• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Noctivid 8x42- wow! (1 Viewer)

I am hoping it will be good. Your 'rinse and repeat' comment made me think over 10x :) I know you just meant its a loop but it made me feel the 2X magnification is worth considering :) Ill get it in few weeks when someone is travelling from UK.

Mathematically it is 0.25x extra. I notice you said it twice which is why I’m commenting 😛

I am also an admirer of the 10x binoculars because they have a higher AFOV than the 8x brothers, and they give me some extra details. For me, 10x binoculars has to be at least 42mm diameter, to stabilize it better. But for binoculars smaller than 42mm I prefer 8x or even 7x. The only way to get out of the 8x vs 10x loop is to buy a good 10x42, which is exactly what you did ;)(y) I also chose Victory SF 10x42 instead of 8x42 brother and I didn't regret it

Mathematically it is 0.25x extra. I notice you said it twice which is why I’m commenting 😛
Hehe thank you :) Mathematically I was taking it as 25% extra magnification compared to the 8x42, but was sticking to commenting '2X extra' for sake of simplicity. I don't know how mathematically it comes to the .25X but maths is not my forte so I am sure someway it must be .25X too :) Thank you once again.

I am also an admirer of the 10x binoculars because they have a higher AFOV than the 8x brothers, and they give me some extra details. For me, 10x binoculars has to be at least 42mm diameter, to stabilize it better. But for binoculars smaller than 42mm I prefer 8x or even 7x. The only way to get out of the 8x vs 10x loop is to buy a good 10x42, which is exactly what you did ;)(y) I also chose Victory SF 10x42 instead of 8x42 brother and I didn't regret it
Thank you...this is what I wanted to hear. (y)(y)

My all-time favorite binocular is the Leica 7x42 UDHV+. I’ve always liked the 7X format, and the overall package of this UVHD+ is the best I’ve encountered for what I like. I live close to the Texas Gulf Coast and do a lot of bird photography. I view a lot of shore birds, and waterfowl in the winter across the marshes, so I picked up the Noctivid 10x42 as a compliment to my 7x42. I also have the Leica 10x50 UVHD+, which is as amazing, but the size and weight are not to my liking for longer viewing sessions.

The Noctivid 10x42, while it has a touch more CA than the 10x50 UV, is very comfortable, has more ER, and has a great feel. Not concerned about the smaller FOV compared to Zeiss and Swaros, as the contrast, glare suppression, colors and “Leica pop” more than make up for the reduced FOV.

The combination of the 7x42 and 10x42 gives me all I need, and the 43% increase in focal length from the 7X to the 10x is large enough to make both worthwhile. I use the 7x42 about 70% of the time vs. the 10x42. I also have the 8x42 Noctivid, but use it less each day, not because it’s worse than the 10x42, but because the 7x/10x combo works better for me.

Last edited:
"For me, 10x binoculars has to be at least 42 mm diameter, to stabilize it better."

Canon 10x42 IS-L. IS stabilizes it even better!

Last edited:
I had the 12x NL Pure which I found amazing in terms of the view and magnification. Had no problems holding them steady at all with the forehead rest.

I sold them because of other things I couldn’t get on with in the image.

I’d quite like a 12x42 NV though…!

Be careful what you ask for! If he tells you things he doesn't like about the NL, you might agree with him, and then you will be selling your NL's grasshopper.😁
If there’s one thing that I have learned is that I don’t buy and sell because of what other people say or have written. Not even if you bought & sold the same binoculars three times 🤣

EL 42’s haven’t been discontinued. Still available, still one of the best optics of any Binocular on the market. Only thing changed is they increased the short focus a few feet, oh and reduced the price $500. How dare they lower the price 😜

May I ask what were those things? 🙏🏼
Of course.

Firstly, I couldn’t get them comfortable on my face/eyes. Despite endless fiddling with IPD and using the forehead rest they persistently had blackouts and other issues.

Secondly, when panning I could see or perceive what I can only describe as lines or striations in the image which drove me to distraction. They weren’t visible when stationary.

Some of this may be related to my eyes. I had differential LASIK surgery several years ago. I’ve no idea - I merely mention it in case it helps explain!

I never found this with the EL.

If there’s one thing that I have learned is that I don’t buy and sell because of what other people say or have written. Not even if you bought & sold the same binoculars three times 🤣
Yes, but you might notice a weakness in a binocular if somebody else points it out that you didn't notice before. It happens to me all the time.

Secondly, when panning I could see or perceive what I can only describe as lines or striations in the image which drove me to distraction. They weren’t visible when stationary.
I recall your mentioning this before. Vertical, presumably? In all NLs, or only 12x42? Also in ELs and SFs, or not? Fascinating, I keep hoping someone might have an explanation.

Yes, but you might notice a weakness in a binocular if somebody else points it out that you didn't notice before. It happens to me all the time.
That was my assumption as to why you buy and sell so many binoculars. It very rare that I buy a binocular and not notice it’s faults within the first few times using it, if not in the first few minutes. Allbinos reviews has done the opposite for me, I buy something after reading one of the reviews expecting some trait to be more noticicable or worse than it actually reported in the review. Then Im pleasantly surprised the it issue was exaggerator or not accurate. The EDG and MHG example is only one of them, I could name at least a half dozen more in a few minutes.

You seem to be more influenced and disappointed than most in a specific glass that didn’t meet some Allbino standard, measurement or some summary verbiage. Master Kon has gotten so old and feeble that he can’t distinguish the a foot sweep from a hip throw. It’s time to forget about the pebbles and put some ginseng in your hands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back