• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Noctivid 8x42- wow! (2 Viewers)

Awesome little review! Thanks for posting. I would love to try these myself. Always hear about those “Leica colors”. Do you happen to wear glasses? I’m always curious about that since I’m a full time spectacles wearer unfortunately.
They are excellent with glasses

One last classic question. 8X42 or 10X42 ? :) I am still not able to make the decision. I am still 60% towards 8X42, but just wondering if 2X extra would help more.

One last classic question. 8X42 or 10X42 ? :) I am still not able to make the decision. I am still 60% towards 8X42, but just wondering if 2X extra would help more.
8x42. Bigger FOV, brighter, better DOF and easier to hold steady. If I use 10x, I have IS. Regardless of what some people say, 10x is considerably harder to hold steady than 8x.

I started out with nothing but 8x binoculars and just added a 10x which I'm really happy with, but only because I have several 8x binoculars which I use most of the time.

Either way I'm looking forward to hearing what you think once you've made the decision.

I have been using a monarch 8x42 (non ED glass) for the last 9 years, and they have served me well... not the sharpest but nice size, and weight, decent image quality for what I believe was $250 when I bought them. I have been thinking of upgrading and I had every intention of picking up an 8x42 NL pure. I had the chance to view through them this spring from a friend who pick some up, and I didn't really like the rolling ball effect as I was scanning the trees. I've never handled swarovskis before (except some curios I bought recently), so I guess I'm not used to that effect, and maybe it is something I could have gotten used to but I didn't want to chance feeling queezy doing something I love so much, and take so much joy in - bird watching.

I didn't really have Noctivids on my radar at all until I came across this forum, and had the chance to chat with some members who have handled them. I was interested in getting as much "wow" as I could get if I was going to spend this kind of money... and from the reviews and everything I heard from members, this could be the one. The only complaints I have found on here are 1) CA 2) not as wide angle of view as the new swaro/zeiss coming out, and not as ergonomic with the close double barrel/focus wheel position. So I had a plan to drive to a place 5 hours away to try all the top binos side by side (which is what would have made the most sense if I really wanted to know which ones were best for my hands/eyes), however I found a pair of 8x42 olive green noctivids on ebay and decided to take the risk.

I wanted to say that I think some peoples eyes must be extremely sensitive to CA because I have tried to see it and I can't... I heard the 8x handle this better than the 10x but I honestly couldnt see anything, except at the extreme edge when there was extreme contrast... but when scanning around on axis, there is nothing to my eyes. The angle of view is actually a lot better than my monarchs (not as big as the NL pures I looked through though) but it was plenty for me. The biggest thing I could see though when I was comparing the colours/image from my monarch, and the curios to the noctivid, was the beautiful view... I have heard people talk about "leica colours/contrast etc" so I was expecting that I could possibly find it off-putting, but if you have ever edited a photography image which I have done a million times (I did this professionally for 10 years), I tend to bump the temp a little warmer anyways and play with the light curve... and I find the beautiful leica view is exactly what I was hoping for... I believe the member Paul here calls it "delicious", I totally get it!

The rest of the bino exudes quality, from the focus wheel (position is fine for me) and the eye cups work flawlessly. The weight balance is great to hold, and I can't put these down.

I just wanted to give my report from someone who was afraid of some of the comments on here (eg CA), and was afraid since these have been out for a while, that I would be disappointed, but I took the risk, and I am 1000% happy!

Thanks for all the contributors on here, it really helps lurkers like me on here make decisions.

Sam
I think you made a great choice, I also think the 8x Nocs are the way to go, imho. CA is a non side here, I can see CA on almost any binoculars if the conditions are there, maybe not in the Kowa Genesis. As far as weight , it’s just another thing some people here complain about , and can and is an issue for some people, but then those same people are not choosing an EL, HT or an NL, we’re talking 2-3 once’s here, barely noticeable among most 42mm binos.

Imo will not find a better image today , maybe better edge, slightly better CA control or a wider FOV, bit not a better eyeball image.

I was very torn on choosing the green or black, they’re both very rich looking.

Enjoy

Paul

Attachments

• 2D0E378F-1455-4973-882B-8ED7B8A03FBE.jpeg
    2D0E378F-1455-4973-882B-8ED7B8A03FBE.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 111
  • 41334446-F3C1-4C88-8AA0-8582A5F90B96.jpeg
    41334446-F3C1-4C88-8AA0-8582A5F90B96.jpeg
    76.4 KB · Views: 115
I've been using 10x42 Noctivids as my primary birding bin for about 2.5 years. I wear glasses, and find the eye relief and AFOV to be near perfect for me. I use a RYO harness, and don't think about the weight at all. Glare suppression is quite good, better than my 8x32 NL's for example. I have seen some CA from time to time in the 'usual' situations, but in countless hours of regular birding, it's hasn't been an issue. For me, an excellent binocular. Enjoy your Noctivids!

-Bill

Last edited:
I've been using 10x42 Noctivids as my primary birding bin for about 2.5 years. I wear glasses, and find the eye relief and AFOV to be near perfect for me. I use a RYO harness, and don't think about the weight at all. Glare suppression is quite good, better than my 8x32 NL's for example. I have seen some CA from time to time in the 'usual' situations, but in countless hours of regular birding, it's hasn't been an issue. For me, an excellent binocular. Enjoy your Nocitivids!

-Bill
Glad to hear they work well for a fellow glasses user! I would love to take a look through these one day.

I don't own a Noctivid, but I've used both the 8x42 and 10x42. I definitely prefer the 8x, and it and the 7x42 Ultravid are, for me, the finest views to be had in the binocular world.
Bold statement! :LOL:

I always want to have a 10x when I read about them or think about that wonderful "extra magnification" but literally every time I've looked through a 10x binocular I think "....why am I shaking so much?". And then I don't want a 10x....until I start thinking about how extra magnification would be cool. Rinse and repeat!

Ok so I think I won't go wrong with 8X42. (y) Thank you.
I get that, and it was very funny, but ditto on what Denco said. The 10’s are great but something about that 8 is dreamy. Depth of field is nice and the field of view looks larger to the eye than on paper. It’s a very immersive image quality. IMO these are probably the best binoculars that defines feeling like your inside the image.

Good luck.

Paul

I always want to have a 10x when I read about them or think about that wonderful "extra magnification" but literally every time I've looked through a 10x binocular I think "....why am I shaking so much?". And then I don't want a 10x....until I start thinking about how extra magnification would be cool. Rinse and repeat!
10x is not a big step up in magnification from 8, relative to what a spotting scope can easily provide. I like 10x for the same reason that I tend to zoom in a bit with a camera... Its merely that the point of interest for me is generally much smaller than a wider field of view. With birds, one can get a bit more detail and a larger presentation with 10x, so it is an aesthetic preference in my case.

Regarding stability of 10 vs 8, one just gets used to holding them effectively. My method is to always wear a hat, and touch the objective end of the binos, or my hand to the brim, and thereby dampen small movements. It works for me, but I'm sure there's other strategies as well.

-Bill

Hi GDavis248,

In that case, really think about IS binocular?!

Andreas

10x is not a big step up in magnification from 8, relative to what a spotting scope can easily provide. I like 10x for the same reason that I tend to zoom in a bit with a camera... Its merely that the point of interest for me is generally much smaller than a wider field of view. With birds, one can get a bit more detail and a larger presentation with 10x, so it is an aesthetic preference in my case.

Regarding stability of 10 vs 8, one just gets used to holding them effectively. My method is to always wear a hat, and touch the objective end of the binos, or my hand to the brim, and thereby dampen small movements. It works for me, but I'm sure there's other strategies as well.

-Bill
And this is the main reason why I tend to still want a 10x. I’m sure over time I would gain some stability, either through technique or just general acclimation. One day!

Hi GDavis248,

In that case, really think about IS binocular?!

Andreas
I’m not too informed on them to be honest. Mainly just know that they exist. Not sure how I feel about the form factors I’ve seen and just yet another thing to make sure I have charged up and ready to go when I grab them. I just haven’t been too drawn to them so far.

I’m not too informed on them to be honest. Mainly just know that they exist. Not sure how I feel about the form factors I’ve seen and just yet another thing to make sure I have charged up and ready to go when I grab them. I just haven’t been too drawn to them so far.
Yes, that's just a compromise, as always, for a stable picture you have to accept other inconveniences. ;)

Andreas

Ok guys...I went for the 10X42 :) I feel sacrificing the bigger FOV on the 8x42 for the extra 2X magnification that I get in 10x42 would help me more. Asked a friend to buy it from www.birders-store.co.uk got it at 1849 GBP. that was the cheapest I found until now. So will wait for someone to carry it to India in coming weeks. :) I am so excited.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-09-07 at 8.50.53 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-09-07 at 8.50.53 PM.jpeg
    350.5 KB · Views: 45
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-09-07 at 8.50.54 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-09-07 at 8.50.54 PM.jpeg
    171.2 KB · Views: 45
Ok guys...I went for the 10X42 :) I feel sacrificing the bigger FOV on the 8x42 for the extra 2X magnification that I get in 10x42 would help me more. Asked a friend to buy it from www.birders-store.co.uk got it at 1849 GBP. that was the cheapest I found until now. So will wait for someone to carry it to India in coming weeks. :) I am so excited.
Excellent binoculars, very good optics and built like a tank, enjoy in good health!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back