• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lady Amherst's Pheasant, Bedfordshire (1 Viewer)

Feel free to choose ‘your own truth’:

a) Was told today that there are 5 birds at liberty in the area, released from a recently deceased bird fanciers aviary. Knowing the source of this story I am reluctant to believe it, but it could well be true.

b) Alternatively, a hidden population, of male LAP’s has survived close to a village, unseen and unheard for at least 7 years. (maybe much longer, not sure when original population birds were last seen, if ever, around Flitwick)

I know when I hear hooves, I’m inclined to think Horses, before I jump to the Zebra conclusion.

🐎 vs 🦓

One thing I forgot to mention about this bird. Don't expect it to be easy and approachable like one of those crazy released/escaped August pheasants. It acts like a wild bird, and it also appears to be very, very, very well-experienced with predators. The first view I had it was running at breakneck speed from a dog. In case you have a dog and wanted to take it with you, don't. That is a guaranteed failure.
In regards to weather, don't worry too much about that. It is so dark in that forest that it doesn't really matter what weather it is. The area is good for red kites as well, which sometimes circle very low over Manor Park
I'd be a little worried that it didn't fly in the face a of a terrestrial predator which would certainly outmatch it on terra firma?

So in the village adjacent to the UK's only population of Lady Amherst's Pheasant was a person who kept Lady Amherst's Pheasants?

The thread on Focus on Flitwick Facebook Group is worth a look.

Especially the comments from the birds owner.

Somewhat sobering for all those seeking to tick ‘Betty.’

View attachment 1491380
Good and all. First of all, I do not see proof that she is the owner, but ok, let's accept it. I also do not see proof that is the bird I saw- could be the released/escaped bird. Second, I can't help but notice that the "owner" cannot get the gender of the bird correct. To me, that is enough to discredit whatever that person says

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back