• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica UV 8x20 versus Zeiss Victory 8x25 (1 Viewer)

An old thread I know but I’ve just ordered both pairs of these so I can compare side by side. My main requirement is the best bang for buck portable/pocketable binocular that will give an almost 8x32 experience.

Going off the posts in here the Zeiss Victory looks to be the closest to that. I’ve tried various models over the last year, ranging from the Zeiss Terra ED 8x25, GPO 8x32 and x42, the Kowa BD II XD 8x42 and a Nikon Monarch M7 8x30. All of them had their pros and cons for my requirements ( disabled reliant on crutches ) but the 8x42 are now a no, no due their weigh and size, the Nikon Monarch M7 were just not sharp enough in the centre of the field and glare was an issue. The GPO 8x32 just didn’t fit my eye profile and the Zeiss Terra lacked central sharpness and brightness, along with the iffy build quality with the pair I had.

Portability and easy access are my number one requirements whilst (attempting )low level hiking with crutches, as you can guess this can be a bit challenging even with a 8x30/32 format.

The Leica Ultravid might be the ideal pocketable binocular but those 20mm objective lenses could prove tricky for eye placement.

An old thread I know but I’ve just ordered both pairs of these so I can compare side by side. My main requirement is the best bang for buck portable/pocketable binocular that will give an almost 8x32 experience.

Going off the posts in here the Zeiss Victory looks to be the closest to that. I’ve tried various models over the last year, ranging from the Zeiss Terra ED 8x25, GPO 8x32 and x42, the Kowa BD II XD 8x42 and a Nikon Monarch M7 8x30. All of them had their pros and cons for my requirements ( disabled reliant on crutches ) but the 8x42 are now a no, no due their weigh and size, the Nikon Monarch M7 were just not sharp enough in the centre of the field and glare was an issue. The GPO 8x32 just didn’t fit my eye profile and the Zeiss Terra lacked central sharpness and brightness, along with the iffy build quality with the pair I had.

Portability and easy access are my number one requirements whilst (attempting )low level hiking with crutches, as you can guess this can be a bit challenging even with a 8x30/32 format.

The Leica Ultravid might be the ideal pocketable binocular but those 20mm objective lenses could prove tricky for eye placement.
Don't forget to try the Curio 7x21, I think you will be very surprised just how good it is!

If you are willing to accept something larger, then I would also look at the Swaro CL 8x30 and/or the Zeiss SFL 8x30. Both very light, and I can vouch for the CL being a nice binocular

If you are willing to accept something larger, then I would also look at the Swaro CL 8x30 and/or the Zeiss SFL 8x30. Both very light, and I can vouch for the CL being a nice binocular
It’s the weight as well as the handling. That’s why I ruled out 8x32/30’s, the smaller pocket size will suit my needs much better just as long the optics are as bright and sharp as they can possibly be for a compact. All of my viewing is done during the day under mixed viewing habitats, but mostly open spaces.

Ok... so I have the 8x20 Ultravid, but the Curio is easier for eye placement, and brighter. It's tack sharp, as are the Ultras.
Both awesome, but I think the Curio is better optically.
Leica is built like a little brick.... feels amazing, but it is fiddly to use. It's just my emergency, always with me bino, but I wouldn't want it as my only option.
Also look at the Swaro 8x30 CL.... not heavy and optically superb. A definate step up if you can put up with the extra few grams.

Ok... so I have the 8x20 Ultravid, but the Curio is easier for eye placement, and brighter. It's tack sharp, as are the Ultras.
Both awesome, but I think the Curio is better optically.
Leica is built like a little brick.... feels amazing, but it is fiddly to use. It's just my emergency, always with me bino, but I wouldn't want it as my only option.
Also look at the Swaro 8x30 CL.... not heavy and optically superb. A definate step up if you can put up with the extra few grams.
Thank you.

Both pairs are arriving tomorrow so I’ll be able test them back to back.The Curio do look appealing though with their wide FOV.

Leica Ultravid 8x20 has a large focus wheel for its tiny body size. The focus knob is even larger than the one on the Zeiss Victory 8x25. No other 20mm pocket binoculars from Zeiss, Swarovski or Nikon have such a large focus knob as this little Leica Ultravid 8x20. Ultravid it si very comfortable and ergonomic once you get used to it. The focus knob is very important to be comfortable and easy to access because it is the link between the binoculars and the user!
_8230861.JPG

Leica Ultravid 8x20 has a large focus wheel for its tiny body size. The focus knob is even larger than the one on the Zeiss Victory 8x25. No other 20mm pocket binoculars from Zeiss, Swarovski or Nikon have such a large focus knob as this little Leica Ultravid 8x20. Ultravid it si very comfortable and ergonomic once you get used to it. The focus knob is very important to be comfortable and easy to access because it is the link between the binoculars and the user!
View attachment 1565663
Every little helps with ease of use for me. I’m looking forward to comparing these two when they arrive.

Every little helps with ease of use for me. I’m looking forward to comparing these two when they arrive.

DitD,

A few suggestions and to repeat some of the excellent advice of others here for your comparison:

As you use crutches, compare whether either is better for one hand use including focusing. Highly individual, but for me, the VP is easier to use/focus with either hand (I am right handed).

With the UV I sometimes use both the index finger and the thumb on the underside to focus.

Experiment with adjusting the IP distance on the UV asymmetrically as others suggest. If you are right handed, extend the right barrel all the way out and adjust the left barrel only. This can make for quicker adjustment and may put the focus knob in a better position for you as well.

Avoid using a tight tight fitting case with the VP. As others mention this can cause the diopter to move out of adjustment or even come off.

if you pick the VP, I recommend getting a Rick Young harness to use instead of the Zeiss strap (no affiliation). If you want lens covers for the VP, I really like the Opticron products. Opticron also has objective covers that work well on the UV if you are inclined

If you find it hard to pick between the two, or if you are inclined to the UV based on smaller size, consider throwing the Curio into the mix.

Looking forward to the results of your comparison.

Mike

DitD,

A few suggestions and to repeat some of the excellent advice of others here for your comparison:

As you use crutches, compare whether either is better for one hand use including focusing. Highly individual, but for me, the VP is easier to use/focus with either hand (I am right handed).

With the UV I sometimes use both the index finger and the thumb on the underside to focus.

Experiment with adjusting the IP distance on the UV asymmetrically as others suggest. If you are right handed, extend the right barrel all the way out and adjust the left barrel only. This can make for quicker adjustment and may put the focus knob in a better position for you as well.

Avoid using a tight tight fitting case with the VP. As others mention this can cause the diopter to move out of adjustment or even come off.

if you pick the VP, I recommend getting a Rick Young harness to use instead of the Zeiss strap (no affiliation). If you want lens covers for the VP, I really like the Opticron products. Opticron also has objective covers that work well on the UV if you are inclined

If you find it hard to pick between the two, or if you are inclined to the UV based on smaller size, consider throwing the Curio into the mix.

Looking forward to the results of your comparison.

Mike
Thanks for the informative reply Mike.

Like you say nothing beats a full hands on experience, or one hand for me. 🙂

To the OP,

Interesting quandary! You might find this helpful:

Regards,

Neil
Hi Neil

I literally just finished reading your highly informative review a moment ago. Always enjoy reading your thoughts and how easy you make it for novices like me to understand. The main thing for me bar the optical quality between the two, which appears to be minimal going of the reviews will be the handling and ease of use.

Portability and easy access are my number one requirements…
Yes they might, and while I think it might be possible for you to fall for the Ultravid, my bigger bet would be on the 7x21 Curio working out for you.

There is a big difference in size class between Ultravid 8x20 and Zeiss VP 8x25. Zeiss VP 8x25 is not a pocket binocular. It is normal VP to be more comfortable because the hand rests on a larger surface. It's much closer in ergonomics to a larger binoculars like your Nikon M7.
But the Swaro Curio 8x21 is in the same category as the Ultravid 8x20 because both are truly pocketable binos. First you must have decided on the volume of the binoculars you want. If you want comfort and aperture, go with Zeiss VP. But if you want as compact as possible and miniaturization, go with Leica Ultravid or Curio. But as I said before, Ultravid has a larger and more comfortable focus knob than Curio for this tiny pocket class (even bigger than VP focus). Curio has a small focus knob very recessed in the body. You can only access it with your fingerprint. Ergonomically speaking the Ultravid is the king of small pocket binoculars because of this. But of course like anyother pocketable binos, requires time to get use to this mini size. If we are not used to the disadvantages of mini binoculars, it won't be love at first sight, but it will be love at second sight :)

Do the 8x25 Victories still not come with an ocluar cover (rainguard)?
Yes, they still do not come with a rainguard. Raising the price from €775 to €779 due to an included rainguard would render them uncompetitive in the market.

@Devil in the Detail

Some find the VP's don't quite work for them due to issues with eye relief (both glasses wearers and non glasses wearers). If they do fit you, I think your assessment that, of the contenders, they will give you the biggest bang for your buck is probably correct. I also believe you will find their single hinge to be easier to set and maintain in use, than the dual hinge alternatives you are also considering. It is far closer in it's characteristics to an 8x30/8×32, therefore less of a compromise.

Just my 2p...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back