• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2015 (2 Viewers)

Great morning, first at s'Albufereta with my first ever Swamphen, female Ruff and a stunning male Red-footed Falcon (8 a.m., then headed north). Later on at s'Albufera plenty of Wood Sandpiper, 2 Temminck's Stint, 2 Curlew Sandpiper and a few drake Garganey. Lush!

Joost

Hi all, just returned to UK after a weeks birding on the island. Highlights included Bee eaters , Turtle dove, Tawny pipit and Corn bunting on the road to Depadura. Marbled duck, Whiskered tern, Purple Heron, Green and Wood sandpiper, Hobby and Eleonora's falcon at Depadura. Wryneck, Pied and Spotted flycatcher at Betlem. Roller x2, Spotless Starling x5 at Can Curassa. No raptors seen at Mortix or Cuber on the day I went but a nice male Winchat at the former and Subalpine warbler at the latter were nice surprises. The Castell near Felanix turned up Alpine swift, Peregrine, Blue rock thrush and Crag martin and moving on to Porto Colom I saw Balearic warbler, Thekla lark and Pallid swift. The central plain produced only Common Kestrel and a nice male Sparrowhawk (1st I've seen on Mallorca), Also heard Wryneck calling here along with lots of Quail.
The day I saw the Sparrowhawk another birder I met reported seeing one on the road to Depadura and also showed me a photo he'd taken of a Pine Marten running across the Depadura road. All usual species seen on main reserve. Great birds.

P.S. Nice meeting Mike Montier after reading his posts for the last 2 years. Thanks for putting me onto the Rollers Mike. Also a first for me on the island.

Temminck's Stint also at S'Albufera yesterday, with more curlew sands and dunlin than recently. Wood warblers still coming through and a very late common chiffchaff singing briefly. The golden eagle also turned up again in the last couple of days, not sure where she's been hiding!

Hi,
I'm currently staying at Cala D'or in the South East.
Very pleasant walk this morning between Porto Petro and the big Police
building.
Tawny Pipit, Thekla Larks, Fan tailed Warblers, 2 Stone Curlew, male
Cirl Bunting,2 Wood Warblers, male and female Pied Flycatchers.
Wonderful to hear so many Turtle Doves, with about half a dozen purring males in the area.
Robert

Hi Robert, thanks for posting, I live in Porto Petro and often do that walk, a couple of weeks ago the wild flowers were amazing. I have yet to see Wood warbler there, were they near the Police Station? Many thanks, Mike

Hi Mike,
The Wood Warblers and Pied Flys were on the opposite side of the road to the Police Station, about a hundred yards nearer to Porto Petro down a minor road in some shortish Pine Trees.
Cheers,robert

Thanks Robert, I will go later and have a look in Mondragó to see if the Nightjars are in yet, they should be by now, it's a great place for them. Mike

Currently staying at Alcudia on a family holiday.
Managed to escape this morning to Cuber. 2 showy montoli's warblers in the pines from the car park towards the dam. Blue rock thrush and black vulture also present.
Wood warbler and plenty of singing firecrests on the way up.

The small lake near Lidl in Acludia produced whiskered terns, squacco and purple herons along with red crested pochard.

Depadura had little stints, Dunlin, green sands, Eleanora's falcon, stone curlew and bee eaters.

Anyone know if the rollers or red footed Falcons are still about?

Hi Kevsmith, Rollers pass through and never stay too long but there is always the chance of others coming through at this time of the year, Can Curassa is by far the most reliable site.
For Red-footed falcons I would recommend Maria de la Salut where they can be seen either hunting over the fields or perched on the overhead cables. Also look out for Lesser kestrel if you are able to make it there.
Just back from Mondragó where there are two European Nightjar churring.
Also a report of a possible Corncrake calling in Camp de Mar, I will go and investigate. Both observers listened to recordings and believe that is what they heard. They are very rare but one or two occur here in some years. Mike

Another boat trip this morning produced close views of both Scopoli's and Balearic shearwaters plus a Gannet and four Storm petrels.
Other news is that over 20 Honey buzzard have been through this morning both from the tower and Bóquer Valley.
There is also a Lesser spotted eagle still around, the plumage is truly dreadful, not through moult but possible infection/illness. It is doubtful the bird can continue migration in that condition which is good news for us but not for the poor bird. It has been seen wandering around the Island from the north to the south. Mike

Thanks Mike. I will try there if time allows.
A quick look at Albufereta this lunchtime was fairly quiet but added woodchat shrike, stone curlew, great egret, singing golden oriole to the holiday list.

We have arrived at the Club Pollentia Resort - a nice walk this evening around the south end of Albufereta produced Woodchat Shrike, a pair of Red crested Pochard, Kentish Plover with 2 very cute chicks, Black winged Stilts as well as Serins and Fan tailed Warbler at the hotel

Really looking forward to the next 10 days!

Graham

Currently staying at Alcudia on a family holiday.
Managed to escape this morning to Cuber. 2 showy montoli's warblers in the pines from the car park towards the dam. Blue rock thrush and black vulture also present.
Wood warbler and plenty of singing firecrests on the way up.

The small lake near Lidl in Acludia produced whiskered terns, squacco and purple herons along with red crested pochard.

Depadura had little stints, Dunlin, green sands, Eleanora's falcon, stone curlew and bee eaters.

Anyone know if the rollers or red footed Falcons are still about?

Hi Kev, nice to meet you today near Depuradora. Myself and two friends (one disabled) are here for a week and had a great day between pollenca, port de P, can curassa and Depuradora. Highlights inc; booted eagle, Six eleanora's, yellow wagtail, zitting cisticola, spotless starlings, kestrels, purple heron, black winged stilts, shelduck ( and chicks), little grebes, tawny pipit, thekla lark, cattle egrets and the fantastic bee eater display on the road to dep. Just after we last saw you, we saw a female golden oriole and the whispered tern.

Fabulous day out. Thanks to all for posts.
Mick

More of the same today at Albufereta but added 3 Stone Curlew, Purple Heron, Night Heron, Ringed and Little Ringed Plover and singing Nightingale.

An evening walk up the Boquer Valley was too late for any birds apart from a Raven, but at least I found the car park. Can anyone tell me whereabouts the Balearic Warblers have been showing here recently?

Graham

A Balearic Warbler was singing and showing off and on to the SW of the stand of pines on the left after you go through the two tall rocks, earlier today. No sign of any above the eastern path leading down to the sea which has been productive for me the last few years.

A pair of Gull billed Tern showed briefly from the Sa Roca hide at Salbufera yesterday afternoon, & can anyone ID the bird with a badly injured right leg, it has been in front of the same hide for the last couple of days.

Attachments

• 7D2_8174_cr.jpg
    7D2_8174_cr.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 7D2_7573_cr.jpg
    7D2_7573_cr.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
You had a great start to your trip Mick. Nice chatting to you yesterday. Not seen an oriole this trip yet, but have heard a male singing.
Joe, your wader is a ruff.

Hi Mike/All,
I did more or less the same walk as Friday between Cala D'or and Porto Petro.
Still one Wood Warbler, Garden Warbler,Willow Warbler, Cirl Bunting and singing Turtle Doves. I believe this road is called C/de sa Bonanca.
The Tawny Pipit is still singing from the telegraph pole near the Police Station. Also a Whinchat there today.
Cheers, Robert.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back