• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2020 (1 Viewer)

My usual seawatch from the lighthouse at Portopetro was interesting.
Last year I noted that lower numbers of shearwaters were being logged at Porto Colom than at Portopetro.
I surmised that the birds may have been coming past me from further out to sea, thus cutting off Porto Colom altogether.
After a very calm and sunny day today, I was surprised to see such low numbers of shearwaters passing by so I thought I would scan the water. Looking far south I noted not only two Great skuas, but streams of mixed shearwaters moving through. They were appearing from far out to the east and could not possibly be seen from further up the coast, ie from Porto Colom.
That answers that conundrum then but it only seems to happen in certain conditions.
Clive found a Spotted crake at Albufera this afternoon.
Mike

Yes Mike, Spotted Crake today in front of the Cibollar 1 hide. I only got a couple of bad photos after fumbling around changing lenses, but Juanjo was there and he took quite a few photos I think. Other birds here and at Sa Roca were a Spoonbill, Redshank, Spotted Redshank, Greenshank, Green Sandpiper, about 30 Avocet, 23 Glossy Ibis, Marbled Duck, a few Little Ringed Plovers. Philip saw a Gargany. A Water Pipit came close to the Cibollar hide.

Attachments

• Spotted Crake_6175.jpg
    Spotted Crake_6175.jpg
    556.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Spoonbill_6300.jpg
    Spoonbill_6300.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Water Pipit_6163.jpg
    Water Pipit_6163.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 64
  • Little Ringed Plover_6138.jpg
    Little Ringed Plover_6138.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 44
Hi Clive thanks for nice talking at Pla de Lansell. When I left without seeing Iberian Grey Shrike There was a nice Yellow wagtail thunbergi on the field near my car.

Hi it was good to meet you too, sorry I can't remember your first name, it was a new one for me.

A thunbergi wagtail is a good find, I haven't seen one on Mallorca, I think they occur but are scarce here. Perhaps someone more knowledgable on the status can comment.

La Gola bird centre is temporarily closed

Dear all,
due to the health alert and being recommended by the Government and Pollença Council, the Ornithological Tourism Centre La Gola will be closed to the public (not the Park). You can find us on FB, twitter and email. We'll keep you updated.
Our apologies.
Cristina.

Went to Salobrar de Campos with Mike Montier and David yesterday morning. Plenty of marsh harrier activity all morning. The Es Trenc road was quiet for waders although we did see 9 little stints and 1 temmincks, a good number of redshank but little else. The main attractions were seeing around 150 flamingo from Eddies Track and later 300 Avocet feeding together seen from the road. The sight of all those avocets in the air together when disturbed, probably by a harrier, was quite incredible against the blue sky. Note that Eddies Track is still under water in parts but probably still passable without wellies by going through the vegetation

Thanks David, it was indeed a marvelous sight to watch and listen to those black and white dazzlers performing in the air.
Also 24 Garganey were a pretty picture.
Mike

Oh well, the third Easter holiday in a row falls victim to being cancelled. No Mallorca trip this year. Very disappointing but let's hope everyone and everything can get back on their feet as quickly as possible.

Sorry to hear that Rob, very disappointing for you.
Many people have had holidays cancelled which is such a let down. I am now not going to Iona in Scotland, nor the USA so I know how it feels!
All rather chaotic here with panic buying, empty shelves in supermarkets and nearly all events and gatherings cancelled.
Health must come first of course and I do hope the tide will turn as soon as is humanly possible.
With best wishes to all, Mike

Sorry I had to leave the Salobrar early yesterday but I loved watching the marsh harriers, which I am now learning to tell apart! And I hope to see you again before too long, Dave.

Sorry to hear that Rob, very disappointing for you.
Many people have had holidays cancelled which is such a let down. I am now not going to Iona in Scotland, nor the USA so I know how it feels!
All rather chaotic here with panic buying, empty shelves in supermarkets and nearly all events and gatherings cancelled.
Health must come first of course and I do hope the tide will turn as soon as is humanly possible.
With best wishes to all, Mike

That’s a real shame Mike! Stay safe everyone out there - hopefully things will turn around and we can resume birding visits fairly soon.

Stew

With due credit to the birders at Albercutx, today’s totals were:
8 Marsh Harrier
7 Common Kestrel
All the above were on migration.
Also a few House Martins and Barn Swallows.
A surprise total of 7 Alpine accentors around the tower too, a very good number.
Mike

A quick search on the Internet seems to suggest that the reserve at Albufera is closed today and I guess it will remain so for at least the next 15 days.
No birding for us then..except I have set up a birding station on the balcony.
Already seen Scopoli’s shearwaters, Northern Gannet, Peregrine and Red Kite.
It’s looking good. Just waiting for the first Common Swift to arrive.
Keep safe everyone.
Mike

A quick search on the Internet seems to suggest that the reserve at Albufera is closed today and I guess it will remain so for at least the next 15 days.
No birding for us then..except I have set up a birding station on the balcony.
Already seen Scopoli’s shearwaters, Northern Gannet, Peregrine and Red Kite.
It’s looking good. Just waiting for the first Common Swift to arrive.
Keep safe everyone.
Mike

Thanks for info Mike,
Unfortunately I have to stick to Collared Dove, Chiffchaff, Sardinian warbler and sometimes Kestrel passing over from my terrace in Palma

Our thoughts are with the Island. Keep Safe Everyone.

Attachments

• CACE2C4E-49F0-4740-ACA6-DA941D645185.jpeg
    CACE2C4E-49F0-4740-ACA6-DA941D645185.jpeg
    285.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 765E4ABE-6048-45F1-96FF-0FFC7CF38BAB.jpeg
    765E4ABE-6048-45F1-96FF-0FFC7CF38BAB.jpeg
    351.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 34C97904-2BFC-465A-8597-087CED6E2B10.jpeg
    34C97904-2BFC-465A-8597-087CED6E2B10.jpeg
    317.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 6A7FD7DA-C93B-4771-B43E-D09FF2AF325E.jpeg
    6A7FD7DA-C93B-4771-B43E-D09FF2AF325E.jpeg
    391.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 88715044-4722-4ABF-A0CA-463CF09B2AA9.jpeg
    88715044-4722-4ABF-A0CA-463CF09B2AA9.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 30
I spent the first day of the lockdown birding from my balcony. I can see the sea from where I am and I logged high numbers of both Scopoli’s and Balearic shearwaters and a “first” for my balcony list, a fine adult Northern Gannet.
It’s a shame that I couldn’t visit the lighthouse because as luck would have it, the shearwaters were flying really close to the coastline and it would have been marvelous to have watched all those seabirds so closely.
I guess there will be few records for the next two weeks as leisure activities are prohibited.
I will do my best to keep the thread going by giving some general information and maybe some predictions of what’s to come.
Lots of migrants will be appearing soon and as Pep said recently, it’s the most exciting time of the year.
Mike

It will be interesting to see how much they will be asking for it. I've generally found them to be VERY expensive.

Martin

Correct Martin! NHBS now have it in stock, but it’s £34.99 (presumably plus postage). Hopefully things will get back to normal for everyone soon, and among the many other benefits I will be able to get my copy on the island (unless meanwhile it becomes available from other sellers at a price closer to the Spanish price!).

A small thing I know, given all the other trials and tribulations for folk out there. Mike, what’s the Lockdown List up to now?

Stew

Hi Stew, lockdown list is pretty poor, just 13 species. All the Black redstarts seem to have moved on and no sign of any Common Swift yet, I have always seen them by now.
I could always buy a copy of the book from Albufera and post it to you, I’m getting a few for other people but the problem is of course that I can’t go out and the reserve is closed.
Unsurprisingly, no news today.
Only 13 more days to go then..
Mike

Hi Stew, lockdown list is pretty poor, just 13 species. All the Black redstarts seem to have moved on and no sign of any Common Swift yet, I have always seen them by now.
I could always buy a copy of the book from Albufera and post it to you, I’m getting a few for other people but the problem is of course that I can’t go out and the reserve is closed.
Unsurprisingly, no news today.
Only 13 more days to go then..
Mike

Thanks for the kind offer Mike, I may take you up on that eventually..

Not getting much in the way of leadership over here - just “discouragement” and vague advice, with the spectre of 70+ year olds being asked to self-isolate for four months hanging over many people. Still, it is what it is.

Keep that list going!

Stew

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back