• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2023 (3 Viewers)

Can Cuarassa 07.00-08.30
6 Bee-eater were perched up in a tree by the club del sol at 07.00 so presumably must have roosted there, a further 26 were perched up together at the end of the Track made a lovely sight before being spooked by a Woodchat and moved off. 2 flew through high.
A male Marsh Harrier was hunting and a single flew through.
A Turtle dove was again on wires, along with a total of 5 Woodchats around the gardens.
3 Spotless Starlings were again on 'Pins 16'
A total of 11 Tree Pipit went through along with 12+ 'flava' wags.
An Eleonora's flew towards Albafereta at 08.20.
Passage passerines inc 3 Willow warbler and a singing Sedgie.
A Great Reed Warbler showed nicely in scrub by the bus stop opposite the Club del sol.

Llenaire 10.00 - 12noon
Bee-eaters were on the move with 5 groups (51, 10, 27, 15, 47) going through. 2 Red Kite and 2 Booted eagle were on the patrol near the hotel, from where 2 Black vulture, followed shortly by a Griffon, drifted along the ridge giving nice views.
A female Pied fly and a willow warbler were in the grounds, also there Wryneck, Thekla lark and Hoopoe were singing.
7 Woodchat Shrike was a good tally and included a tail-less male.
A Black Kite spiralled briefly before moving on.
1 Tree Pipit and 4 Flava wags flew through.

I met Kevin and Mike M at Maria de la Salut early this morning. While the locals drank beer, wine and spirits and ate Frito we had cafe con leche as we planned our day on the central plains. The sun shone and at times the temperature reached 29° as we spent 3 hours wandering the quiet lanes. Very quickly we had our target bird of lesser kestrel with a pair sat up close by in a bare tree giving a perfect ID opportunity. Throughout the morning we had quail calling, 2 short toed larks, 2 thekla larks, red legged partridge, dozens of corn buntings, 2 Bonellis eagles, a red footed falcon and several marsh harriers and red kites, a beautiful close up pale booted eagle and a slightly more distant dark morph, a peregrine falcon and a griffon vulture completed the haul. We retreated back to the cafe at the sports centre for a refreshing cana beer before Mike had to leave us. Kevin and I then headed to the Depuradora at Albufera. From the platform we saw 2 collared pratincole and 5 whiskered terns but the star bird was a common cuckoo. It was on the top wire and on the fence posts of the field opposite the ponds. In all we watched it for over an hour as it made short hops from one post to another and occasionally disappeared into a small copse before reappearing again. There were 2 woodchat shrikes nearby to keep us entertained. We stopped off along the Son Bosc road hoping for bee eaters but once again couldn’t find any. Our final visit was to Albufereta and a walk around the mound which remarkably quiet. It was now time to head to Aries Bar to take on fluids after almost 10 hours in the field. The central plains at this time of year are an absolute delight and today was truly special. As we would say at home “ a canny day aaal roond”. Thanks guys.
Great report, much appreciated. My wife and me will be there 3rd May for 2 weeks so it's a nice taster! Would you be able to give us an idea of where we might catch up with the Lesser Kestrels please? We've been birding on the island several times over the years but never caught with Lesser Kestrel there.

Following on from Mike M post 450, Kevin and I had a leisurely walk along the Can Cuarassa track this morning. Upon leaving Mike and Jane we were joined by Peter S and we walked the loop around the ponds and screens before heading to Llenaire. At Can Cuarassa we had a beautiful male whinchat, 2 or 3 whitethroat, 2 spotless starlings and a fly over female/juvenile golden oriole. The walk along Llenaire was very quiet and the bee hive fields and the wires failed to produce any bee eaters which were there this time last year. Our final stop was an hour at Albufereta. The fields at the finca had 2 stone curlews and at the main ponds only a few flamingo were showing. Sa Barcassa ponds had 10 common terns and the usual avocets, black winged stilts and Kentish plover but nothing else of note. Perhaps the hottest day of the last 10 and great to be out.

Where are these ponds and screens Dave?

I am familiar with the (old) Albufereta area but not with the Ca'n Cuarassa track. (I do remember the restaurant as well as the Bar Llenaire from many years ago).

Our three night stay in Pollença has been solid birding so far which hasn’t gone down too well, but the best curry in Mallorca will soon put that right.
Nice to meet Steve and Carol from Liverpool at the depuradora where we enjoyed 3 Collared pratincole, a Gull-billed tern and a Cuckoo perched on the fence.
Off to Albufera where I met Barry and his son from Newcastle and they showed me a Squacco heron in their scope. I was very grateful as the heron has given me the run-around every time so far.
A Great Reed warbler was in full song and full view, rounding off a perfect morning.
Well, it would have been if the White stork hadn’t flown off before we got there. Kevin was just leaving and he had terrific views of it occupying the Osprey perch.
More birding to come but I had better ease up a bit.
Easier said than done.
Mike

Where might this be found Mike?

We won't be out on the island until September this year but I do like to be prepared. ;)

Hi Alf.
Cardamom City is in the square by the church in Puerto Pollença but I know many birders here live or holiday in the area and will give you precise directions.
I’m from the south of the Island and I’m just not as familiar with places up north. I still get lost up here.
I’m sure they will help as I know they go there!
It is superb.

Hi Ian
Lesser kestrels can be seen in many areas on the Central Plain, most notably at Villafranca, near the depuradora and surrounding areas, and at Maria de La Salut which is a big area but looking on the overhead cables at Maria will produce results with the chance of Red-footed falcon too.
I can send a map by personal message.
May is the best month.
I must say that Jane and I have fallen in love with the Pollença area. So near to most of the birding hot-spots.
I guess if I had my time again, I would have chosen to live up here.
Another great advantage is that I keep bumping into Birdforum members which has been a great bonus.
In the south I’m nearly always birding alone.
We will definitely be holidaying up here every year, maybe twice if I can manage that.
The atmosphere in the town after dark is heady stuff, it’s buzzing and very inviting.
All the very best to visiting birders, we have loved our time here.
Mike

Note:
The Lesser kestrels are not difficult to see but please keep away from any buildings to avoid disturbance.
They perch readily and are often on the overhead cables which give very good views from the roads and paths.
Thanks
Mike

Attachments

• CF2484AB-31F4-496B-BCE7-26731A464383.jpeg
    CF2484AB-31F4-496B-BCE7-26731A464383.jpeg
    716.4 KB · Views: 13
Where are these ponds and screens Dave?

I am familiar with the (old) Albufereta area but not with the Ca'n Cuarassa track. (I do remember the restaurant as well as the Bar Llenaire from many years ago).
It's part of the PN s'Albufereta. A lane runs west from the MA2220 just south of the Club del Sol. You can drive along the rough track to the MA2202 but the viewpoints are only accessible on foot on the path parallel to the coast road. The Ca'n Cuarassa building is still there.

Had a good walk along the Boquer Valley today. Had a beautiful male Blue Rock Thrush just through the second gate to the valley. Nice to look down on one rather that up for a change. Also there we heard Stone Curlews but didn't see them and also saw distant male Redstart. A few Crag Martins and a couple of Ravens were flying around too. Further along were lots of singing Sardinian Warblers and several Serin. A pair of very vocal Kestrels were around the large rocks. On the walk back we took the lower, less busy path and had a single Balearic Warbler. This was only the 3rd time in 14 years we'd had one along there so we were very pleased to finally catch up with one. A Red Kite and Balearic Spotted Flycathcher were the only additions in the way back. Also seen today was a single Hoopoe along the Avenue of Pines before our Boquer Walk. All-in-all a good day considering we got out a bit later than we intended.

Birding in the Boquer Valley!!! Eulogised by Gosney, Watkinson, Hearl, Bannerman and most recently Montier. I had the pleasure of spending 4 hours in the Valley today with Mike when we saw next to nothing. We met a number of other birders who had also seen next to nothing. Highlights were pale booted eagle, peregrine, blue rock thrush and ……?.
From there I went with Peter S to Can Cuarrasa and the Llenaire lane. Here we had a group of calling bee eaters and plenty of calling corn buntings but little else. An altogether underwhelming day for birds but great craic in every other regard. There always tomorrow!!!

Can Cuarassa and Llenaire 06.45-09.15
Quiet this morning.
A White Wag was feeding along the shore.
6 Bee-eater went through and 6 Turtle doves were on the wires.
3 singing Wryneck at Llenaire inc a showy bird.
7 flava wags and a Tree Pipit were on the move.
Thekla Lark sung along the back lane.

Llenaire 10.00 - 12noon
Bee-eaters were on the move with 5 groups (51, 10, 27, 15, 47) going through. 2 Red Kite and 2 Booted eagle were on the patrol near the hotel, from where 2 Black vulture, followed shortly by a Griffon, drifted along the ridge giving nice views.
A female Pied fly and a willow warbler were in the grounds, also there Wryneck, Thekla lark and Hoopoe were singing.
7 Woodchat Shrike was a good tally and included a tail-less male.
A Black Kite spiralled briefly before moving on.
1 Tree Pipit and 4 Flava wags flew through.
Is this around the Pollenca Park Hotel?
Thanks,
Rach

Hi Rach, from the llenaire roundabout, take the road marked, half way along this straight road is a small turn to your right which takes you to the Llenaire Hotel. All sightings were from the roundabout, to the hotel and continuing along the main road for about a mile.
Hope that helps JonathanScreenshot_20230426_131704_Maps.jpg

Hi Rach, from the llenaire roundabout, take the road marked, half way along this straight road is a small turn to your right which takes you to the Llenaire Hotel. All sightings were from the roundabout, to the hotel and continuing along the main road for about a mile.
Hope that helps JonathanView attachment 1506390
Thank you Jonathon. That's great. We may take a stroll tomorrow.
Rach

Hi Alf.
Cardamom City is in the square by the church in Puerto Pollença but I know many birders here live or holiday in the area and will give you precise directions.
I’m from the south of the Island and I’m just not as familiar with places up north. I still get lost up here.
I’m sure they will help as I know they go there!
It is superb.

Hi Ian
Lesser kestrels can be seen in many areas on the Central Plain, most notably at Villafranca, near the depuradora and surrounding areas, and at Maria de La Salut which is a big area but looking on the overhead cables at Maria will produce results with the chance of Red-footed falcon too.
I can send a map by personal message.
May is the best month.
I must say that Jane and I have fallen in love with the Pollença area. So near to most of the birding hot-spots.
I guess if I had my time again, I would have chosen to live up here.
Another great advantage is that I keep bumping into Birdforum members which has been a great bonus.
In the south I’m nearly always birding alone.
We will definitely be holidaying up here every year, maybe twice if I can manage that.
The atmosphere in the town after dark is heady stuff, it’s buzzing and very inviting.
All the very best to visiting birders, we have loved our time here.
Mike

Thanks Mike,

I am very familiar with PP but didn't know which had the reputation as the best curry house. I live in the depths of post-industrial West Yorkshire so do know a good curry when I taste one - we have literally hundreds to choose from.

Back home now and just off for a seawatch.
Attached a few photos of our fabulous trip.
I saw my first ever Palm weevil. I’m not sure what to do when one is encountered.
I understand they do a lot of damage.
Comments would be appreciated.
Mike

Attachments

• AC275CA1-0C4F-4E3A-BA95-A0C983F5EBA7.jpeg
    AC275CA1-0C4F-4E3A-BA95-A0C983F5EBA7.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 20
  • 141207A4-680A-476C-BDFD-16923FA0E04E.jpeg
    141207A4-680A-476C-BDFD-16923FA0E04E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
  • BB19B305-2187-4B7D-B7A0-428FA3045427.jpeg
    BB19B305-2187-4B7D-B7A0-428FA3045427.jpeg