• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How do old Zeiss Dialyts and Leitz Trinovids stand up? (2 Viewers)

Here we have Jane Goodall with a roof binocular, in the '60s. Do you recognise it?

10q_jane_goodall_01.jpg

I am happy knowing that my Conquest is better than these old binoculars, but, boy, this vintage glass LOOKS GOOD!
Maybe I just grow old and feel nostalgia for images of the past.
Vintage Hensoldt and Leitz and Zeiss and Leica roofs, as well as most unarmoured 8x30 porros, they look so sexy to me.

Last edited:
The binoculars that you ask about are nice collectable instruments, but they do not compare favorably with the fully multicoated/phase coated instruments of today.
A Dialyt or a Leitz from the 1970' or early 1980' will be surpassed optically by almost any $400 roof prism sold today.
Sorry to break the news to you.

I got a new zeiss dialyt 8x56 two years ago,
and it compares favorably with my non SV SW EL 8.5x42
and zeiss 8x32 FL.
The 8x56 is my favorite handheld astronomy binoculars.

edj

A few observations:
I'm in awe of those able to recognize the binoculars from the photos!
I think it's great that the older optics mentioned are not summarily dismissed, but rather given their due and reasonable opinions shared.
Great thread!

Hi,

well in case of the longish roof prism bin with a lot of patina from the sixties it is not that difficult - back in the 50s and before the only roof bins available were the Hensoldt Dialyth series with Abbe Koenig prisms giving them their distinctive longish form.

In 1964 Hensoldt was merged with Zeiss (although the Carl Zeiss Stiftung had a majority in Hensoldt since 1928 they were managed independently before 1964) and the name only used as a trademark mainly for military optics. The Dialyth line was continued until today by Zeiss.

Leitz Trinovid with Upendahl prisms started in 1963.

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back