• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Having 2 pairs of binoculars. Which would you choose? (6 Viewers)

Two is difficult but three is easy. Big, medium and small. for example 7x21, 8x32 and 10x42-56.

My current lineup:
7x21 Curio
8x30 Companion
10x40 Habicht

The two smaller are 90 % of my use but sometimes at a bird tower longer reach is nice and size is not an issue. So if I had to choose only two, it would be small and medium sizes and lower magnifications. If the choice was about money, I would invest in these sizes first as quality matters more. Especially in the very small category only Curio has been good enough to be useful. On the bigger end it’s easy to find rather good old porros for very little money.

I went for the 8x42 and 10x32 combo. In that combination I have a lighter 10x for birdwatching in daylight (90%) and a larger exit pupil (5.25) for dimlight.

However, I was not satisfied and added a 12x50 for longer ranges and also useable in dimlight and a 8x20 as a pocket bin.

Still not really satisfied (it's a tough virus) because I have the feeling I am missing a porro, so I will probably add an Habicht 8x30 in the near future as it also considerably lighter than my 10x32.

It's funny, I own a half-dozen nice bins and thought that diff ones would serve different needs. I like them all (and liked the ones i've 'let go') because I've always liked fine optics. But in reality I want ONE pair that makes me happy. For me that's a lightweight (nix the 8x42NV), relatively compact (nix the 8x42SF), excellent IQ design with reasonable brightness (nix anything smaller than 8x30) and wide-enough field. The need for an extra 15min of 'light' at end of day is low priority. Yes, there are times - such as coastal or marsh birding or hawkwatch - where something 'specialized' (e.g. a 10x) is useful, but even then I'm happiest with my go-to binocs.

But in reality I want ONE pair that makes me happy. For me that's a lightweight (nix the 8x42NV), relatively compact (nix the 8x42SF), excellent IQ design with reasonable brightness (nix anything smaller than 8x30) and wide-enough field. The need for an extra 15min of 'light' at end of day is low priority.
Leica Ultravid 8x32? Or Victory FL 8x32 perhaps?

Leica Ultravid 8x32? Or Victory FL 8x32 perhaps?
Interesting... I've avoided 8x32UV only because of ER (I wear specs) but I did end up with a nice 8x32FL and have been grabbing them most often. That said, the view is not quite as 'big' (how it feels, not the FOV) as some newer designs, so I'm conflicted and sometimes grab 8x40SFL. The latter are in truth, the ones that tick all the boxes except that they are bulkier than smaller format bins (like the FL's and of course 30's). I've come close to trying 8x32SF's but hesitant to lose more money on buy/sell cycle :-(
As far as IQ I remain loyal to Leica and the 7x35's are everything I need... but. I think I'd miss the extra magnification and although rationally I know they are plenty sturdy enough, I'm hesitant to take them, say, into a tropical forest. I wish Leica would announce an 8x32NV!

It's interesting... this thread has made me think about my choices. If I refrain from thread drift and have to pick TWO, then I'd chose different ends of spectrum. I'd say 8x42NV and maybe 8x30SFL? One for regular birding and one 'for the pocket'? But there's the rub - I don't use my NV often (standard big bin weight) and the 30's are a little... dunno. Not as forgiving? So if I picked two, I'd be less content than if I picked one - which is a compromise.

Mebbe I'm weird and others have a quiver from which to pick - and actually use it?

PS I own 8x20Trinovid and frankly, they're too small. I guess maybe if I was back in Himalayas at altitude and humping a load, then I'd take them just because I'd be literally counting grams...

Interesting... I've avoided 8x32UV only because of ER (I wear specs) but I did end up with a nice 8x32FL and have been grabbing them most often. That said, the view is not quite as 'big' (how it feels, not the FOV) as some newer designs, so I'm conflicted and sometimes grab 8x40SFL. The latter are in truth, the ones that tick all the boxes except that they are bulkier than smaller format bins (like the FL's and of course 30's). I've come close to trying 8x32SF's but hesitant to lose more money on buy/sell cycle :-(
As far as IQ I remain loyal to Leica and the 7x35's are everything I need... but. I think I'd miss the extra magnification and although rationally I know they are plenty sturdy enough, I'm hesitant to take them, say, into a tropical forest. I wish Leica would announce an 8x32NV!
Sounds like you’re describing a Swaro 8x32EL, might check all the boxes. Although if you like the SFL and FL, id really be surprised if you didn’t like the SF. The SF 8x32 is the biggest of the 32’s , but it’s light. Between the EL and SF 32, the trade off becomes size and FOV differences. But to tell you the truth, I don’t really notice the FOV difference much and all.

im with you on the 7x retros. As far as the Nocs in 32, I was led to believe by a Leica rep that it was in the works last year, I’m not holding my breath anymore.

Happy Holidays
Paul

Attachments

• IMG_7032.png
    IMG_7032.png
    6.2 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_7033.png
    IMG_7033.png
    6.3 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_7034.png
    IMG_7034.png
    6 MB · Views: 26
Seems like the 8x40 SFL should cover the 40/42 range if Nocs are to heavy, and EL might be a good pairing.

Happy holidays
Paul

MiddleRiver,

It's interesting... this thread has made me think about my choices. If I refrain from thread drift and have to pick TWO, then I'd chose different ends of spectrum.
Nice, accurate turn of phrase on both counts. To decide on "just two" I like your concept of choosing "different ends of the spectrum". If someone gets along with a pocket model, then a small pocket paired with a full size 4+ EP model would make a lot of sense including an EDC bin and usually allowing to travel with both at little increase in bulk and weight for packing. If a pocket won't work for whatever reason, I would go with a 7x42 and a compact 10x32.

Mike

I will get the 10x32 and 12x42. Been using 8x32 for years and when I tested the 10x32, I found the 8x32 were not delivering the power that I need sometimes. Had the 10x42 as well for few years and I tried the 12x42, OMG, the latter became obsolete for my eyes and my need. This were mainly with Swarovski EL and NL models

*the former became obsolete

If you could only have two pairs of binoculars. Which two would you chose to cover up all your needs? If you still would miss something, you may choose a third. But there must be a good reason for it.
I am asking this question myself... Having two pairs already and always said two is enough. But still playing with the idea to add a third one. But where does it stop? Isn't it like, I want more more more... can't you just be satisfied with what you already have? It is not that the money is growing on my back. And even if it does, there are probably better causes.
Just asking myself. Bird and nature watching is my passion, so no problem that is costs something. But can it be covered in two pairs of binoculars and one scope?

Ps. I have 10x32, 8x42 and 17-40x56. But asking myself do I miss a pocket bin, 10x50 or 12 power?

I have two vintage binoculars, that I carry in a case as a "set". One is Zeiss 18 x 50 from 1927, and the other is Zeiss 7 x 50 "gas mask" from 1944.
The optics on both are excellent, and each has its specific attributes.
IMG_1265.JPGIMG_1478.JPG

I will change the title: If you could choose "only" 5 bins... ;)
  1. Swarovski NL Pure 8x42
  2. Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25
  3. Sig-Sauer Zulu6 HDX 20x42 (stabilized)
  4. Zeiss Victory HT 10x54 for astronomy
  5. Leica Ultravid HD 8x42 in leather
I have all of these already except for the HT 10x54 (I have a Leica Ultravid 10x50 instead). On second though, just make it the Nikon WX 10x50...

EL 12x50
NL 10x32
SLC 8x42
Habicht 8x30
Trinovid 8x20

That's what I have at the moment. My only hesitation is that I am a 10x guy and only have one 10x but threen 8's. So I might swap the SLC 8x42 for the SLC 10x56 or Habicht 10x40 GA one day. Or add the CL 10x25, but than it's 6 instead of 5...

1. Swarovski NL Pure 8x42
  2. Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25
  3. Sig-Sauer Zulu6 HDX 20x42 (stabilized)
  4. Zeiss Victory HT 10x54 for astronomy
  5. Leica Ultravid HD 8x42 in leather
I have all of these already except for the HT 10x54 (I have a Leica Ultravid 10x50 instead). On second though, just make it the Nikon WX 10x50...
Why two 8x42's?

Swarovski 10x42 NL
Leica 8x42 Noctivid
Leica 7x42 UVHD
Swarovski 8x32 EL
Bushnell 7x35 FPO Rangemaster.

That’s all I would need for a lifetime of observing, if I could only have five. I’d like to ask what would be the top porros people would choose.

Attachments

• IMG_7171.png
    IMG_7171.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7168.png
    IMG_7168.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7169.png
    IMG_7169.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7170.png
    IMG_7170.png