• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Noctivid 8x42 design flaws and review - owners please check (1 Viewer)

Anyone know why 8x42 Noctivids are $2,059 on Amazon, but $2,800+ anywhere else?
B&H Photo has a Send Me a Price link that results in a price of $2,429 for 8x42 Noctivids. It's my understanding that some manufacturers don't allow sellers to advertise a price below a certain amount, but sellers can email a better price directly to a potential buyer.

Beware of prices that sound to good to be true on Amazon, or anywhere else for that matter. I had three experiences with Amazon, either used, one was a return by someone with missing items in the box and one time wasn’t the model advertised.

Paul

I've tried the 8x25 Victory Pocket and really want a pair for myself, but I've got three 8x20 Ultravids, making it my single favorite binocular of all, and also the excellent 7x21 Curio, which is even easier to use.

Having said all that, the Zeiss is in a totally different zone size and weight wise than the Leica and Swarovski options and which would be the best fit for you would be impossible for anyone other than yourself to say. All three have their naysayers and supporters, primarily because we all see things differently and I hope you'll soon get the chance to try them out for yourself.

I'll close with a short version of an experience from last year, when a man and his wife tried all the binoculars I had with me at the time. She insisted the best binocular there was the 8x20 Ultravid, while he relentlessly tried to buy the 7x21 Curio from me.
Thank you. I ultimately decided to cancel my order of the Noctivids after having read several reviews. I'm still am using my 10x32 BA (earlier referred to as BN). Yesterday, however, on a native plant walk, one of the leaders had a pair of Leica 8x20 and that got me reading reviews in this forum. I was focused on birding and plants, so although I heard her story of buying them in San Francisco years ago, I didn't think to see if they were Ultravids or Trinovides or ask to try them out! I'll know soon.

...on a native plant walk, one of the leaders had a pair of Leica 8x20...I didn't think to see if they were Ultravids or Trinovids or ask to try them out!
I've got one older model 8x20 Trinovid which is my most compact binocular, and I really like it, though it isn't as sharp as the newer, slightly larger present models. Going for an older model is the least expensive way to get started and you may find you like them still even after getting a pair of the Ultravids, which is why I've still kept mine.

I have owned the Noctivid over a year now in which I have mostly used the Nikon EDG instead. The name seems program - the Noctivid is great in low or subdued light, but probably much more due to a strongly boosted contrast by skewing the transmission curve than due to more transmissive glass. Similar to Zeiss and Swarovski SLC.

But the Nocti seems to hate strong light flowing through it. I got frustrated by the level of veiling glare that makes the images dull and flat. It is an often very weak glare, just hardly noticeable unless you play around trying to shield the objectives, but it destroys contrast. The extreme sharpness of the glass counteracts this a bit.

Finally I used a torch and have a closer look through the objectives - see attached image. Should have done that on day one and will do on day one with all new purchases.

An unblackened, unbaffled, very reflective brass knob at the base of the focuser axis. It can easily be hit by sunlight and will scatter part of it back into the image path.

This is either a serious design flaw, or Leica just forgot a baffle when assembling my glass - could other Noctivid owners check on their samples, please, if there is a baffle? The Ultravid 8x32 is completely baffled.

I assume it is a design flaw though because I could provoke heavy flare in the 10x42 I had.

Sic transit gloria mundi.

Such stuff has happened before though, for example in the 8K APO Summicron 50/2, where lens rims were not been blackened etc.

The contrast boost due to skewed transmission is much more aggressive than in the Ultravids. I don't buy Leica´s statement of a whiter image at all but I'm happy to be taught otherwise after the contrast issue is solved. Colours are a tad on the yellow green side but without proper global contrast it is a useless discussion anyway. As always, it shows in the shadows and midtones, not in the highlights. Black dogs and male blackbirds look on the brownish side of things when they are a cold black seen with the Nikon EDG.

Ergonomy is a huge step back from the Ultravids.

The Nikon EDG, although it does have many annoying flaws, is my reference glass for global contrast and colour accuracy, employing no artificial contrast boost whatsoever.

Here is my (hopefully preliminary) review. The Noctivid has great potential but with this issue it is a shame for Leica.

Leica Noctivid 8x42 review - greatestbinoculars.com
I have been using the noctivid 10x42 daily for years now. Tough life they have !
I love them full stop !
Drawbacks : the exit lenses protections are crap and break regularly. I dropped the idea of using them.
Recently I had an issue with the focus button “sticking” and affecting the dioptric setup. A good clean under clear water solved it apparently.

This said I have had the NL in hands once and … they felt lighter (it’s probably subjective as the tubes are thinner!).

My main question is actually should I change for a 8x42 rather than a different brand … I read they are better in low light !
Note I don’t really do bird watching but big game spotting rather.

My main question is actually should I change for a 8x42 rather than a different brand … I read they are better in low light !
Note I don’t really do bird watching but big game spotting rather.
Hello,

first of all, a warm welcome on board...:)

What exactly do you mean by low light, poor daytime conditions or twilight observations?
At dusk, the 8x42 shows flat objects brighter, but detail recognition is slightly better with the 10x42.

If you really often observe at dusk I would perhaps look for a Zeiss HT 8x42. The series is discontinued but sometimes there are still new models to buy or you can look for a used model.
The NL 8x42 is also noticeably brighter than the Noctivid 8x42.

Andreas

I have owned the Noctivid over a year now in which I have mostly used the Nikon EDG instead. The name seems program - the Noctivid is great in low or subdued light, but probably much more due to a strongly boosted contrast by skewing the transmission curve than due to more transmissive glass. Similar to Zeiss and Swarovski SLC.

But the Nocti seems to hate strong light flowing through it. I got frustrated by the level of veiling glare that makes the images dull and flat. It is an often very weak glare, just hardly noticeable unless you play around trying to shield the objectives, but it destroys contrast. The extreme sharpness of the glass counteracts this a bit.

Finally I used a torch and have a closer look through the objectives - see attached image. Should have done that on day one and will do on day one with all new purchases.

An unblackened, unbaffled, very reflective brass knob at the base of the focuser axis. It can easily be hit by sunlight and will scatter part of it back into the image path.

This is either a serious design flaw, or Leica just forgot a baffle when assembling my glass - could other Noctivid owners check on their samples, please, if there is a baffle? The Ultravid 8x32 is completely baffled.

I assume it is a design flaw though because I could provoke heavy flare in the 10x42 I had.

Sic transit gloria mundi.

Such stuff has happened before though, for example in the 8K APO Summicron 50/2, where lens rims were not been blackened etc.

The contrast boost due to skewed transmission is much more aggressive than in the Ultravids. I don't buy Leica´s statement of a whiter image at all but I'm happy to be taught otherwise after the contrast issue is solved. Colours are a tad on the yellow green side but without proper global contrast it is a useless discussion anyway. As always, it shows in the shadows and midtones, not in the highlights. Black dogs and male blackbirds look on the brownish side of things when they are a cold black seen with the Nikon EDG.

Ergonomy is a huge step back from the Ultravids.

The Nikon EDG, although it does have many annoying flaws, is my reference glass for global contrast and colour accuracy, employing no artificial contrast boost whatsoever.

Here is my (hopefully preliminary) review. The Noctivid has great potential but with this issue it is a shame for Leica.

Leica Noctivid 8x42 review - greatestbinoculars.com
Interesting and complete review. I have been using my noctivid 10x42 daily for 4/5 years now, in normal daylight and also low light (hunting) and have no real issues but two little ones.
The exit lens caps support breaks regularly and I finally stopped using them.
I had an issue with the focus wheel turning the dioptric one. That was a real issue till I simply rince the binoculars under clear water .. problem seems resolved now.
Now … should I change to 8x42 to gain in low light ? Should I go for NL pure for weight (often when I go stalking in day light I take my small ultravid 10x25) ?

Interesting and complete review. I have been using my noctivid 10x42 daily for 4/5 years now, in normal daylight and also low light (hunting) and have no real issues but two little ones.
The exit lens caps support breaks regularly and I finally stopped using them.
I had an issue with the focus wheel turning the dioptric one. That was a real issue till I simply rince the binoculars under clear water .. problem seems resolved now.
Now … should I change to 8x42 to gain in low light ? Should I go for NL pure for weight (often when I go stalking in day light I take my small ultravid 10x25) ?
Welcome to BF.

You will pick up a little more observing time early and late in the day with a comparable quality 8x, but at a loss from benefits of the 10x for hunting (a bad word here). I agree with Andreas here, the Zeiss HT are excellent in low light, as well as the FL’s , both have Abbe Koenig prisms. Another consideration I found to be one of the brightest roof prism bins on the market, and equal to the aforementioned, is the Vortex razor UHD in 8x42.

Paul.

Thank you. I ultimately decided to cancel my order of the Noctivids after having read several reviews. I'm still am using my 10x32 BA (earlier referred to as BN). Yesterday, however, on a native plant walk, one of the leaders had a pair of Leica 8x20 and that got me reading reviews in this forum. I was focused on birding and plants, so although I heard her story of buying them in San Francisco years ago, I didn't think to see if they were Ultravids or Trinovides or ask to try them out! I'll know soon.
May I ask what was in the several reviews that made you change your mind and cancel the order?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back