Dec 2023; Great Northern Diver watched for an extended period early morning off Hill Farm though way beyond telephoto range; it flew several circuits of the NW corner before ending up distantly off the western shore. Also seen again in the gull roost at dusk. The 2 Bewick's Swans were off Savages creek. The current resident Caspian type gull again in the Valley Creek daytime gull roost, rather short legged and with brown eye, possibly a hybrid as must many of them be I suspect.
A Boxing Day bonus was finally getting reasonable photos after many months of the 'leucistic type' Grey Heron; a wary bird and always distant.

AU0I9030c1.JPG

Grafham 1 Jan 2024; the usual suspects first.....
The Great Northern Diver was still around the valve tower off Hill Farm in the morning and later much further towards Mander Carpark. The 2 Bewick's were still present around Savages entrance. The 3y Caspian type gull showed very well off the Mander carpark, it will eat a whole sandwich given a chance.
Now the tricky one; a small juv/1st W gull in the gull roost off Mander carpark at 15:45- 16:00. Was with Common Gulls, and clearly smaller, overall very dark and had a obvious dark hood pattern, with paler collar. Got up and flew with the common gulls and lost past the sailing club. Initally considered a Little Gull but flight wasn't right and the all dark wings with white trailing edge were wrong too. Features are all pointing towards a Franklin's Gull 1st Winter. It was watched by two of us and hopefully it will return allowing better views.
We were actually chasing an odd dark mantled 'herring' type gull initially; that one got away while we concentrated on the small gull....

Edit
Forgot the Pink-footed Goose that appeared late afternoon off Mander and then flew east; a scarce one here. Will add his picture shortly.AU0I9772c1.JPG

Last edited:
Grafham 7 Jan 2024; Great Northern Diver still off Hill Farm distantly from Mander Carpark and the two Bewick's still.
The regular Caspian Gull 3w watched for over an hour feeding on a fish off Plummer Carpark allowing close photos. Two Mediterranean Gulls in the afternoon roost with a 2w showing well.AU0I0217c1.JPGAU0I0015c1.JPG

Grafham 13 Jan 2024; the above Caspian gull in front of Mander carpark late afternoon and the Great Northern Diver between entrance to Savages Creek and Hill Farm. Interested to see if the reported Green-winged Teal is the returning individual as has been missing for several weeks.

Grafham 21 Jan 2024: Peregrine, Raven and Mediterranean Gull in addition to yesterday.

Eight species of gull in the roost in Valley Creek this evening; you can play Where's Wally with the Med Gull....
AU0I0896a1.JPG

Grafham 27 Jan 2023; all the usual suspects still present. Bewick's 2, GND 1, Caspian Gull 1 , and Green-winged Teal still from Plummer carpark in the morning.
A male Marsh Harrier and two Ringed Plovers the most exciting new birds of the year. Water now very low.

Grafham 3 Feb 2024; the Great Northern Diver off the dam but staying well out from the shore maybe due to the continuous presence of free running dogs entering the water around the entire 9 miles of shoreline.

Grafham 4 Feb 2024: the Green-winged Teal was back at the southern end of the dam, the original location. This place allows close viewing without disturbing the birds. The Great Northern Diver remained distant.....AU0I1414c1.JPG

Grafham 10 Feb 2024; the Green-winged Teal still present at Plummer late morning; (the Stanwick bird reported at the same time). Two 3w Caspian Gulls together with Herring gulls on Plummer point.
A lucky Brent Goose flew in at dusk in front of the fishing lodgeAU0I1549c1.jpeg

Grafham 30 Mar 2024; one of the two Ospreys watched fishing at 08:30 at the NW end from the dam. Another view again at 16:00 when appeared to stay in savages creek. A Little Gull and Med Gull off Plummer Point in the afternoon. Yellow Wagtail on the dam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back