• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Interesting Optics Trade discussion on where Leica binoculars are made. (1 Viewer)

You can get any quality from China that you want. Problem is only that it will cost more if you want better quality. And who's gonna pay 2,000 $/€ for a Made in China bino even if it was the same quality as a European one?
Almost forgot - there are people willing to spend that much but it's binocular telescopes then. Like the stuff that APM sells.
Agreed, the better quality the higher the price almost always. As far as who’s going to pay $2000 for made in China over a European , very few. But what people will pay for is a $2000 Chinese product that’s better than a $2500 European one. Look how many people here were/are ready to pay for the Zeiss SFLs even if they were made in China.

You must buy a lot of those open box things that get banged around. I had over a half dozen and currently have 4 Swarovski’s, EL’s , NLs (not counting Habicht’s) and every one except one SLC had good focusers. Not always out of the box but with minimal break in. All were excellent. I had tried a German Noc before I bought the Portuguese one I now own. There was literally not one difference at all except, I thought the Portuguese one had a lighter focuser. I tried multiple German Ultravids and I’ve had Portuguese Ultravids that I thought had better focusers. So most will disagree with you based on experience. Only thing we might agree on is anything but China. My opinion is they likely will rule the optics world soon enough.

Considering how many duds you’ve been reviewing, maybe it’s not a bad idea to do some kind of evaluation of where and how to get good samples.
I think you buy, try something, sell it and forget the products quality.

Didn’t you have and say 10x32 NLs were the best of the best alphas, like not to long ago, last month wasn’t it.
According to his post in another thread he has "7x50 Fujinon FMT-SX(Best DOF), 7x42 Habicht, 8x30 Habicht, 8x30 E2, 8x32 BN, 8x32 Sightron". So the 10x32NL's bit the dust at some stage. Of course that list was from 10 days or so ago, so things have probably moved on since then! ;);););)

According to his post in another thread he has "7x50 Fujinon FMT-SX(Best DOF), 7x42 Habicht, 8x30 Habicht, 8x30 E2, 8x32 BN, 8x32 Sightron". So the 10x32NL's bit the dust at some stage. Of course that list was from 10 days or so ago, so things have probably moved on since then! ;);););)
But the 1032s NL’s were the best of the best of the best alpha we can buy. I heard him say that, I did, I did 😜

Yes I...

I had three early Noctivid models, (two 8x42 and one 10x42) all had faulty focusers, one also had a bad adjustment!

The real scandal was that these Portuguese binoculars were labeled with "Made in Germany"???
I immediately sent all three binoculars back to Portugal.

Andreas
Andreas
How did you know the Leica’s marked made in germany were made in Portugal?
Would you consider that the same-thing could’ve happened with German made examples, case in point look at how many problems some of us had with the new SFs, MIG. Also would you consider the possibility that these were early models, working out the bugs.

Paul

Are you sure they were truly Made in Germany? How did they smell? I can smell a German binocular at 50 yards away. They may have been counterfeits.
Lol, I’ll be a son of a gun. Here I thought I could qualify differences or lack there of from visual and tactile inspections. I’ve been leaving out my nose, this is a wake up call. Later today I’m heading over to daughters Highschool football field and laying out all my Portuguese and German binoculars and do the sniff tests. Maybe I should try to start on the 25 yard line until I get the hang of it. 😏

Can you elaborate some, on the smell differences to look for.

Andreas
How did you know the Leica’s marked made in germany were made in Portugal?
Paul, humor "Made in Germany":giggle:

Of course the Noctis were made in Germany which was really surprising, all three had issues with the focuser and that was noticeable.

Actually, such expensive binoculars should be okay from the start, in Germany they say that the bananas ripen at the customer's.

Actually an absurdity...

Andreas

Last edited:
I still feel the NL 10x32 is the best 10x I have ever used, but I have gone back to 7x and 8x for the better DOF, bigger FOV, they are brighter and have a steadier view. I still have 7x42 Habicht, 8x30 Habicht, 8x30 E2, 8x32 BN, 8x32 Sightron and the Noctivid 8x42. I dumped the Fujinon 7x50 FMT-SX because the Habicht 7x42 is actually brighter in low light, and it is better on the night sky with more pin point stars and in real use there is not much difference in FOV and of course the Habicht 7x42 is 1/2 the weight of the Fujinon. It surprised me the Habicht 7x42 is better on the night sky than the Fujinon FMT-SX 7x50 even with the smaller aperture. I could see sharper, more pinpoint stars and more dust lanes in the Orion Nebulae than with the bigger aperture Fujinon. The Habicht star tested perfectly, so it has excellent optics. I wanted a compact for carrying on my bike when I ride the Poudre River Trail birding and I have tried every compact except the Zeiss Terra 8x25 and most are floaters meaning the eye cups are too short for the eye relief, but I decided the Zeiss Victory was the best because it has the biggest FOV, but I tried a Zeiss Terra 8x25 and even though the FOV was smaller it has less eye relief, so it worked better with my shallow eye sockets, and it didn't float as much, and it actually has excellent optics for a compact and I picked it up cheap for $250 new on eBay.

Last edited:
I started investigating where Leica's were made after I sent the Portuguese Noctivid back, and I received the German made Noctivid. It was shocking to me the difference in quality to be honest! So you can say all you want that there is no difference in quality between Portuguese and German made Leica's and I will remain unconvinced because i know from my experience there is.
I understand and can appreciate your experience, but it’s a very limited experience with a very very very small sampling. My experience is direct opposite as well as the majority of the people on this forum that have been buying German and Portuguese Leica‘s. That should be taken into consideration that it could be your samplings. I have two ultravids in my hand right now and if I cover up the labels , you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference at all.

Paul

I believe it was only the Noctivids and Duovids that were recently Made in Germany. The lower end stuff like the Ultravids have been Made in Portugal for years.
No. Wrong I’m afraid. The UV’s were labelled ‘Made in Germany’ as well and that changed at the same time that they changed the labelling of the NV’s

I have had tons of Swarovski's with bad focusers. Many were sticky and had uneven tension in one direction. It is intrinsic to design of the Swarovski focuser because of the spring they use in it. Where have you been? Swarovski's are infamous for their bad focusers. Every SLC I had had a poor focuser except the SLC 8x56. Just search for Swarovski Focuser's on Bird Forum and you will probably find 20 threads pertaining to it. I have had many NIB Swarovski binoculars with bad focusers and I have sent them into Swarovski, and sometimes they came back worse than they were in the beginning! Don't get me going about Swarovski focusers. Even in the NL, I had focuser problems. It started out good, and then it started developing slack and play in it. Here are some threads on NL focuser problems. We will get you up to speed! I still think the NL 10x32 is the best 10x binocular I have ever had, but I personally have difficulty holding 10x steady, and I prefer the better DOF, bigger FOV and steadier view of 7x and 8x anymore. Because of the shake with 10x, I don't feel you REALLY see any more detail than with a 7x or 8x. For birding, 7x and 8x are where it's at, jack.

I didn’t get you started on Swarovski, you got yourself started 😜. I was giving you my experience with over a half a dozen Swarovski‘s in the last 12 months. ( not tons, but maybe 15 lbs) And as far as the threads and complaints, for every one you can show me that somebody had a complaint, there’s probably 150 people who had no complaint. Maybe you could even research and see if there’s any posts about people saying there Swarovski focusers we’re fine.

I find that the NL, SF, Nocs and just yesterday acquired Nikon EDG (EDG perhaps the best) to be the best focusers on the market. Buttery smooth, no play, ample resistance (Nocs the least resistance) and just a joy to use. Now of course with any mass produced product there will be variation and a couple of bad apples that we”ll hear people complaining about over and over and over. Those are the ones you probably seem to be reviewing 😛.

i’m with you with the seven and eight power magnifications. I also find them to be the most enjoyable. The 10’s and 12‘s have their place.

.......If it wasn't for American inventions, you wouldn't be talking on this forum because there would be no internet......
Yes. and where would we all be then? Unable to read to your words of wisdom all day! Oh what a terrible, terrible situation..... By the way Dennis, I do believe you were getting a bit worked up in your last couple of posts?? Maybe time to take a break??

Last edited:
Yes. and where would we all be then? Unable to read to your words of wisdom all day! Oh what a terrible, terrible situation..... By the way Dennis, I do believe you were getting a bit worked up in your last couple of posts?? Maybe time to take a break??
We have to thank Al Gore for the internet 🤭

Yes, I remember I had an 8x20 Ultravid that was made in Portugal, and it also had a sticky focuser and rough moving eye cups. I bought it for $400 on eBay and sold it in a week.
Maybe you shouldn't buy other peoples abused castaway crap on ebay.

My 7 year old Portuguese made 8x20 Ultravid's are still absolutely flawless in every way despite having seen more use than any single binocular you've ever owned.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread has left the tracks.
Dennis this could occur with any binocular and the sample size (yours) as you know from a statistical perspective is minute. So you had some bad luck, but what happened to you is simply not the standard.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back